GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LightningRhod's quest to 200k.....and beyond

MegaMikeLA

Ready to race!
Great thread! I got my GTI in November of 2010 as well and I just hit 83,000 Miles. Looks like I am right on track with you haha. I've been doing Royal Purple and filter every 3k miles. Just installed the R8 coil pack with new NGK plugs. "Averaging" 28-29mpg if I go the speed limit....bahahah.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Haven't updated this thread in a long time, but here is a short gist at some happenings over the last few months

- Currently sitting on 109k miles :)

- Got into an accident. Lady next to cut off a motorcyclist who was lane splitting (which is legal in California). Dude and his bike fell on my left fender (I was sitting still in traffic), but the guy was ok. Has since been repaired.

- Bought a custom Colgan front bra to protect the new respray on the bumper :)

- Battery died after coming back from business travel. Car sat at SFO for 4 days. Bought a portable jump starter. The car starts now, but the battery holds just enough charge to start the car every day.

- After the battery died and I got it back up and running, started getting weird errors/warnings from the car. Sometimes I get "Keyless defective", "AFS Module not working", and "Steering column needs service" errors, which vanish after a few seconds after I start the car. May be related to the low charge on the battery. Will need to replace the battery, just haven't had time.

- Some piece of metal hit my right headlight on the way home from Tough Mudder in Tahoe. Just got the replacement headlight, still need to install.

- Getting weird, sporadic CEL's. Will come on for a day or two, then magically disappear (???). Haven't got it scanned to see what it is yet, but will probably do it soon.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Change that battery brah

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
are all these miles on the stock water pump still? are you still going to HPDEs? im thinking about doing one again

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Change that battery brah

Yeah, the stock battery needs to go.

are all these miles on the stock water pump still? are you still going to HPDEs? im thinking about doing one again

Yes, I'm on the stock water pump. Still doing track days, went to Laguna Seca in December. I'll be going back to Laguna this December as well. I'll be running with the NCRC, let me know if you want to roll.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Updated the first page with the important maintenance updates.

2 weeks ago I finally switched out the passenger headlight (that had a hole in it) with a new unit. It was initially aimed WAAAAY too high so I had to manually adjust it with the adjustment screws on the unit. Took maybe 15 mins to get them right. All is good now.

Just some pics from the repair process:

20141005_182311 by ichibankakkoii, on Flickr

20141005_182321 by ichibankakkoii, on Flickr

20141005_182415 by ichibankakkoii, on Flickr

Last Tuesday I came home with a terrible smell coming from the car. I thought it was just the cabin filter, but the smell was coming from outside the car. Popped the hood and low and behold saw smoke coming from the battery!! Popped the battery cover and saw fluid all over. Luckily I had the new battery that I bought in my trunk so I changed it out real quick in the morning before heading out to work.

89k miles left to reach 200k!! Haha

Last edited:

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Car threw a CEL the other day. Scanned it and got "P0302: Cylinder 2 misfire". I'm guessing the coilpack is failing (I have the R8 packs). I'll try to switch it out with my stock ones to see if it'll remedy the problem.

Car runs fine (no sporadic behavior in power delivery), though it feels like its a little down on some horsepower.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
So the check engine light turned off yesterday. This is probably the third time this has happened: CEL comes on for 2 days, then turns off by itself. Weird.

Thats pretty normal. There is still a record of the code inside the computer. I find that if its not a recurring issue it will turn off the light after a couple days.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Thats pretty normal. There is still a record of the code inside the computer. I find that if its not a recurring issue it will turn off the light after a couple days.

It actually turned back on today. I'm willing to bet that it will turn off in the next couple of days. I should probably just clear the code all together. Car hasn't been struggling or chuggling from what I can tell.