GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire recommendations?

MK6BRO

Passed Driver's Ed
Still on the stock pirelli's that I think came on the car and they have been awful. I've gotten one patched before and it seems like every month or so they just start losing air. This weekend one just went flat and I'm just going to get new tires.

I'm looking for reliable, all season tires that won't break the bank. Probably low profile tires since my car is pretty low. I'm also on the 18" detroit wheels.
Anyone got a couple recommendations for me? I'd like to go to Tire Rack or Town Fair Tire than order something online and wait for it to come in. Thanks!

Marco'sGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought a set of the BFGoodrich g-force a/s set, and weren't that expensive. They had really good overall ratings for the seasons, and have seen other members run them. Another popular one, which is slightly more expensive but probably a better tire is the continental extremecontact DWS.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
If you HAVE to get an all season then I'd recommend the Continental DWS or the BF Goodrich Comp-2 A/S. Both are solid options in terms of value and performance. I believe either can be had for under $500. I see you're in CT, so I'd recommend picking them up in Windsor Locks by the airport to save yourself $65 on shipping

225/40/18 is the oem size... assuming you're not bagged or super slammed it should be fine.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I just bought a set of the BFGoodrich g-force a/s set, and weren't that expensive. They had really good overall ratings for the seasons, and have seen other members run them. Another popular one, which is slightly more expensive but probably a better tire is the continental extremecontact DWS.

Haha, great minds think alike :lol::lol:

TheCor

Ready to race!
I just got the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ and love them. BF Goodrich was the 2nd highest rated on Tirerack out of 25 and they were cheaper. I've just had good experiences with Michelin in the past and went in that direction. Stock size, super quiet, good in the wet so far.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
How many miles are you getting out of your DWS?

I went through 6 DWS tires in 2.5 years when I had my MKV. The fronts would get TRASHED in under 12k miles.

I would not buy those tires again on anything but an AWD car. They lacked grip in the dry and once they were a little bit worn were worthless in the snow.

Once I got rid of my GTI I started buying dedicated summer and winter tires for my cars.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I went through 6 DWS tires in 2.5 years when I had my MKV. The fronts would get TRASHED in under 12k miles.

I would not buy those tires again on anything but an AWD car. They lacked grip in the dry and once they were a little bit worn were worthless in the snow.

Once I got rid of my GTI I started buying dedicated summer and winter tires for my cars.
Ever hear of tire rotations?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm dunno i have the summer version DW (not DWS). and they have been great.

I have the DW on my R. I had Pilot Super Sports on it previously. I can tell the sidewalls on the DW tires are softer. They grip hard but I can feel the sidewall roll more than I could on the PSS tires.

I'm hoping that by getting a half inch wider rim the sidewall stiffness will feel better.

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
haha I started a thread about this in the wheels/tires section. Good info in there