GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ipod connexion / MDI question I need your help

Q822

Ready to race!
Hi guys,

In my GTi I have a RCD 510 head unit. Should I take the cable or the full MDI ??

I negociated the MDI when I purchased my car but the dealer does'nt have it and it's BO....
I don't really need the MDI in the armrest but I really need an Ipod connexion lol....

My questions are :
1) Is there a cable that I can plug directly to the headunit and to my Ipod probably in the glove box like I did with my old pioneer screen in my MK5 (AVH P4100 DVD )

2) Do you know if the cable will give me the same Ipod Control than the MDI...I mean touch screen control and informations on the screen and in front the driver.

Thank you it will help a lot

Q822

Ready to race!
do you know if in the US you can have the MDI on the RCD-510 or yu have to get the Nav head unit RNS-510

my dealer seems to not be able to find the MDI for the RCD 510....thank you guys I really need your help...

woofie2

Ready to race!
do you know if in the US you can have the MDI on the RCD-510 or yu have to get the Nav head unit RNS-510
MDI works on both the RCD and RNS units.

to install it you can get the MDI adapter from Kufatec-
http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_10&products_id=840

All of the retrofit kits mount the media input into the glove box.
I am not sure about the armrest integration.

my dealer seems to not be able to find the MDI for the RCD 510....thank you guys I really need your help...
Part number for the glove box retrofit kit is 5N0 057 342. You will also need 000 051 446 C. The MDI requires 000 051 446 C (ipod cable) in order for the iPod to function properly.

Last edited:

Q822

Ready to race!
Do that means that the MDI is exactly the same for the RNS 510 and the RCD 510...
Is there a cable which do the same job...like only a cable that I plus behind the head unit and in the Ipod...

Q822

Ready to race!
Ok I've just talk with my dealer...they finally understood that it's the same part for the RNS 510 or RCD 510 so for this moment it's back order in canada but they will order it for me as soons as possible.
FINALLY...

woofie2

Ready to race!
Do that means that the MDI is exactly the same for the RNS 510 and the RCD 510...
Is there a cable which do the same job...like only a cable that I plus behind the head unit and in the Ipod...

sorry, yes, the parts are the same (VAG uses the same the same connectors on the back of the head units) the wires are identical RNS and RCD, (some audi parts too)