GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Miles Per Tank?

mena1982

why would u get a gti and drive like a pu..y wtf its a gti punch that shit till the engine dies on you and you get the other one tnhats why u buy a new car so when u have a rpoblem u go at the dealer and u just say to them when should i come and pic it up.

mena1982

i got like 5000miles on it and i tried to baby this car but i cant i love that noise from the exsaust i keep it on 6rpm 24/7 thats why i bougth a GTI and i dont make more then 210/220 per full tank but i am telling you this car is non stop on hi rpm i love it

zambrowiak

Passed Driver's Ed

:w00t:

mneitzel

Got it just last Saturday. My commute is mainly two lane back roads. I am getting 30mpg so far. Which is fantastic, figuring how much fun this car is. I think I could beat it, but the first section is 5 miles of twists....

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Averaging about 300mi/tank with 100% city driving... but being very easy on the throttle.

When I boot it the mileage goes down. :D

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I got 37.8mpg on my 28 mile commute to work, mixed highway and city driving...insane. combined intake and stage 1 i think attribute to this.. per fill up though, I am up or down 30mpg, with stomping on it every so often.

victorM

Passed Driver's Ed
If I've done the math correctly I get about 460-465 miles per tank. We use Km's in sweden.. :p And measuring in km's I get about 650-750 per tank.. :)

hey mate, are you talking about 1.9 diesel or driving all the time in 6- 80 km per hour

cheers

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Thing is, I'm coming from a V6 mustang which was 3.8 liters and the same size gas tank and I used to get 230+ miles per tank on 87 octane gas. Same driving I'm doing now. I just figured a 4 cylinder 2.0 l engine should do a lot better esp with the higher octane!

I'm sorry, but what has higher octane gas got to do with mileage? It's not related.

jokerific

Ready to race!
If my math is correct, mine would do about 400 miles per tank (judging by the last fillup). 26.5ish mpg average over an 85% highway commute with lots of hills. Computer said about 29.something average before the last fillup.. seems like a lie. Still breaking in though...

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
My MPGs in my GTI are bad.

My last fill-up I pumped 14.51 gallons** with 274.7 miles on the tank.

That works out to about 19 MPG!

Stock car, with family (so no hod rodding), do have a roof rack on car with a Thule storage bin.

** Yes, I know the capacity of the tank is 14.5.
Yes, I was on empty with less than 5 miles range.

These are beside my point. I've noticed since day 1 that this car gets much lower than advertised MPGs. The best I have ever done is 27 MPG driving on the hwy at 70-74 MPH using the cruise, no A/C, windows up and with one passenger. This 19 MPG is now the official worst I've had in this car.

Chasing Neil

Passed Driver's Ed
My MPGs in my GTI are bad.

My last fill-up I pumped 14.51 gallons** with 274.7 miles on the tank.

That works out to about 19 MPG!

Stock car, with family (so no hod rodding), do have a roof rack on car with a Thule storage bin.

** Yes, I know the capacity of the tank is 14.5.
Yes, I was on empty with less than 5 miles range.

These are beside my point. I've noticed since day 1 that this car gets much lower than advertised MPGs. The best I have ever done is 27 MPG driving on the hwy at 70-74 MPH using the cruise, no A/C, windows up and with one passenger. This 19 MPG is now the official worst I've had in this car.
my gas mileage is about the same, and have to admit pretty disappointing. I once had to fill up my tank after only 240 miles. that was mostly city driving, but still it was a shock. i've since let up as much as i can without defeating the purpose of buying a gti and now i avg anywhere from 20 mpg - 22, getting 270 - 300 miles per fill-up which is always about 13.5 gallons.

i think i'd be happy if i was consistently getting 300 miles or over with my current mix of city/highway, but i pretty much have to baby it for the entire tank to get there.

the best mileage i've experienced was on a drive to and from vegas. avg 29.5 mpg on a tank with 99% highway miles.

Nefilim

Ready to race!
I feel a lot better reading other people get crap MPG in city. Almost all of my driving is in town and I get 20-24. I felt like I MUST be driving it too hard if I get such low MPG.

I usually shift around 4k as to not attract the attention of cops when I'm feeling like driving spirited.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Chasing Neil and Nefilin,

When I was initially considering the GTI, I took one home for the weekend (I've bought several cars from them) and the only difference between my car I bought and the one I test drove for the weekend was the color.

In the 60 miles I drove on the test driver car...
I reset the gas mileage on my way home from the dealer which was mostly hwy. On the 15 mile hwy drive home, cruising at 70 MPH, I had nearly 33 MPG on the computer (avg) readout. By the time I got home (another 7 miles) in city driving conditions, I had averaged over 28 MPG (no hard starts or hot rodding since the car was still in breakin period). For the entire weekend, I averaged on the computer readout 27 with about a 50/50 mix of city/hwy.

I was impressed, given my previous car which was a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Avant manual. That car got 23.5-26.5 MPG on average with city/hwy mix, but it was also 350 lbs more. I could consistently get high 20s and low 30s on the hwy.

On my way home from the same dealer with my new GTI, I reset the computer and checked the avg MPG when I drove. After the hwy stint of 15 miles I had only avg 28.X MPG and by the time I got home the avg dropped to 26.X - again without aggressive driving. I knew right away that there was a difference between my car and the test driver. That was worse than my Avant and I thought it might improve, but it has not for 6000 miles I've driven.

I've taken my GTI to the dealer to have the car checked (90 day insp and 5k oil change), and they said it is normal - go figure.

Last edited: