GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone use Toluene to mix with 91 gas to get 104 ?

kakluote

Ready to race!

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
I am almost certain there are pollution laws in the US against doing this but probably not in China. Also, you would need like a 50% tank of toluene to get 104 from 91. Furthermore, it's very hard to ignite toluene and if it's not well-mixed you will have some major issues.

I advise against using any additives other than actual fuel (SS100, MS109, GTX, etc) to raise octane in order to run higher performance maps. I do not even use W/M to run a 100 map with 93.

kakluote

Ready to race!
I am almost certain there are pollution laws in the US against doing this but probably not in China. Also, you would need like a 50% tank of toluene to get 104 from 91. Furthermore, it's very hard to ignite toluene and if it's not well-mixed you will have some major issues.

I advise against using any additives other than actual fuel (SS100, MS109, GTX, etc) to raise octane in order to run higher performance maps. I do not even use W/M to run a 100 map with 93.

it is also not allowed here.

my only options are troco acc or toluene.... which one is better?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

Toulene is actually a by-product of gasoline productionion and contains exactly the same ingredients as regular gasoline. It is an excellent anti-knock fuel at 114. It is also has greater density than gasoline and contains more energy per unit volume. It is very effective in turbo motors as it degrades more slowly than 100oct gas or Methanol when under load. Recommended not to use more than 30% Toulene in a gas mix.

Toulene was actually used as a fuel in F1 cars. They ran 84% Toulene and it was so effective at suppressing ignition they actually had to heat the fuel before injecting it.

Yes it works, but it seems impractical unless you have no access to race fuel. I use water meth to reach higher octane levels and find it convenient and you only use it when you really need it.

It is also a REAL health hazard if not handled properly.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
I use to run Toluene on my 450+whp SRT-4 for years when I would go racing(1/4 mile, street, etc). It was great at preventing knock and the car felt like a beast running it when compared to 100 octane fuel, heck, I could always tell when the mixture hit the injectors as the engine idled so smooth on it. I use to buy it in 5 gal drums at the paint store but the per gal price is too high now to keep using it :(

kakluote

Ready to race!
I use to run Toluene on my 450+whp SRT-4 for years when I would go racing(1/4 mile, street, etc). It was great at preventing knock and the car felt like a beast running it when compared to 100 octane fuel, heck, I could always tell when the mixture hit the injectors as the engine idled so smooth on it. I use to buy it in 5 gal drums at the paint store but the per gal price is too high now to keep using it :(

what is the mixture rate?

socal87

Drag Race Newbie

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
A friend of mine use to use Xylene in is Mazdaspeed as a shortcut to race fuel.

Toluene and Xylene are the most common ingredients in off the shelf octane boosters. you have to use quite a bit to get to 100oct though. MTBE is also commonly used as a home brew octane booster.

Xylene can be purchased at home depot and lowes for the same price a Toluene. IIRC Xylene was 116 or 117oct vs Toluene being 114oct.

You would need about 4.5 gallons to hit 100oct if you had 93oct.

You would need about 5 gallons to hit 100oct if you mixed with 91oct.