GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volkswagen needs your help - seriously!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
They have decided to think about offering the Golf-R (R20) in North America.

We as as team need to be VERY Proactive and respond to them in a serious manner.

Please keep in mind the more people we have email them the more of a chance we have getting this sweet ride here.

Thanks for you cooperation in this matter!

The Golf-R Dude

Where to email:

volktalk@vw.com

Place into SUBJECT Field: Golf-R (R20).

Then blast away and remember our cars future depends on your serious repsonse.

Thanx muchly!

pmurphy2500

Sent to VW

VW,

If you can get the R20 here for around $32,000 loaded, I would buy it. Offer the European seats. We're not all fat slobs. Of course, if the Scirocco were available, I'd take a serious look at it up to $35,0000. The only thing keeping me from looking at other cars in your lineup is lack of AWD, except for the top of the line CC and your SUVs. Your interior and driving dynamics are much better than Subaru, but you are losing Jetta and Passat sales to the Legacy and Golf sales to the Impreza. Why? You have the technology already available to you. If you're worried about EPA numbers, offer turbo gas and diesel options. An AWD, DSG, diesel touque-monster Golf / Jetta would set you alone in the marketplace. You could have much more marketshare.

If you don't buy my AWD argument, check out the sales numbers for Subaru during the market implosion the last couple of years. Subaru (quality/AWD/price) and Hyundai (price and vastly improved quality) dominated the industry in the USA. You're better than Subaru on the interior and driving dynamics and you're better than Hyundai in all areas except price. That is, if you ACTUALLY SOLD the cars that I describe above. Instead you sell FWD sedans cross-shopped against vastly more powerful Camrys and Accords. Americans demand 30% - 70% more HP than Europeans for similar-classed cars. Offer AWD sedans and hatches in the 250 - 350 HP range and watch your sales grow...

I don't care if your marketing people disagree with me, because I am right and they are wrong.

Paul Murphy

DriV3n

Ready to race!
To whomever makes the decision of bringing the Golf R (R20) to the U.S.-

I am the proud owner of a 2009 VW GTI and really enjoy driving my GTI. I welcome the opportunity to give any of my friends and co-workers a ride in my GTI. I currently live in Des Moines, IA and will soon relocate to Cleveland, OH. I've read countless articles regarding the newly released 2010 Golf R. The 2010 Golf R has the 3 things I must have in a vehicle: Styling Sophistication, a robust power-plant (270 HP), and finally, an all-wheel drive system.

I purchased my 2009 GTI exactly one year ago this month, and did so with apprehension, having seen concept art of the 2010 GTI. I preferred the styling of the 2010 even when I drove off of the lot in my 2009 GTI. When I discovered there would be an all-wheel drive version of the GTI I knew I would have to purchase it. Please bring the Golf R (R20) to the U.S. I will certainly purchase one.

Kind regards,
Joe Gonzalez

P.S.

A manual gearbox would certainly be appreciated and preferred.

--
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle

Wild Hare

What I sent them:

To whom it may concern,

I have been a devout VW car enthusiast since 1977 when I first entered the U.S. Air Force. My first VW was Air Cooled ’69 Beetle that I converted into a Domus Flatback kit car.

My first “new” car was a Water Cooled ’83 GTI that I fell madly in love with!
I Road Raced & Autocrossed my ’83 GTI competitively in the SCCA while stationed in Merced, CA for 6 years.

In 1997 when I retired from the Air Force I worked for Mercedes Benz and I saved my bonuses to restore my ‘83 GTI to better than new. I took it to a local Hot Rod body shop that only did Hot Rods and I had a full “strip to bare metal restoration and full repaint with clear coat” done… as well as all the rubber seals replaced in the entire vehicle. After $3,000 she was looking awesome.

In ’98 I purchased a new Audi 1.8t Quattro off the Internet in Chicago and had it delivered to our M-Benz dealer here in Washington State. In the 9 years I owned the Audi I modified it to 250HP. I loved the Quattro!!! My next new car was my fully loaded ’07 5-door GTI.

I love the ’07 GTI with one exception ---- no AWD! I have modded this car as well. In stock or modded form this car cries out for AWD (4-Motion).

I know that VW failed miserably with R32 and not offering a manually transmission in the later portion of its availability. I do marketing analysis for a company that I work for. After reviewing the big picture of what cars are currently available in the category of the Golf-R (R20) it would NOT be to your benefit to abandon the Golf-R in the USA or North America. You would lose a vast amount of sales to the Subaru WRX as well as STI and the Mitsubishi Evolution. Devout VW enthusiasts WILL pay for the Golf-R!

Without a replacement in North America for the R32 there would be a “serious void” in a market niche that currently is very much alive!

After my research online with the many VW forums I frequent… I found that most people who prefer a Manual transmission are single and own a 3-door VW. Whereas, most people who would prefer the DSG transmission have a family or family members who visit on occasion and own a 5-door VW. These are all facts that I have discovered in my research over the last few years since the MKV GTI has been offered here in North America. It wouldn't hurt at all to offer both transmissions in 3 or 5-door in limited numbers if necessary.

I also believe that if the base cost of the Golf-R is kept slightly under $40,000 it will be a real hot seller here!

Please bring the Golf-R to North America… VWOA will not regret it… not one itoa!

Sincerely,

Erik.............

THEIR REPLY:

Dear Erik,

Thank you for visiting the Volkswagen website. We appreciate your interest in the Volkswagen Golf-R. Your loyalty and enthusiasm in the VW brand is great!

The North American introduction of the R Line is under consideration. However, no decision has been made at this time. Please feel free to keep in touch with us for future updates.

Thanks for sharing all your photos, Erik. How very exciting!

Heather
Volktalk

n2oinferno

Ready to race!
I received a reply as well:

Dear Dwight,

Thank you for visiting the Volkswagen website. We appreciated your interest in the Golf 20.

Your enthusiasm regarding the Golf R20 is certainly flattering. Unfortunately, due to current marketing objectives, there are no plans to produce this model for the North American market. Keep in mind that objectives could change at any time. Your comments are important to us and they will be shared with the appropriate staff members.

Thank you for your submission.

Wanda
Volktalk

pmurphy2500

Response from VW

Dear Paul,

Thank you for visiting the Volkswagen website. Your interest in the Volkswagen brand is great!

The North American introduction of the R20 is under consideration. However, no decision has been made at this time. Please feel free to keep in touch with us for future updates.

We appreciate and value your insight in this matter. Have a great day!

Heather
Volktalk

Wild Hare

I wonder if we could get Heather & Wanda together in the same room and come up with a real answer? LOL. Still crossing my fingers!

rs_hunter

Ich blute VW-Blau & weiße
"Marketing objectives...", I read that as "wanting to sell a de-contented mid-size sedan to Camry and Accord owners".

thekinger

Passed Driver's Ed
i thought it was already coming to the US?

that's what i thought, too?!? i asked my local dealer about them a couple of weeks ago and he told me they were getting 'one' in a couple of months, which would put it around december'ish...:iono:

OHSNAP

Sent the following:

To whom it my concern. I am an avid VW enthusiast. I have owned Volkswagen vehicles my entire life. I haven't been "that" excited about a vehicle in a long time, UNTIL the R20 was shown in Frankfurt. I would like you to know that I would be very interested in this vehicle if it were offered in the states. Upon test driving, I'm sure I would buy. I'm interested in a manual gear box, suede and leather seats, AWD, 250+ HP... I currently own a 2008 GTI and would like to upgrade. Please bring the R20 to the states so that I can have a PROPER upgrade...

Thanks,

-My name

Mark@CarolinaVW

VW Product Advisor
I spoke with a rep from Germany yestersday. He was here (from wolfsburg) for a training session.

I asked him about R20 availability and he said "probably" and he is going to ask more about it when he gets home and get back with me.... So maybe there is another source...

However the US area rep wasnt really thrilled with the R20 until VW gets more of a market share. His response was that people need to buy Jettas and such so that VW can import the R20 / GTI-R.

We will see. We all know that Volkswagen AG is boss.

http://carolinavolkswagen.blogspot.com/

My VW blog - When I have more infor from him I will post up there.