GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stalling Again

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Pretty sure this is related to the low press fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, fuel pump module J538 or fuel filter). J538 issue may throw a code but the rest don't.
Thanks, lets not Confuse things, this is for a Golf 2.5 engine not the 2.0T (EA888) controls are different.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Are you still interested in fixing your stalling problem?

If so you have to make an effort to come back to the forum often, and be willing to try stuff and report back.

Being missing in action isn't going to get anywhere.

VW Steve

Ready to race!
The story so far: After getting the crankshaft position sensor, the purge valve, and the knock sensor fixed, I was fine for six months, November 2018 o May 2019. It then stalled again four times in a month - two times with a few moments of each other while I was in line at the car wash. I just got the wiring harness replaced - for $1804! The three previous repairs were under warranty. It's hesitated twice since I got it back, and if it happens again, my mechanic says he'll replace the computer under warranty. This is never going to end!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Steve, there was a Question on the Youtube "Ask DAP" Channel, about the 2.5 stalling / shutting off was that You?

To summarize, in that Episode Paul Barrett suggested that the problem was Fuel related as there are no Trouble Codes and suggested replacing the Fuel Pump. If it was you, you should have a mechanic follow up BUT as I said in my very first Post in reply to you, replace the Fuel Pump Relay, it's like $20 and you can replace it your self

For other family models this relay as well as the Ignition Switch, has create this problem so the Golf 2.5 is not immune. Go to the Dealer and buy one then go to where the Relays are located and swap them out, easy peasy.

FOUND It: Steve, I found the Ask DAP video link, its from a guy named Shawn E so my apologies.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Sucks. I feel your pain. I don't think I will ever get my throttle issue resolved. If it's electrical on a modern car there are some things that will just may never get resolved.

VW Steve

Ready to race!
I got my car back from the dealership twenty days ago, and it stalled again today! First it stumbled in traffic, then it stalled while I got out to open my garage door to put the car away! Now it's time to have the computer replaced - under warranty.

If this happens again after the computer has been replaced, I'll probably take it to an independent mechanic, tell him what happened, and ask if it's the fuel pump relay. And if it turns out that I never needed an $1804 wire harness replacement, I just might sue my dealership.

I'd like to keep my car for awhile, because the chances of a base Golf being offered in America for the eighth generation are slim and the chances of me being able to afford a Golf GTI are even slimmer. I have the very sort of car I want, yet it's also the sort of car you can no longer get. :(

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Agreed. I love the golf but mine has it's gremlins as well which I fear are also computer related. I would not take my car to the dealer unless it was warranty work. Even then it would have to be worth it. When the MAF sensor went I bought a new sensor at the dealer and the service manager tried to make me feed like an idiot. He said loudly in front of a bunch of people "you know we would have replaced that under warranty. Next time talk to me first. All you have to do is pay the diagnostic fee." "Oh ya", I said. "How much is that?" "$120" he replied. So I said, "Alright. So I can pay you $120 to fix it under warranty and leave my car with you all day or I can buy the part for $75 and spend 20 minutes replacing it." To that he had no reply.

And after a service advisor at a different dealer argued with me that the 5 speed in my car did not use transmission fluid and the only fluid in the transmission was the clutch fluid I lost all faith.

Well actually I lost all faith when I had to take my car to a tire shop before I could do the wheel bearings last weekend. The dealer rotated my tires at my last oil change and apparently just used an impact gun to tighten the lugs. I broke a braker bar at the swivel trying to remove the lugs. I tried my 450ft/lb electric impact wrench and that got a couple of them off after some serious effort. I am amazed none of the lugs broke. They were essentially torqued down to like 500lbs. I think recommended is 90lbs. Thank God I didn't need to change a flat.

Last edited:

VW Steve

Ready to race!
Wascally Wabbit: Oh, man, that's brutal! My dealership is slightly more competent. The wire harness replacement is the only repair I've had to pay for, and even though the computer isn't technically under warranty, I won't have to pay to get it replaced because the harness replacement was guaranteed for a year. And then my car shut off with 49 weeks on my guarantee to go.

I've noticed that the next Golf will be full of high-tech gadgetry, even in the base model, which I still hope America gets. But even if America does get it, I might not be able to afford even that, what with the premium VW would likely charge. And the instrument panel will be all panel and no instruments - just a digital readout and a touchscreen for all of the controls. I don't even have a touchscreen on my cell phone - it's a flip phone - and I hate the idea of having to read and touch a screen to turn something on when I can fiddle with a dial or a knob without having to look because I know where it is. And the computer in the Mk6 is what's causing all my stalls, how would a Mk8 fare with all of that extra gadgetry? :eyebulge::hitcomputer:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
https://youtu.be/nPE0NM_VOg4could be your N80 purge valve, WW is actually looking into it for his issues.

Found this video, worth a try for you as well.

After reading up on the evap system I could actually see this being a possible cause of a stalling issue. I don't think the issue would be with the N80 purge valve necessarily, and I believe you replaced that, but potentially with the another part of the Evap system, such as the charcoal canister or vent solenoid. Because the system controls where and how the fuel tank vents it could definitely cause the car to stall.

The evap system switches how the gas tank is vented based on certain conditions. Perhaps at some point the system is not allowed to vent properly for some reason and the car stalls. It would not surprise me at all if this issue was emissions system related as those are always the hardest to find. Well the golf is no exception. I am almost 100% convinced my throttle issues are evap related.

The problem with this is I have no idea how you would troubleshoot this short of disconnecting the system which for all intents and purposes is not really feasible. It is actually a somewhat complicated system.

A telltale sign would be if the car was stalling shortly after refuelling.

A final thought. If you only have the issue when the car is stopped and at idle this is when there would be the biggest draw through the evap system.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
....A final thought. If you only have the issue when the car is stopped and at idle this is when there would be the biggest draw through the evap system.
That's one of times he has the problem, two times consecutively at the Car Wash.

After he had the car worked on he had no problems for 6 months, then the problem returned, could be as simple as dried out rubber hose, remember I mentioned in another thread how the 3/8 hose can leak, coz not a tight enough fit around the barbs. 1/4 inch works the best on our 2.5, trust me on this, been there done it, kept getting as little gas cap off pic showing on the dash until every few days until I replaced the hose with a 1/4.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Somewhere in here he said it only happens when the car was not in motion so that was what I was referring to. IDK. Emissions stuff is really complicated and can cause all kinds of problems. If there was a leak it would throw a code pretty quickly. If there was a blockage it would also throw a code very quickly. However a partial blockage would not likely as I think the system monitors the amount of vacuum through the system not air volume. So as long as you had at least a small opening the system would probably still check out. I am going to test this today by going down to a 1/8" line between the N80 and TB. I am pretty sure it won't throw a code.

With the fuel system also it seems that it adjusts itself. I have thought I have fixed my throttle issues many times as I would replace a part and it would run well for a couple weeks only to revert back to the original issue. It's like the ecu resets itself and eventually slowly goes back to whatever settings were causing the issue in the first place. Really frustrating. The evap system used to be much simpler when I had my old Mitsubishi Mighty Max but now it is actually quite complex and the sensors are talking to each other so if one part is out of whack it can manifest itself in other areas.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Somewhere in here he said it only happens when the car was not in motion so that was what I was referring to. IDK. Emissions stuff is really complicated and can cause all kinds of problems. If there was a leak it would throw a code pretty quickly. If there was a blockage it would also throw a code very quickly. However a partial blockage would not likely as I think the system monitors the amount of vacuum through the system not air volume. So as long as you had at least a small opening the system would probably still check out. I am going to test this today by going down to a 1/8" line between the N80 and TB. I am pretty sure it won't throw a code.

With the fuel system also it seems that it adjusts itself. I have thought I have fixed my throttle issues many times as I would replace a part and it would run well for a couple weeks only to revert back to the original issue. It's like the ecu resets itself and eventually slowly goes back to whatever settings were causing the issue in the first place. Really frustrating. The evap system used to be much simpler when I had my old Mitsubishi Mighty Max but now it is actually quite complex and the sensors are talking to each other so if one part is out of whack it can manifest itself in other areas.
Do you hear that tapping noise in the morning? I can't recall hearing it when there is a problem.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Never hear it from the engine bay but I hear the pressure test pump under the rear seats fairly often.
I could be wrong but I believe that's how the Fuel Tank gets positive air pressure. I don't think it is through the fuel cap as it has an O-Ring seal, that's what is being tested when you hear the taping.