GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Horn stopped working.

Vroomer

Banned
So my horn won't work any more. I did check the fuses, and the horn fuse is definitely not burned. What should I check next guys? I do get the honk sound when I lock the car, and I do get a clicking sound when I press the horn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong- but I'm pretty sure the honk sound you get when locking the car is a separate horn from horn you hear when you activate the horn via the steering wheel.

That being said, I believe they're mounted behind the fog light on the driver's side. If you remove the bumper it should be easy enough to replace.

Vroomer

Banned
Someone correct me if I'm wrong- but I'm pretty sure the honk sound you get when locking the car is a separate horn from horn you hear when you activate the horn via the steering wheel.

That being said, I believe they're mounted behind the fog light on the driver's side. If you remove the bumper it should be easy enough to replace.

So you would say it's the actual horn it's self then. Anything else I should check first before going through with buying a new one?

tdiatlast

Passed Driver's Ed
Two horns, one on each side. High is on the driver's side, low on the passenger side, behind the headlights, above the fog lights.

The low tone horn is a frequent fail, my dealer always keeps them on the shelf. I'm not aware that the high tone fails as often.

If BOTH aren't working, it's probably farther back up the wiring, but I can't help you there. Are all your other steering wheels buttons/stalks working 100%? Any chance it's a clock-spring issue (which is now an official recall for the NMS Passats)?

Good luck.

Vroomer

Banned
Is the low tone the one that goes off when we press the horn? Or would that be the other one? All the wheel buttons work.

Last edited:

luvdagators

Go Kart Champion
Its the clock spring down inside the steering wheel column
Have too take it in too the dealership
I doubt its a wiring or horn itself issue
The clock spring is an issue on the vw's

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion

there are 3 HORNS.

- one on each side of the radiator/condenser/SMIC (lower section)
- one behind the passenger front fender (CAR ALARM SIREN)

Vroomer

Banned
Its the clock spring down inside the steering wheel column
Have too take it in too the dealership
I doubt its a wiring or horn itself issue
The clock spring is an issue on the vw's

Does that also cause steering to be light and not direct?
This morning it was definitely off, lots of movement in the wheel, very scary.:eek:
I thought all it did was not make the buttons on the wheel/horn not work, and I only have one of those issues (buttons are fine).

Last edited:

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Does that also cause steering to be light and not direct?
This morning it was definitely off, lots of movement in the wheel, very scary.:eek:
I thought all it did was not make the buttons on the wheel/horn not work, and I only have one of those issues (buttons are fine).

definitely not. are you sure its not just cooler weather making your steering feel different., your tires are way harder in cold weather and also one problem makes you paranoid about everything.

also, my horn doesnt work either. hasnt worked since VW did an alignment for me. Thinking they must have tried to take off my wheel and that clock spring issue happened

Vroomer

Banned
definitely not. are you sure its not just cooler weather making your steering feel different., your tires are way harder in cold weather and also one problem makes you paranoid about everything.

also, my horn doesnt work either. hasnt worked since VW did an alignment for me. Thinking they must have tried to take off my wheel and that clock spring issue happened

No, something is definitely wrong, the wheel is extremely loose. I can probably move it an inch and the car doesn't change direction. :(
Could it be that bolt holding it onto the steering column is loose?

How do you survive without a horn? Drivers here as so shitty I get at least one person a month driving in to me when switching lanes because they don't blind spot check, I am scared to be without mine and its only been a week.

Last edited:

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
No, something is definitely wrong, the wheel is extremely loose. I can probably move it an inch and the car doesn't change direction. :(
Could it be that bolt holding it onto the steering column is loose?

How do you survive without a horn? Drivers here as so shitty I get at least one person a month driving in to me when switching lanes because they don't blind spot check, I am scared to be without mine and its only been a week.

haha here too its just that i always forget to have it fixed because i only remember its broken when something happens. Then by the time I get home, I've driving so aggressively that I have to get out and lie down for a while and I forget all about it.

Vroomer

Banned
So guys I realized that my steering control is fine, it's the fact that the wheel has gone completely numb and light that's the issue. I have Detroit's on so normally steering is heavy and I get tons of road feedback, but it's all gone now. The wheel turns as lightly as a feather and I can't feel the road at all, I got the car up to 140kmh and it still stays just as soft and numb. Could the clock spring be causing this? I am taking the car to a shop on Friday for a scan too.