GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible torque steer issue?

azanon

Hello guys,

I have a MKVI GTI with Unitronic Stage II ECU/TCU, and would consider myself a novice in terms of both driving and car mechanics.

I (and the few others) that I let drive my car have noticed that if I fully accelerate the car, that it sometimes pulls pretty strongly to the right, so to combat that I have to either really hold the steering wheel tight or try to pull it back straight after it pulls right. It's bad enough that I'm not exactly sure if it's safe for me to fully accelerate if there's a car in the right lane (on a multi-lane highway).

Does this sound normal given my car's front-wheel drive and current power level, or is there possibly something mechanically wrong with my car that needs addressing? I don't feel like the car is out of alignment on normal driving, and the tires are almost new.

Thanks!

azanon

Just called my local mechanic, and he said this was normal because I have so much power now going to one wheel, and recommended that I add an LSD. I trust him and assume this is correct. I'm open to any suggestions or comments though.

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Lol, go drive a Mazda Speed 3. They torque steer out of the factory like mad. It's safe to drive.

azanon

So yeah I never noticed the problem before I tuned it (2012 I bought new in Oct 11, didn't tune until last year), so not saying it was a problem initially. But I definitely notice it now with this Stage II tune. There's no way I'm going to live with it like that if a LSD will resolve it. My mechanic suggested a Wavetrac LSD (my preference would be for whatever is considered the best quality regardless of cost).

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Torque Steer is not resulting because of the lack of traction. The contrary.

LSD doesn't improve Torque Steer, it improves traction.
Chances are that Torque Steer will become even MORE apparent with adding an LSD as you will add more traction to the "system".

The MazdaSpeed 3 which is notorious for its Torque Steer, does have a factory LSD.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
If you have access to VCDS, you can turn on the Torque Steer Compensator (TSC) in the Steer Assist controller. This feature is turned on for FWD vehicles that have higher power engines, such as the older 3.6 V6.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
If you have access to VCDS, you can turn on the Torque Steer Compensator (TSC) in the Steer Assist controller. This feature is turned on for FWD vehicles that have higher power engines, such as the older 3.6 V6.
Haha same thought! Check the video I posted above.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
Haha same thought! Check the video I posted above.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I actually just tried this over the weekend and didn't really like it. Changed it back to 0. With TSC on, the steering felt unnaturally heavy during normal driving. I like how it feels at 0 and I'll just grip my wheel tighter for those times where I romp on it.

Interestingly, I also changed my wife's A3 to 1 and on her car, it was ok. But the A3 normally has a lighter steering feel already, so it now feels like the GTI.

azanon

I actually just tried this over the weekend and didn't really like it. Changed it back to 0. With TSC on, the steering felt unnaturally heavy during normal driving. I like how it feels at 0 and I'll just grip my wheel tighter for those times where I romp on it.

Interestingly, I also changed my wife's A3 to 1 and on her car, it was ok. But the A3 normally has a lighter steering feel already, so it now feels like the GTI.

Ok so well crap. So on the plus side, I don't need to spend some 3K parts and labor for a LSD because it won't solve my problem. But on the negative side, it's probably not worth trying to resolve with the TSC setting because of this. I don't want to trade one problem for another especially since it's not THAT often that I get on it.

So I guess I'm just going to have to learn to hold on to the wheel tight. Again being a novice, the car damn near put me in the other lane yesterday when I got on it.

Does the R do this too? Was just wondering if its AWD system helps this any.

Last edited:

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
Awd definitely helps. My dad's audi A6 with the 3.0t Quattro never torque steered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

simpson110

Ready to race!
I'm ko4 with the tsc turned on/up and have almost no torque steer. I don't notice any difference in steering feel between the two. I would recommend trying the tsc option to see if it works for, it probably will.

azanon

I'm ko4 with the tsc turned on/up and have almost no torque steer. I don't notice any difference in steering feel between the two. I would recommend trying the tsc option to see if it works for, it probably will.

Ok I'll give it a try. Just gotta find me someone that has a vagcom to do this, or see if the same mechanic will do it for me. I personally probably have no business having one of those since I can barely change the oil ;-)

(edit) ok called the mechanic and he's going to turn TSC on me for a small labor charge.

Last edited: