GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canadian 2011 GTI deal: Want to hear your thoughts

steeliedan5150

picked up my 2011 gti 4 door csg dsg autobaun pkg for 32,000 out the door tax and license in seattle, wa. I would not pay any more than that. Be willing to walk away if they won't budge. Also, get financed prior to walking to the dealership. My 2 cents

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
38k for a GTI? what the hell are they smoking in Canada?

FasDarken

Ready to race!
38k for a GTI? what the hell are they smoking in Canada?
the good stuff....
really though its not just GTI's its all cars. We get the short end on that deal.

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
the good stuff....
really though its not just GTI's its all cars. We get the short end on that deal.

Man that's alot. Can you guys buy one in the States and Take it back? I almost bought a MK2 Jetta in Canada but never did so I dont know how it works.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Man that's alot. Can you guys buy one in the States and Take it back? I almost bought a MK2 Jetta in Canada but never did so I dont know how it works.

You can, but you will lose warranty with most manufacturers. And be taxed heavily if the car did not come from a factory in US, Canada, or Mexico.

See these posts for a member who wanted to buy a GTI in Canada:
It will be a pain to import it. 6% duty, 12% tax, shipping costs if you're not driving it up, the speedometer will need KM/H labeling (not sure if alt display speed feature is enough), need a recall letter from VW America or a dealer clearing for import into Canada, 3 inspections in BC, and various administrative costs.

Oh, the warranty will also be void in Canada.

I also looked into importing a GTI from the US into Canada. I would say, No. Here is why (I asked two WA based VW dealers): They were told by VW US not to sell to Canadians. So, what the dealership does to discourage new VW vehicles sales to Canadians is to require them to register the vehicle in the state where the dealership is located. So in the case of WA, you will have to pay WA registration and insurance plus the WA sales (8.5% or more, I believe. It varies from one county to another). So, even though a Golf or GTI sells for a lower price in the US, all the other duties, brokerage, importation fees, HST, inspection, retrofits, etc. that ROASTPUFF mentioned just adds to the cost making it not worth the hassle. Mind you, you do not pay duties if the vehicle you are importing is made in Canada, US or Mexico (i.e. NAFTA trade agreement). The Golf is made in Germany so you will get charged 6% import duties at the border.

Also, VW USA offers only 3-years of bumper to bumper warranty. VW Canada offers up to 4-years of B-to-B warranty. You need to factor this in, as well.

So, I decided to just purchase my GTI locally. Another minor plus side is that I am also helping local business.

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
You can, but you will lose warranty with most manufacturers. And be taxed heavily if the car did not come from a factory in US, Canada, or Mexico.

See these posts for a member who wanted to buy a GTI in Canada:

Intresting, Thanks.

sh314

Ready to race!
Yes, the prices are ridiculous here in Canada.
I have a '11 DSG w/Nav on order, and it costs 38k after everything.
Too much tax and duties here in BC

tluver

Yes, the prices are ridiculous here in Canada.
I have a '11 DSG w/Nav on order, and it costs 38k after everything.
Too much tax and duties here in BC

Is Nav all you're equiped??
If your car is loaded with detroit wheels and leather seats as well, you've got hellagood deal :D

YES... only in Canada lol

sh314

Ready to race!
Is Nav all you're equiped??
If your car is loaded with detroit wheels and leather seats as well, you've got hellagood deal :D

YES... only in Canada lol

The only options I got were DSG and Nav. No leather, no 18's, no sunroof.

:(

ataman

Ready to race!
I just got offered $500 above dealer cost plus $600 Doc fee ( I know it is high...)

seppieboy

Ready to race!
i paid a 3500 dealer markup over the sticker back in 09 just because i want the car so much :) if you want it... buy it! :)

twisted by dezign1

Passed Driver's Ed
That is a good deal. GTIs have small margins so to get any sort of discount on a GTI means you have a good deal. Also, it helps to shop in the Winter (and at the end of the month) when GTI sales are slower.