GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 IE intake pipe with P-flo fitment issues?

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Hi Guys,

Just installed a stage 2 intake pipe to go along with my p-flo intake.
During install i did have some fitment issues that I was wondering if anyone knew how to resolve/ if it was normal.
IMG_8592.jpg

First issue I had was with the coupler connected to turbo.
its pressed against the metal coolant pipes that run behind the engine.
In the area circled below, will get better picture later.
IMG_8591 (1).jpg

The second issue I had was compatibility with the p-flo.
Where the pipes couple with the MAF.
IMG_8596 (1).jpg
There is no room between the pipes and i had to add some washers at the mount to push the stage 2 pipe back a bit and allow room.
IMG_8595.jpg

Third issue, which may have resulted from the washers I added was the attachment of the rear PCV tube.
IMG_8594.jpg
I had to force this into place a fair bit, luckily this piece was recently replaced so i didn't have to worry about pipe snapping from old plastic.
However while doing this i did see some movement on the tube connector near the PCV end and im wondering if this may cause a leak.
IMG_8593 (1).jpg

At the moment I'm thinking the only way to resolve some of these issues is to slightly cut the stage two pipe to allow for more room for the p-flo intake.
This would allow me to remove the washers and possibly relieve strain on rear PCV tube.

Anyone have any less drastic ideas?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
The coupler on the pipes near the turbo shouldn't be a big deal unless you got the clamp rubbing metal on metal. Mine sits like that with the silicone slightly touching and no issues.

Try to unbolt the pipe from the bracket to let it sit more naturally. I have a IE Stage 2 connected to a BSH that way.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
The coupler on the pipes near the turbo shouldn't be a big deal unless you got the clamp rubbing metal on metal. Mine sits like that with the silicone slightly touching and no issues.

Try to unbolt the pipe from the bracket to let it sit more naturally. I have a IE Stage 2 connected to a BSH that way.

Its not metal to metal, clamp is right under just a bit of the silicone touching slightly.

I tried to let it sit as naturally and strain free as possible when paired with p-flo. Part of the reason I added washers to bracket, otherwise i could've cranked it down.

How does your rear PCV pipe sit with your IE stage 2? did you need to work it into place?
Any issues since install?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
My PCV tube is fine. It's not stressed or anything. Looks about the same as yours. Yours doesnt look that bad unless the rear part is like about to come off or something. Its a pretty tight seal where the tube connects. No issues at all and it make the intake way louder sounding.

Last edited:

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
My PCV tube is fine. It's not stressed or anything. Looks about the same as yours. Yours doesnt look that bad unless the rear part is like about to come off or something. Its a pretty tight seal where the tube connects. No issues at all and it make the intake way louder sounding.

Thanks, good to know someone using same pipe with no problems.
Are you running a flex coupler to connect to MAF housing?
The p-flo intake is mounted by rubber connectors so it has no rigid mounting and therefore no strain from being connected rigidly to stage 2 pipe but it definitely vibrates a bit more.

Not like I can feel it when driving, but it is visually noticeable.

Yea so far I'm liking the way it sounds, have a turbo muffler delete sitting on my bench as well so we'll see how that changes once i get around to installing that.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
You're trying to mate up two pieces that weren't necessarily designed for each other, but your bigger problem is that you have (stiff) silicone couplers mating them together....giving you no room for error or any slack.

Try replacing one, or both, at the MAF sensor with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-696-724-Air-Intake-Hose/dp/B00C0UA3R8

Yea that was the plan but the issue there is that there is no room between the two pipes that even with flex coupler they are still right on each other. So a flexible coupler in this case may be non-ideal since it would allow the pipes to repeatedly bang against each other.

That's why I was thinking about trimming the stage 2 pipe. Or possibly the maf housing a bit assuming that's cheaper to find a replacement.

Izzypr40

Good morning . That happens to my brother and the bracket broke . He needed a welding on the intake piping because the bracket broke a pice of the intake tubing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Good morning . That happens to my brother and the bracket broke . He needed a welding on the intake piping because the bracket broke a pice of the intake tubing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IE had issues with a bunch of their "stage 2" pipes breaking at the bracket. That bracket sees a lot of stress if you don't unbolt it before wiggling around the filter side of the intake. Mine broke and I contacted IE. They shipped out a new "stage 2" pipe with beefier bracket.

Morals of the story:

1. Don't put any stress on the intake piping without unbolting the stage 2 portion.
  2. IE takes care of their customers.

zrickety

The Fixer
There was a thread about this awhile back. The problem with the IE intake pipe is the stiff couplers...the engine moves and the pipe with it. But the intake filter is stationary, so the movement stresses that bracket. You want order the flexible coupler that snobrdrdan posted, I've been running it for years with no issue. It's similar to the APR setup.

Your second problem is mating 2 different manufacturers. I run the IE stage 2 with the APR stage 1 filter, and I had to trim a couple inches off the APR part to make it work. I was hesitant at first, but have no regrets. Fits great now and has been working for a couple years. I would try trimming the P-flo part, not the stage 2 pipe and definitely not the MAF.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
IE had issues with a bunch of their "stage 2" pipes breaking at the bracket. That bracket sees a lot of stress if you don't unbolt it before wiggling around the filter side of the intake. Mine broke and I contacted IE. They shipped out a new "stage 2" pipe with beefier bracket.

Yea this is actually updated pipe.

Next day they sent out a brand new pipe to me.
IE:thumbup:

Your second problem is mating 2 different manufacturers. I run the IE stage 2 with the APR stage 1 filter, and I had to trim a couple inches off the APR part to make it work. I was hesitant at first, but have no regrets. Fits great now and has been working for a couple years. I would try trimming the P-flo part, not the stage 2 pipe and definitely not the MAF.

Yea I have the flexible coupler so its just a matter of how to get space. The MAF housing I believe is the cheapest part to replace. and it shouldnt change any properties of the MAF sensor, that haven't already been changed by a stage 1&2 intake. I'm worried a bit about trimming the p-flo or IE stage 2 because I may have to trim the lip which helps seal the silicone couplers.

Shouldve just contacted IE, manufacturer fault/defect.

Last edited:

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
The intake isn't under pressure so there will be no issues if you trim the lip off. Intake connections won't "blow off" like intercooler piping post turbo.

Good to know.
I'll probably trim stage 2 pipe then.
Just because I'm in california and will have to re-Smog in a couple years and therefore need to remove stage 2 pipe and would still need maf and CARB-exempt p-flo to function with stock.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
My question is, why not make a rubber type of bracket so that it can take some stress? I think this needs just enough wiggle room while screwed down to take some of the tiny movements.