GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

p0491

pancakes

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, since going APR I (couple months ago), I now throw p0491 consistently (~ 1 month).

I'm in Germany, so I doubt the local VW shops would have any idea what a SAI is, but I've heard horror stories about not being able to ship my car back with a CEL.

Also, I've heard this can damage the cats... how long do I have until I have to worry about that?

Lastly, would the Torque Pro app be able to tell me anything more than what I know now?

edit: no high-pitched whine.... but startup sounds... "throaty?" Absolutely no probs with driveability.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The SAI is not a mandatory part (my car does not have one and it is a Canadian cold weather car), so if you have it and it fails, IMO it would do no harm to the CAT, it is only there as an emissions requirement by the government.

Torque App can't make the difference, your best bet is to contact APR, ... its their Tune.

Cheers

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Hmm. That's not normal. The shop vac noise yes. The high pitched whine no.

I take this back. I got out and actually listened to my car at startup. Mine sounds the same but I am not throwing any codes or anything. I also gave it the once over when I installed my SRI and it looks good. I am not really worried about it.

pancakes

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, if it's not hurting anything, I'll just leave it.

Anyone know what fuse the SAI is attached to? I think I read elsewhere that I can reset the CEL, then pull the fuse before the CEL has a chance to show up again.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Well, if it's not hurting anything, I'll just leave it.

Anyone know what fuse the SAI is attached to? I think I read elsewhere that I can reset the CEL, then pull the fuse before the CEL has a chance to show up again.
If you unplug the fuse you will still get the P0491 error code, no ?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
If you unplug the fuse you will still get the P0491 error code, no ?

That's my guess. I believe the only way to get rid of the code would be to disable it via Vagcom if that is even an option. I am not sure if they make any of the newer golfs without the SAI pump. If they do then likely there would be a setting in Vagcom to tell the ECU it is not equipped.

They make a kit to remove the SAI so there must be a way to disable it in the ECU to get rid of the code. Or maybe just unplugging it would do it.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
That's my guess. I believe the only way to get rid of the code would be to disable it via Vagcom if that is even an option. I am not sure if they make any of the newer golfs without the SAI pump. If they do then likely there would be a setting in Vagcom to tell the ECU it is not equipped.

They make a kit to remove the SAI so there must be a way to disable it in the ECU to get rid of the code. Or maybe just unplugging it would do it.
In OBD 11 there is a Country Code Setting ( Germany, Canada, United States, etc), there is a posibility that if you set it to ROW (Rest of the World) that it would disable the SAI, as the SAI is not required.

Just a thought.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
You may have already read this but this guy had your code and went through a lot to diagnose it so there is really good info in it.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31179

It sounds like there is no way to disable it with Vagcom. For him it turned out to be a shitty SAI filter. He had a CAI with no connector for the SAI so he put a filter on it that was not supplying enough flow. Also post #46 is another guys solution to the same error code.