GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RPM hang after IE stage 2

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Re-torqued the bolts on the knock sensors tonight to 20nm or 15 ft-lbs, albeit on a warm/hot engine. If that doesn't fix the problem I'll have to replace them, I'll do both while I'm in there.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I guess I owe you guys an Update, or :sm3:

UPDATE:
We bought and paid for IE Stage1 and 2 a few weeks back. Since I have to wait on a core credit to help pay for the IE Intake Manifold before installing Stage2, .... we went ahead and installed Stage1 to see how it compared with what I had done to my Stock Tune with WinOls. IE Stage1 was definitely better than the changes we had done with the Timing and Limiters BUT alot better than the Stock Tune.

With the stock intake manifold, the IE Stage1 is the Tune that VW should have installed from the get go, every Golf 2.5 should have it installed (both 5sp or Automatic),....period.

When you open her up, P-Flo sounded good with stock tune but simply fantastic with the Stage1 Tune. :thumbup: My Dealer lovin Brother in Law was impressed so he considering IE Stage1, he can save $ by using my Integrated Engineering V3 Dongle to install the Tune.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Had a problem on our trip down south, the engine wouldn't pull, the gas milage was pretty awful and felt and sounded like the timing was retarded. We must have picked up some bad gas along the way; :iono: couldn't drain the gas so we ran it down a bit and topped up with some Shell 93, reset the fuel trim by turn ing on/of a few times :happyanim: and continued our journey.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Too many bean and cheese burritos.
Hahaha, I totally missed this comment.

Been enjoying good 93 octane gas on the IE Stage1 Tune down here, pulls better than with 91. Went to Roeblin Road Track yesterday and was able to get a few laps in at the end of the day with the Robin Liddell Group, seems they were done early. Paid way too much for the amount of laps we got and had to show CASC license to get on, if it was a Porsche or BMW DE day I wouldn't have show anything. This track is fun in the dry but fu*k!ng scary in the wet, you carry alot of speed from turn to turn, found it hard to judge entrance speed into the sweeping turns here, tried both on and off the rain line.

The IE Stage1 had better mid range than stock so help me out alot when I misjudged the speed and had to ease off then get back on, so :thumbsup: for flexibility, playing around I hit ~7k on the tac before the rev limiter kicked in :thumbsup:, the straight is pretty long here, high end performance is about the same except you can rev a bit higher but you really don't gain anything but the IE Stage1 Tune sounds better doing it.

PS. Thank god, for skinny Pilot Sports AS3 on a rainy day.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I wish we had 93 here in California. It would help offset the octane hit from routing the valve cover vent line to the intake.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I wish we had 93 here in California. It would help offset the octane hit from routing the valve cover vent line to the intake.
I don't think it's that big a deal, the compression ratio is only 9.5:1 which is not high by any means by todays standard, one of my vintage Porsches has 9.5:1 compression ratio and is Chipped and I can run 89 without pinging and the leak down numbers are great, so compression is true to spec.

I'm running the cheap but hotter NGK ZFR5E-11 spark plugs in the Golf without issues. If you run a colder plug like the NGK BKR7E, venting to the intake manifold should be no problem. The NGK BKR7E by the way is more for the cars with turbo like the 2.0T, we should be running spark plugs with heat rating of 5 or 6 for the 2.5, thats the spec operating range to NOT foul, BUT you in California, what bad weather do you see. ;)

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I plan on flashing to IE Stage2, next week after I get the exhaust leak sorted. Right now with the exhaust leak there is a dead spot just above 3K, if i back off then get back on, BUT if i rev from low to high rpm it is not too noticeable.

First test/observation will be to see/answer the question of the EI Stage2 Tune with the Stock Intake manifold. I hope to flash back to Stage1, if it runs like Sh!t.

Second will be to install a hack manifold that I started working on yesterday, .... more later.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
WW, What is this round plug area in the pic of the IE SRI ?

Attachments

• IE SRI UpsideDown.JPG
    IE SRI UpsideDown.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 124

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I have no idea. I think I powder coated over it. IE leaves it raw for some reason so my thought was something butts right up to it and I was worried I would have to grind the powder coating off there but there is nothing even close to it. All I could figure is the Jetta is configured slightly different at that spot.

There was a bracket for something on my car in that area I had to bend out of the way to get the SRI on but it was more towards the block. Maybe whatever goes on that bracket in some models has something to do with it but I doubt is as the bracket alone is in the way. I just took a hammer and folded it over on itself. When I do my first smog I will just cut it off with a dremmel while I have the intake off.

Off to go get an oil change at the dealer this AM. The only thing I will let them touch my car for. I enjoy the upsell techniques. Last time they told me next time I come in I should think about new tires as mine are getting pretty worn. I looked at the guy and couldn't help but laugh a little. They had 4K miles on them (no track time).

I am due for rear brakes though. I just did the Harley brakes. Now time for the VW.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
...Off to go get an oil change at the dealer this AM. The only thing I will let them touch my car for....
Surprising :iono: what you do on your car but get the Dealer to do the oil change.

After my first eye operation a couple of years ago, I had the Dealer do my oil change, they slightly over filled it over the top mark,....didn't like that so haven't been back.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Surprising :iono: what you do on your car but get the Dealer to do the oil change.

After my first eye operation a couple of years ago, I had the Dealer do my oil change, they slightly over filled it over the top mark,....didn't like that so haven't been back.

Only reason I have them do it is it costs just about the same to have them do it vs me doing it. It's 80 bucks with a carwash. It cost me almost that much to change the oil myself and have the car washed. I haven't had a problem with them doing it so far.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Only reason I have them do it is it costs just about the same to have them do it vs me doing it. It's 80 bucks with a carwash. It cost me almost that much to change the oil myself and have the car washed. I haven't had a problem with them doing it so far.
NP, but my DIY oil changes are like $50 CAD including taxes.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I have been toying with the thought of replacing the Throttle Body on my car as the throttle has been erratic from day 1 and I have tried everything to get it worked out and have gotten it better but starting out in first is still problematic. Problem is a new TB is not cheap and I am not going to buy a used one because who knows what I would get. I ended up getting a new Grams 70mm Throttle Body off a guy on here for $250 and I am going to see if this fixes the issues I am having. The Grams TB is supposed to have much better TPS so we will see. If it works out it will be my favorite mod to date as the erratic throttle has pissed me off from the start.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
WOW,.... Ya didn't !!!:iono: I shoulda responded earlier but was distracted with other things.

I woulda tried just another throttle body or new MAP sensor first to see if either had a positive effect.
Going from 57mm to 70mm is too big a step, you would potentially lean out by up to 60% as the throttle opening is outa sync with the fueling maps.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Haven't heard anyone complain about a lean condition moving up to this TB. The TB isn't really a bottleneck on the golfs so I wouldn't think it would be an issue. I have read a bunch of people throwing the 70mm on their cars with no ill effect. The ECU should adapt.

Already replaced the MAP sensor and a new VW TB was almost as much as the Grams, so might as well go with the better of the two.

IE uses an 80mm TB on some of their builds.

Last edited: