GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic stage 2 acceleration problem

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
NeoSA, quick question about the DSG tune. didn't remove the rev limiter? I don't mean when you're moving, i mean when the car is on N or P and you rev the shit out of it. Is the limit gone?

Thanks,
Moe

Hi Azzore

Nope, that limit is still there as far as I know? The rev limiter that gets moved is for the one when you're actually moving. To be brutally honest, I've always thought that rev limiter when in Parked mode was there to protect the box, so I've never bothered checking :p

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
This might sound ridiculous, but I got a Untronic Stage 2 DSG tune this weekend and it absolutely minimized my car's weird mid-throttle issues. I believe it may be down to my car's torque and the fact that without a DSG tune, it doesn't know what to make of it. Now with the torque limit increased, the DSG knows how to behave again and it's totally awesome.

My advice: if you are stage 2 or above, get a DSG tune. It's a no-brainer.

Glad you're enjoying it Pieter! :thumbsup:

Jaber

Modero
So to bump this thread. I recently isolated a small boost leak, that could be heard at half throttle and patched it up for now, until I order a new IC hose. But during this ordeal, I did quite a bit of half throttle pulls and it drove me pretty nuts at times. As I stated above, I don't recall this behavior on Stage 1+.

Here's a couple scenarios and observations I made. I'll try to eventually capture the behavior on my GoPro and log whatever is recommended.

A. In Drive mode: From a roll going 30MPH, I go half full throttle and car boosts to 15-17PSI and holds steady, all way to usually 80MPH, that's when I shut it down.

B. In Manual mode: From a roll going 30MPH, I go half full throttle and car boosts to 15-17psi, but then drops down to anywhere from 4PSI-6PSI, when this happens I naturally push the throttle a bit more and eventually find a spot where I can get it to boost higher and start pulling again. But the car on initial half full throttle pulls nice and hard, but then dies down.

Based on the two observations, seems like going half throttle in D mode always gives the best, smooth power delivery. But it's not always ideal, in certain situations where I'm not driving in D mode. So I'm wondering if NeoSA is correct in the problem maybe lying with the DSG. Sadly I don't have enough money for DSG tune anytime soon and really would worry about voiding warranty. Transmissions is something I fear paying when it breaks.

This weekend I'll be autocrossing, which will probably involve a lot of partial throttle and throttle modulation. So we'll see how it goes.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
howsit mate!

Like I said previously, the DSG tune only minimized it. It's still there and some days are worse than others. So don't stress. I don't think you need to spend money on a DSG tune at all.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you put your stock intake back on?

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Nope. What the OP is experiencing (same as me) is not lag.

As a fun-fact: I loaded a 100 Octane map this weekend as a trial run and, tada, that weird hesitation went away. I'm now 100% convinced that the hesitation at partial throttle is the actual tune/map and has nothing to do with the car itself.

That's why I wish Unitronic would spend a bit more time on their maps now (like APR did) and bring out some refreshed and fine-tuned maps for the MK6 platform (especially on Stage 2+). Their maps are nowhere near as "refined" as they think they are. There's a lot of work still needed.

Jaber

Modero
Here's a quick video I took this morning. Sorry, don't have my GoPro, so had to use my cell phone. But this is in M mode, the start, I ease into throttle (A/S tires, didn't want to roast them from the redlight :)) and I eventually end up at partial throttle, when boost goes down, I give a bit more throttle input, you can see it goes up, but comes back down.

If I were to do the same exact thing in D mode, I can control the boost much easier and smoother. Boost is constant, unlike in M mode. I'll try taking a video of D mode, with same conditions.

No issues with full throttle, or accelerating normally around town, where I'm usually boosting less than 10PSI. It's only when throttle is around 50%.

Jaber

Modero
Same street/pedal conditions (partial) Look at that smooth delivery in comparison lol.

BuiltforSin

Ready to race!
Did Unitronic fix this issue? I have a 6mt and want to go stage 2, but I'm now hesitant after reading up on all these issues people are having.

I had same issue with my Uni Stage 2. Partial throttle DV / boost dump in 2nd or 3rd gear

Installing TurboSmart 50/50 BOV fixed this. Its something maybe to do with compressor surge.. i dunno

robertschultz1

Ready to race!
I had same issue with my Uni Stage 2. Partial throttle DV / boost dump in 2nd or 3rd gear

Installing TurboSmart 50/50 BOV fixed this. Its something maybe to do with compressor surge.. i dunno

This makes for a rather uncomfortable ride with a DSG. The partial throttle buck that makes it feel like a hard shift requires a lot of throttle finesse. The only issue I have with the tunes. Makes me feel like it is causing damage to the transmission itself.

SJC

Ready to race!
I am Unitronic stage 2 including stage 2 DSG and my car surges between 3,000 and 4,000.
Catted Unitronic downpipe, 3” adapter to Magnaflow cat back.
Surging is very annoying!
My installer is working with Unitronic for a solution .

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
I am Unitronic stage 2 including stage 2 DSG and my car surges between 3,000 and 4,000.
Catted Unitronic downpipe, 3” adapter to Magnaflow cat back.
Surging is very annoying!
My installer is working with Unitronic for a solution .

Boost oscillation/surging is usually related to the MAF. Work with the Authorized Dealer; they'll get you sorted.

SJC

Ready to race!
This might sound ridiculous, but I got a Untronic Stage 2 DSG tune this weekend and it absolutely minimized my car's weird mid-throttle issues. I believe it may be down to my car's torque and the fact that without a DSG tune, it doesn't know what to make of it. Now with the torque limit increased, the DSG knows how to behave again and it's totally awesome.

My advice: if you are stage 2 or above, get a DSG tune. It's a no-brainer.

I’m Unitronic stage 2 for both ECU and TCU.
Still surges between 3 and 4,000 rpm.
GFB dv + didn’t help
New plugs, R8 coils, etc.
Next up
Is a new N75 valve?