GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a Used MKVI GTI (waterpump?)

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

New user here! My car was totaled in a deer strike so I have to get a car soon. I was looking at MKVI GTI's before the accident but now I'm seriously looking.

I found a 2012 Autobahn GTI 6-Speed 45,000miles with all of the options I would like, in the color I want, with 15k left on the powertrain warranty.

The car looks to be in great shape cosmetically. I wanted an unmodified car but has an intake and tinted tails.

The CarFax look fine BUT it has had two waterpump failures (about 15k apart from eachother) The waterpump was replaced at the dealership under warranty.

Would there be any damage to the car besides the waterpump itself? Would any issues from this arise while I'm still under warranty for another 15k miles? The waterpump failure itself does not scare me, but issues that could result from overheating do. What should I look for? Should I pass altogether?

Thanks.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Drive the car and make a decision.

If the water pump failures don't scare you, then you'll be alright.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Drive the car and make a decision.

If the water pump failures don't scare you, then you'll be alright.

The failure itself is not a problem as I can fix it myself.

I'm worried about any mechanical damage that could have been caused from the previous owner after the pumps failed.

What should I look for while inspecting and driving the car?

CarFax:

09/06/2013
17,289 Miles: Water pump replaced
Drive belt(s) replaced
Cooling system checked

10/03/2014
32,893 Miles: Water pump replaced
Drive belt(s) replaced
Cooling system checked

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Chances are that the car was taken to the dealer as soon as the pump failed. So mechanical issues shouldn't be a problem here. You never know though.

Go for an extended test drive, make sure it doesn't overheat. Listen for anything odd. These cars have a tick at idle from the direct injection so don't fret over that.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
water pump happens regardless of how owner treats the car. It's just a design flaw with this car, if you have powertrain warranty, you should be good for 15k more miles. Also tinted tails and intake won't affect your car mechanically, heck you should be happy that you're keeping 400-700$ in your pocket. But on dash, you may get a bulb out warning light caused by em, but thats easily fixed with vagcom.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
water pump happens regardless of how owner treats the car. It's just a design flaw with this car, if you have powertrain warranty, you should be good for 15k more miles. Also tinted tails and intake won't affect your car mechanically, heck you should be happy that you're keeping 400-700$ in your pocket. But on dash, you may get a bulb out warning light caused by em, but thats easily fixed with vagcom.

Tinted tails, not LED tails ;)

Probably no bulb out lights since they are most likely tinted OEM tails.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I'd say that if there was a problem due to an overheat it would have shown up by now. If this is the the car you want I'd say go for it.

BigDezzy

Ready to race!
I am super fastidious with my car maintenance and probably baby my car more than most. My water pump went out a few thousand miles ago. I noticed the leak and got it fixed before the low coolant warning. Most times where the water pump has been replaced more than once has resulted from a faulty installation from the auto Tech. If the car looks clean, has a good Carfax, test drives well, and has been looked at by a vw dealership then I'd say you've done due diligence ith research in the car.

Just don't ever fall in love with a car… They always break your heart! Ha ha Ha

Jhayesvw

Passed Driver's Ed
Remember that the waterpls do not stop working. They just leak.
So the chance of an overhead issue is very slim.

Maybe ask the dealer to run a compression and leak down test?