GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the chances? TT RS to R

Stinger

Ready to race!
The TT RS comes out with a 2.5 400 hp engine. I know the 400 hp R project was abandoned but... Got a feeling that a next big R revamp (mk8, mk9?) could see it with the TT RS engine? :iono:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I feel like VW doesn't want to sell high hp cars.

zipsled

Ready to race!

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
Has anyone tried to transplant a TT RS 2.5 engine and drive train into an R? Has anyone ever seen a wrecked TT RS to harvest an engine and Drive Train out of?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Has anyone tried to transplant a TT RS 2.5 engine and drive train into an R? Has anyone ever seen a wrecked TT RS to harvest an engine and Drive Train out of?

There are a couple on youtube. Cost would make prohibitive unless you got the motor donated. Since you can build an R to 500+whp why bother, much easier to use the R base 2.0t FSI motor, its a great motor. Having said that, it would be awesome to have a TTRS motor in an R, love the sound.

Also I think you can kind of build your own 2.5 TTRS type motor by starting with one of the old Golf 5 cyl blocks and finding a head off of one side of the Audi V-10 R8 or so I have been told. You have to build the bottom end but as I was told the head off the V-10 is much the same as the head off the TTRS.

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
The bottom end and internals of our R's is significantly different from the GTI, so I would expect to see the RS's bottom end would be different from the regular Golf bottom end.
I would like to see both to determine if it would be possible.

Sent from the ether.

Last edited:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
There was one for sale around here a ways back. RB 2 door with a TT RS transplant. Thing looked like it just barely fit, but they got it 100% working. So it definitely is possible.

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
It sounds like a good idea. Now to find a RS that's been rolled ?

Sent from the ether.