GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big turbo Mk6 vs bolt on and tune STI

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
wow i thought it was much more than that really makes you wonder how much work was done on these 400-500whp ones you see online

My cousin is fully building his '09 WRX with a BW EFR twinscroll turbo. It's going to run him about $17K to fully build everything (at least that's how much he's spending to get everything that he wants done). He's expecting 550whp on conservative boost. He said his tuner has never used that turbo on a WRX yet, but on an EVO it got up to 650ish whp.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i get how much work it would take to get to 5-600whp but i overestimated how well they take mods. it seems like almost every sti or evo i see is claimed 300-400whp so i assumed that was the kind of numbers they get from standard kits like what the k04 is to us. i forgot most oems don't set their turbos to half the boost it should have out of the box like vw does.

CherryRedOne

Ready to race!
I figure that for a sti to beat me from any kind of roll they would have to be around 400whp or higher. My car hooks up really well at lower speeds I am surprised.

I really want to run a c6 corvette (non z06) or camarro, 5.0 mustang

rquinn19

Ready to race!
i get how much work it would take to get to 5-600whp but i overestimated how well they take mods. it seems like almost every sti or evo i see is claimed 300-400whp so i assumed that was the kind of numbers they get from standard kits like what the k04 is to us. i forgot most oems don't set their turbos to half the boost it should have out of the box like vw does.

300whp isn't that hard. Especially on a dynojet. Anything more than that though you have to start worrying about internals, gears, clutch...cant just slap a slightly bigger turbo on like a k04. Worst thing is the engine has no balls under 3k. Not familiar with the newer VWs but my 1.8T started hittin at 2k. Started boosting at 1800rpm

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
My cousin is fully building his '09 WRX with a BW EFR twinscroll turbo. It's going to run him about $17K to fully build everything (at least that's how much he's spending to get everything that he wants done). He's expecting 550whp on conservative boost. He said his tuner has never used that turbo on a WRX yet, but on an EVO it got up to 650ish whp.

Thats a steal. Most people who have 550-600whp STIs are 30-40k deep in the drivetrain.

For 17k I wouldn't expect it to be very reliable unless he is running corn.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

kern417

Go Kart Champion
300whp isn't that hard. Especially on a dynojet. Anything more than that though you have to start worrying about internals, gears, clutch...cant just slap a slightly bigger turbo on like a k04. Worst thing is the engine has no balls under 3k. Not familiar with the newer VWs but my 1.8T started hittin at 2k. Started boosting at 1800rpm

the 2.0t is the same way. max torque 1900-5000 rpms.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Thats a steal. Most people who have 550-600whp STIs are 30-40k deep in the drivetrain.

For 17k I wouldn't expect it to be very reliable unless he is running corn.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

Hence the conservative boost. The 30-40k seems steep but not unheard of. My friend who regularly tracks his hawkeye STI has 10k alone into suspension and wheels.