GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
TiCoyote
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
80k mi service - big ticket items

I have a 2012 GTI with around 84k, so I guess it's past due. I'm trying to figure out what I should expect to spend. I know I need:
DSG flush and fluid: $350

Will I need brakes and rotors?
Spark plugs?
Coil packs?
Shocks?
Fuel filter?

It also vibrates at idle. Motor mounts?

This is starting to look like a $2k service? How much of this will I actually need?
TiCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
gdub09
Autocross Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
If you don't have any service history I'd do whats highest priority, DSG flush. I'd look at your brakes to see if you actually need them, same with shocks. If they're not leaking or hella bouncy, leave em. As for plugs, I'd do em but if your coil packs aren't giving you an issue I'd leave em alone. Fuel filter isn't really necessary but it's advised to change it every 20K.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
estepnie
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub09 View Post
Fuel filter isn't really necessary but it's advised to change it every 20K.
Fuel filter is every 40k.
GIAC X2|Unitronic Intake|Neuspeed TOB, TBP & FMIC|Unitronic DV Relocation Kit|GFB DV+|R8 Coil Packs|SPM Custom TBE|VWR Springs|Bilstein B8 Dampers|Hotchkis F&R Sway Bars|034 Motorsports Endlinks|SuperPro ALK|Unibrace UB XB RB|TyrolSport Subframe Collars F&R|034 Motorsports Engine Mounts|Spulen Dogbone Insert|OEM LED Tails|Smoked Side Markers|Rear Wiper Delete|Neuspeed RSe52s|P3 Boost Gauge|Full Interior LED
Empire State Euros
estepnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
1ashchuckton
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI CSG-DSG
Plugs, fuel filter & DSG service. If it has been over two years since the last brake fluid flush add that to the list. Is it time for an oil change? If so add that to your list. Your brakes may or not be OK, inspect them.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
gdub09
Autocross Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by estepnie View Post
Fuel filter is every 40k.
Thanks, idk why I always think its 20K
Old 04-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 153k+
I've got almost double your mileage...never spent anywhere near 2k on service. You can do the DSG service cheaper, shop around. My brakes and rotors looked fine past 100k. Spark plugs are a good idea, I run Denso double platinum at $4-5 each. Coils I would wait, shocks I would wait. Fuel filter is easy and cheap. A dogbone mount like HPA or 034 would go a long way with vibration and reduce wheel hop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
andrewd
Ready to race!

Drives: 13 GTI DSG 09 Rabbit 2.5
You are definitely due (well overdue for DSG service and plugs) if they have never been done. Now some other things that would be smart to do would be to replace the coils, PCV valve (these are known to take out the rear main seal when they fail), check to see which timing chain tensioner the vehicle has, and possibly a carbon cleaning. I’d be more inclined to get those items straightened out before looking into mounts and shocks/struts. Hard to say whether you need brakes but I’m still all original on mine after 84k as well with plenty of life.
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
QuitersLOSE14
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf Mk VI TDi, Shark Metallic
Why do yíall ask about this stuff? Itís laid out in plain Engrish in our owners manual? Server space wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuitersLOSE14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
QuitersLOSE14
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf Mk VI TDi, Shark Metallic
Brakes are easy, look inside the wheel at the pads and see how close they are to the metal backing. Some cars have wear sensors too. Iím over 100K miles and have only done rear pads and rotors. Look for crappy looking discs too, could mean uneven wear, or debris caught in between the pad and rotor. Of course, you canít tell squat about the backsides like this.

Mounts (all inclusive) donít really need done unless they fail, or unless you want ďtight as newĒ back at 84k. Iím considering anti-walk kits from SuperPro or Whiteline (I like their elastomer better) as Iím staring to get vagueness over the road now. Remember, anything higher in density (higher durometer ratings) will make noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) worse, typically. Increasing NVH decrease reliability. We humans donít do so good with increased shaking either.

I have a TDI so I canít comment on coils, but thatís likely in the manual. Once again, replace when they fail; and youíll know when they fail lol. If youíre tuned, maybe look at upgrades.

Otherwise, all these other fine folk have brought up good points!

QuitersLOSE14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:00 AM   #10
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitersLOSE14 View Post
Why do yíall ask about this stuff? Itís laid out in plain Engrish in our owners manual? Server space wasted.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Engrish?