GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I want a UK-spec GTI!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
The MPG ratings in the US follow strict guidelines that are set by governmental agencies. The guidelines vary from country to country so the numbers are going to be different in different countries. What is "extra-urban" measuring anyway? The numbers are probably just being spun differently.

cbursten

Banned
Hey, here's a tip: If you don't know the answer, instead of just spouting bull to feel good about yourself, don't.

Maybe you should do some research about European testing cycles and how VW engineers what is more or less a 'world car'.

In other words, here's a tip for you: Do your research before thinking you know something that doesn't exist. Do you really think the cars VW builds for the European market have 2.5% more HP and get 25% better gas mileage than the rest of the world?

I appreciate your input on the subject, but you're simply out of your league here.

Cheers!

Last edited:

nevekd128

Ready to race!
Hey, here's a tip: If you don't know the answer, instead of just spouting bull to feel good about yourself, don't.

its been said, imperial measurement, and did testing standards. epa is 50mph highway right?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
UK don't test with EPA standard....if you look at the Canadian rating its different from US also....

There are no world standard for each country's fuel economy testing, at least not for consumer purpose...

fnord

its been said, imperial measurement, and did testing standards. epa is 50mph highway right?

For the last fucking time, 'imperial measurement' doesn't matter once you CONVERT the numbers.

If EPA testing is at 50 mph, what is UK and DE testing at? 35 mph highway? Downhill? In a vacuum?

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
I'm asking why the rated numbers in Europe are higher than in America. Either the testing methodology in the UK and Germany is fatally flawed and no one ever sees numbers like that, or the difference in tuning is responsible, or there's some other difference.

What I get is 'buy a prius' and 'hurrrrr, I don't know how to convert UK MPG to US MPG so ur dumb.'

Somewhere in your statement is the answer.

You didn't give enough information in the initial statement.

US EPA vs UK ECE-15 are two different test cycles and further in the UK fuel economy is show as distance travelled per unit of measurement vs unit of measurement spent to travel a mile in the USA. Sounds like nitpicking but it makes a different in the numbers.

Using my last car for for example: Honda CR-Z. Virtually the same in both countries.
UK: 6.1/4.4 l/100 km
US: 7.6/6.4 l/100 km

Same car. Different test cycles.

Last edited:

VINNY1

Ready to race!
This is pointless. If you wanted a more economical golf you should have gotten a TDI.

At least I didn't say Prius, and I didn't curse. Both are vulgarities.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

fnord

Maybe you should do some research about European testing cycles and how VW engineers what is more or less a 'world car'.

In other words, here's a tip for you: Do your research before thinking you know something that doesn't exist. Do you really think the cars VW builds for the European market have 2.5% more HP and get 25% better gas mileage than the rest of the world?

I appreciate your input on the subject, but you're simply out of your league here.

Cheers!

Well, I know the UK cars are spec'd at 207 HP, vs 200 HP here.

Do you have any links to these standards, or are you just a blowhard?

cbursten

Banned

US EPA vs UK ECE-15 are two different test cycles with the US EPA testing using higher speed highway travelling, quicker pace acceleration, and more stop/go driving, etc.

Using my last for for example: Honda CR-Z. Virtually the same in both countries.

Thank you sir.

fnord

This is pointless. If you wanted a more economical golf you should have gotten a TDI.

At least I didn't say Prius, and I didn't curse. Both are vulgarities.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Yea, I wanted a TDI and was a day away from buying one when I found out about intercooler icing. The GTI was the only alternative for me.

It's funny how I've seen it said that vortex is the place filled with assholes.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Well, I know the UK cars are spec'd at 207 HP, vs 200 HP here.

Do you have any links to these standards, or are you just a blowhard?

Internet, I believe you can use that....most of these test standard are public domain information....and no one has obligation to search it for you....:rolleyes:

EPA has a emission testing lab in Ann Arbor also, you might ask there? lol....

fnord

US EPA vs UK ECE-15 are two different test cycles and further in the UK fuel economy is show as distance travelled per unit of measurement vs unit of measurement spent to travel a mile in the USA. Sounds like nitpicking but it makes a different in the numbers.

Using my last car for for example: Honda CR-Z. Virtually the same in both countries.

Thanks for an actual answer. After converting, the difference of 31 vs 40 hwy is still very large, and I find it difficult to believe that I could do 120km/h (the extra-urban speed for ECE testing) for a tank and get 40 mpg.

Edit: 120 is the top speed. The average is 70 or 39 mph. Blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.