GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Noise issue

II Dave G II

Hi Guys,

I know the gti has a loud engine anyway but for just over a week now I have noticed a loud ticking noise from the engine. It has always been there but has gotten much louder.

I have tried to google the issue and have found there is a common issue with the timing belt chain tensioner. I have had 2 mechanics listen to it and they have both told me it sounds like the tappets in the engine. is there any way I can determine what the issue is. I’m concerned it is an issue with the chain as this will shag the engine all together.

The noise is a constant Ticking sound and does not go away at all, even when it has warmed up. It also speeds up as you rev it. The car is a 09 GTi MK6 with 35000 on the clock.

Has anyone had similar issues, Any advice is welcome!!!!!

Thanks!

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Hi Guys,

I know the gti has a loud engine anyway but for just over a week now I have noticed a loud ticking noise from the engine. It has always been there but has gotten much louder.

I have tried to google the issue and have found there is a common issue with the timing belt chain tensioner. I have had 2 mechanics listen to it and they have both told me it sounds like the tappets in the engine. is there any way I can determine what the issue is. I’m concerned it is an issue with the chain as this will shag the engine all together.

The noise is a constant Ticking sound and does not go away at all, even when it has warmed up. It also speeds up as you rev it. The car is a 09 GTi MK6 with 35000 on the clock.

Has anyone had similar issues, Any advice is welcome!!!!!

Thanks!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=engine+ticking+gti+mk6 How hard did you really try? :thumbup:

II Dave G II

I know the engine makes a ticking noise anyway but what I am concerned about is that it has gotten louder and I can hear it from inside the car now.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
I know the engine makes a ticking noise anyway but what I am concerned about is that it has gotten louder and I can hear it from inside the car now.

This is the N80 valve from my understanding. The gas tank and lines are all air tight so has vapors don't constantly vent to the atmosphere. But if it stayed air tight the tank would collapse on it self from vacuum forming in the tank. So basically the car pumps in outside air into the gas tank and slightly pressurized it, the evap lines run from the tank to that valve in the video and into te intake manifold. That ticking is the valve opening and closing to slowly let the engine suck the air and gas vapor from the tank into the engine to get burnt up. That valve only opens at idle and it always clicks on and off, since it's a solinoid the click is loud.

Your car is working how it's suppossed to. Quote from DBESTGTI

II Dave G II

Any tunes? Do you stay on schedule with oil changes? Did you buy new or used?
car only has a induction kit no other mods. i was overdue my last service by a month. car was used. im going to try old air box on again today to see if that dampens the noise a bit. i dont think it will but worth a try.

II Dave G II

This is the N80 valve from my understanding. The gas tank and lines are all air tight so has vapors don't constantly vent to the atmosphere. But if it stayed air tight the tank would collapse on it self from vacuum forming in the tank. So basically the car pumps in outside air into the gas tank and slightly pressurized it, the evap lines run from the tank to that valve in the video and into te intake manifold. That ticking is the valve opening and closing to slowly let the engine suck the air and gas vapor from the tank into the engine to get burnt up. That valve only opens at idle and it always clicks on and off, since it's a solinoid the click is loud.

Your car is working how it's suppossed to. Quote from DBESTGTI
you would think in this day and age they could make it a little bit more silent. I bet the GTD is more quiet that the GTI :/