GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is happening to my fog lights?

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
I have been noticing what looks like cracks or chips appearing in my fog lights and I'm not sure if its from road debris or heat. My car is in the garage all day except for when I go to work at 230pm and when I'm there I always park in the shade.

I don't know if my fog light bulbs could be causing it, theyre the PIAA plasma I
on yellows, 35 watt. My fog light lenses feel warm/hot after they've been on for the drive home, but not so hot that I cant leave the back of my hand on the lenses.

any ideas whats going on here? It almost looks like its spreading from where the light is focused, but it could also be tiny rocks or sand hitting it while driving and bouncing off.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Anyone? I’m thinking about getting lamin-x films to put on them so it doesn’t get any worse but if it’s from heat those aren’t gonna do me any good. If I order new fog housings I’ll definitely get some protective films for them

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
road debris is my guess. Looks like rock chips. i heard laminx can cause more heat related issues by trapping the heat in and causing cracking.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
can you feel them on the outside or is the outside smooth?

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
can you feel them on the outside or is the outside smooth?

Yes I can definitely feel them on the outside. The drivers side seems to be worse than the passenger side. I had no idea that the road debris and stuff getting kicked up was so bad on Florida roads.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Yes I can definitely feel them on the outside. The drivers side seems to be worse than the passenger side. I had no idea that the road debris and stuff getting kicked up was so bad on Florida roads.

I'm in Palm Beach as well. Every single damn ding on my car is from road debris. My fogs have this as well, but not as bad. My front bumper has taken a beating though from getting hit by shit on i95. I'm a lucky guy!

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
I'm in Palm Beach as well. Every single damn ding on my car is from road debris. My fogs have this as well, but not as bad. My front bumper has taken a beating though from getting hit by shit on i95. I'm a lucky guy!

maybe its all the shell rock they use to pave the roads here?

The only way to fix this would be to wet sand the lights and re seal them right? Or wet sand and put lamin x films on them?

I'm kind of leaning to just ordering a new set of fog housings and putting lamin x on the new ones.

Has anyone had any problems with Lamin-x causing heat issues?

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
So the consensus is that its NOT my light bulbs causing this correct?

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
No, very unlikely that it's from the bulbs. I have this on my OEM xenons only it's not on the surface. Due to cool moisture accumulating on the lights and then being roasted off by direct sunlight.

ok cool. I thought it was a little strange since my factory Bi-Xenons don't have any chips in them, but they are up a little higher.

guess its time to order some new fog housings.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i mean your new housings are just gonna get chipped up too, its a side effect of your environment/road conditions. Is it even noticeable from 5 feet away if you arent focusing on looking at the chips?

I wouldnt put laminx on it there are people and threads on here where laminx has caused cracking of the entire housing due to excess heat buildup, granted those were on the headlights iirc.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Buddy has laminx film start to heat crack his fog housing. Would not use in florida.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So how are people in Florida protecting their fog and headlight housings? Both from debris and from UV causing yellowing and fading?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
So how are people in Florida protecting their fog and headlight housings? Both from debris and from UV causing yellowing and fading?
no. we arent. My car sits outside daily in the sun for the past 3+ years and i have no hazzing or yellowing of my headlights/fogs.