GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I hate my clutch!

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Alright, so from the little research that I could do (magazine test articles, YouTube videos, etc) it seems that the clutch in the Mark 6 isn't an issue. I've bought the little plastic "short throw" clutch travel stop thingy, and it's cool, definitely better than stock, but my clutch seems to have a very small area in the throw where it engages and disengages. God help me I have tried to get over it, but between the clutch and slight turbo lag (which wouldn't be an issue if not for the clutch) I dislike driving if I expect to be stuck on a hill, which happens almost every day in the Bay Area.

I've owned several cars with standard transmissions, but this has got to be the worst. I adore my car other than this, but it's kind of ruining the fun.

Is it possible that a clutch adjustment is needed? If not, what else could be going on? This is not the original clutch btw. I believe it was replaced at a local dealership, but I'd have to check my records. I do remember being bummed out that the previous owner spent around 2k to replace it. I don't want to constantly feather the shit out of that 1" (or whatever) to keep from sliding into the car behind me. Why have a foot long throw with a tiny miniscule uptake?!

Thanks, and I'm listening to all advice.

2010 GTI 6mt, Autobahn, APR Stage 1 tune, Freakishly Clean

joeyfrost

Ready to race!
That is exactly the type of fix I was hoping for! I'm gonna try this as soon as I'm feeling better. Thank you very much.

Yes, I believe the replacement clutch is an oem fitment.

You could also check on vagcom and see if hill assist is on. I know it sounds dumb but since youre by a lot of hills it would be good to double check that its activated. You can also change how long the brake holds for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
has anyone ever read about/heard about negative effects of removing the delay insert?

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
You could also check on vagcom and see if hill assist is on. I know it sounds dumb but since youre by a lot of hills it would be good to double check that its activated. You can also change how long the brake holds for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, does the GTI not have hill assist? My R does.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
My 2011 gti definitely had hill hold assist enabled, until I turned it off.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Mine does not have Hill Assist. I've tried turning it on via obdeleven and no dice.

oldtype2

Ready to race!
My '13 Drivers Edition GTi did have hill assist. It worked really well. Maybe it's something that can be enable in VCDS on the 2010 model.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
I looked into it quite a bit and had some trouble with sensors after trying to turn it on. I initially thought it would work because I had read that other 2010 6mt's had it, but I came across others that didn't. Mine appears to be one that does not have it. I don't have vagcom, and haven't tried long coding with obdeleven because I'm smart enough to know that I know just enough about coding to screw everything up. I have mixed feelings on the device. It's very buggy and I didn't appreciate dealing with their techs because I don't like being accused of lieing. It wasn't my fault that their software said that I did something that I did not do. I think that there should be automatic backups before you can even mess with long coding via obdeleven. Warnings too. I understand more if vagcom doesn't because it isn't really marketed to the casual user. The expense makes it obvious.

Last edited:

oldtype2

Ready to race!
I looked into it quite a bit and had some trouble with sensors after trying to turn it on. I initially thought it would work because I had read that other 2010 6mt's had it, but I came across others that didn't. Mine appears to be one that does not have it. I don't have vagcom, and haven't tried long coding with obdeleven because I'm smart enough to know that I know just enough about coding to screw everything up. I have mixed feelings on the device. It's very buggy and I didn't appreciate dealing with their techs because I don't like being accused of lieing. It wasn't my fault that their software said that I did something that I did not do. I think that there should be automatic backups before you can even mess with long coding via obdeleven. Warnings too. I understand more if vagcom doesn't because it isn't really marketed to the casual user. The expense makes it obvious.

There's a used Micro-Can cable for sale on Vortex now for $200 shipped I think.

Micro CAN VCDS for sale (Vagcom)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=8627713&share_fid=7951&share_type=t

This was the first thing I bought when I got my Mk6, so nice for coding things yourself. I got mine used for $180 at the time.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
In terms of coding, what is the difference between vagcom and obdeleven? The support, knowledge base and helper I'd imagine are the biggest things? If you can long code with obdeleven, can't you use the same wiki to achieve the same goals? My understanding was that the "10%" that you can't do with obdeleven versus vagcom was more along the lines of diagnostics. I very well could be wrong.