GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

squeaky clutch

bruce_lafleur

hi guys, I really hope I get this right and am not posting in the wrong section..

I've a 2 door 2011 gti, stick. bought it at 53K miles almost a year ago and it's now at 60K

when we shift into 1st, if it's not done 100pct perfectly and the clutch rubs a little, it screams a little instead of just rubbing. I changed my oil (even though it wasn't time) and that somehow fixed the problem but just a few days later the squeaking came back. we live in new york where it had been pretty cold until recently, not sure if that has anything to do with it. wondering if others have experienced this.. I feel like it's something very stupid but i don't know what to look for exactly and i don't want to hurt the transmission.. just sounds like something's not lubricating properly..

any hints? thanks..

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Throw out bearing. Mine was doing it only before I reached operating temp and then it went away. Then it did it all the time. Then it finally went out... It will continue to do that and then one day that clutch is going to go in and not come out. I had it happen to mine. It takes replacing the whole clutch. Ran me about 300 all said and done through my local shop.

AaronC1

Ready to race!
I thought some said this is glazing on the disk surface? Although it is more of a little squeak and not a scream.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
If its making noise when the clutch is being disengaged and engaged then its the throw out bearing. You might also find it sticking a bit when its being disengaged.