GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 with downpipe, worth it?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Also, fortunately, we don't have emission testing or vehicle inspections up here whatsoever so I won't need a cat.

:eek: whaaaaaat? Van got rid of emissions testing? You mean Clark was good for something?. Wow

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

BlueE30

Ready to race!
:eek: whaaaaaat? Van got rid of emissions testing? You mean Clark was good for something?. Wow

Haha... yes they got rid of Aircare in 2015 I think... now no testing, inspections, etc.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Also dont use the supplied gasket. Please buy a OEM exhaust to turbo gasket it will seal a lot better than the cheapo gaskets these kits come with. Its also a good idea to buy some new nets and maybe a couple studs too just in case.

I bought the OEM gasket and 4 new nuts to replace the ones with and my studs didnt break so that was all gravy.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
There are tons of threads on this topic,
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...ab..10.3.487...0i22i30k1j33i160k1.c6ai-XwJtlQ

To sum it up...

Should you do it: Yes, you get a really nice bump in power from this modification. The (stage 2) tune smooths out the power delivery.

Emissions: Can be a problem if you are CBFA because you'll be introducing way more flow into the system. I am in NJ with K04 and full turboback with no CEL because I am using a spacer with a built-in muffler. It really is hit or miss and definitely a pain in the ass. But it can be done.

Clutch: It will likely slip sooner or later. Best you can do is just ride it out, enjoy the car and power, try not to put too much load on it at low RPM--always be in the power band before you romp on it, and be careful when slipping the clutch and launching. Budget for a new one in the future.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
8k miles on stage2 stock clutch so far. I guess Stg2 is worth it if you don't mind the inspection headache here in Nj...

Honestly, the car felt just right at Stg1, but my eager to make the car a bit more louder led me into Stg2 in the end... It's just never enough.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
8k miles on stage2 stock clutch so far. I guess Stg2 is worth it if you don't mind the inspection headache here in Nj...

Honestly, the car felt just right at Stg1, but my eager to make the car a bit more louder led me into Stg2 in the end... It's just never enough.
i know that feeling. :/

Laimface

Ready to race!
i know that feeling. :/

I'm already going for some supporting mods to go K04 hahaha. Sorting the brakes and handling out first though. Eibach springs on the way, will see how they ride before I drop £600 on some Bilstein shocks. The car can't lock the wheels up (on 4x Michelin PS4) at the moment because of shit pads, so they'll end up getting changed along with some MTEC dimpled and slotted discs.