GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 MK7 vs Stage 2 MK6

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Unless that MK6 is tuned to at least stage 1, the MK7 will win. This is how I understand it:

stock MK7 > stock MK6
stage 1 MK6 = stock MK7
stage 1 MK7 > stage 1 MK6
stage 2 MK6 = stage 1 MK7
stage 2 MK7 > stage 2 MK6

K04 MK6 > stage 2 MK7.

Mensurpj1

Ready to race!
Unless that MK6 is tuned to at least stage 1, the MK7 will win. This is how I understand it:

stock MK7 > stock MK6
stage 1 MK6 = stock MK7
stage 1 MK7 > stage 1 MK6
stage 2 MK6 = stage 1 MK7
stage 2 MK7 > stage 2 MK6

K04 MK6 > stage 2 MK7.

Im also waiting for someone in my area to upgrade turbo on their MK7 and do a pull with my Ko4

zipsled

Ready to race!
My understanding is the MKVII has exactly the same turbo and 2.0 TSI engine as the MKVI, with factory tuning to get the additional HP. If not, then what's the difference in power plants?
The point I am making is that if a tune is the only difference, then once you go aftermarket, the playing field has been leveled and basically the cars are on an equal footing.
Is my assumption wrong?

Muerte_X

Passed Driver's Ed
My understanding is the MKVII has exactly the same turbo and 2.0 TSI engine as the MKVI, with factory tuning to get the additional HP. If not, then what's the difference in power plants?
The point I am making is that if a tune is the only difference, then once you go aftermarket, the playing field has been leveled and basically the cars are on an equal footing.
Is my assumption wrong?

Yes, the turbo is not the same. That's the main reason for Mk7 having more HP. I'm not sure about the engine, but it is a newer generation as well, so I'm sure there are some changes. I'm not sure if any of those differences are performance oriented.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
turbos are not the same in any way. if anything the mk7 can run a larger intake. there is no MAF sensor. also the yeah same "2.0T" but the gen 3 motor in the mk7 has variable valve lift. its makes more power compared to the gen1-2 to the current gen 3. even on stock dynos the mk7 makes way more HP and TQ then the mk6.

"Well, our own development vehicles see the 0-100mph sprint in 11.2 seconds (on road tyres with regular pump fuel). To put that into perspective the older generation of 2.0TSI in the MK6 chassis needed a turbo upgrade and Stage3 software to get to that level of performance" REVO

this is directly off the revo site.

yes the mk6 k04 can take a stage 1 mk7 I know cause I have both platflorms. the mk7 tuned is no pushover the mk7 flashed ecu, stock bolt ons, is already a low 13 to 12 second car.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
turbos are not the same in any way. if anything the mk7 can run a larger intake. there is no MAF sensor. also the yeah same "2.0T" but the gen 3 motor in the mk7 has variable valve lift. its makes more power compared to the gen1-2 to the current gen 3. even on stock dynos the mk7 makes way more HP and TQ then the mk6.

"Well, our own development vehicles see the 0-100mph sprint in 11.2 seconds (on road tyres with regular pump fuel). To put that into perspective the older generation of 2.0TSI in the MK6 chassis needed a turbo upgrade and Stage3 software to get to that level of performance" REVO

this is directly off the revo site.

yes the mk6 k04 can take a stage 1 mk7 I know cause I have both platflorms. the mk7 tuned is no pushover the mk7 flashed ecu, stock bolt ons, is already a low 13 to 12 second car.
theres a few who are running low 13s high 12s on there ko3 fastest ko3 time was 12.6 but that was with slicks an 100 oct

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
theres a few who are running low 13s high 12s on there ko3 fastest ko3 time was 12.6 but that was with slicks an 100 oct

Easier to compare trap speeds to put it in better perspective. He was achieving between 107-109mph traps when he got that 12.6, so it can be assumed that from a roll, anyone with similar mods and on 100 oct is capable of hitting those trap speeds. APR Stage 1 Mk7 is trapping around 110, so it could be said that the Mk7 has a slight advantage over the stage 2 Mk6, but for all intents and purposes, that's a drivers race. Even at 3mph, that's really fucking close in my books.

Just my paper racing $.02

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
I don't doubt their are fast mk5-mk6 out there especially with the right mods done. but the thread sounds like the TSI gen1-2 is the same as the TSI gen3 completely different motors

07STitoR

Ready to race!
Easier to compare trap speeds to put it in better perspective. He was achieving between 107-109mph traps when he got that 12.6, so it can be assumed that from a roll, anyone with similar mods and on 100 oct is capable of hitting those trap speeds. APR Stage 1 Mk7 is trapping around 110, so it could be said that the Mk7 has a slight advantage over the stage 2 Mk6, but for all intents and purposes, that's a drivers race. Even at 3mph, that's really fucking close in my books.

Just my paper racing $.02

Does APR really claim 110mph trap speeds? Thats like 330whp which is sick from just a simple reflash.

Edit: Holy crap they do! 13.189 @ 110.40 MPH thats crazy. Weird how the hp numbers don't add up though APR claims 291 WHP that supposed to be good for 103-106 MPH unless that DSG makes magical things happen. Whats more crazy is that the Stage 1 Golf R is doing 12.07 @111.74 MPH.

Last edited:

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
yes the mk6 k04 can take a stage 1 mk7.
This race is not even close. While dyno numbers look close the power runs out up top on the mk7. But 09GTIJoE is 100% right about them not being a pushover either. Id be willing to bet a stage1 Mk7 is a more composed car on the track than a k04Mk6

Does APR really claim 110mph trap speeds? Thats like 330whp which is sick from just a simple reflash.

Edit: Holy crap they do! 13.189 @ 110.40 MPH thats crazy. Weird how the hp numbers don't add up though APR claims 291 WHP that supposed to be good for 103-106 MPH unless that DSG makes magical things happen. Whats more crazy is that the Stage 1 Golf R is doing 12.07 @111.74 MPH.

You cannot correlate trap speeds and 1/4 mile times with certain power numbers... it doesnt work like that at all. Even on the same platform it is sketchy because enough attention doesnt go into what track, time of day, weather conditions, and tires being used

kern417

Go Kart Champion
gen 3 tsi is very different from the gen 1 and the turbos are different. until you begin upgrading the turbos to standard garrets/precision models, they will always have the advantage with all things being even. they are also lighter so with the same power they are (should be) faster.

I heard there was a local guy who blew his turbo on his stage 2 mk7. :yikes:

also, this is a known problem. they blow on stock cars too. not necessarily the tune's fault, thought it probably sped up the process. that's the type of risk you take buying a vehicle with the 1st year of a brand new turbo design.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
You cannot correlate trap speeds and 1/4 mile times with certain power numbers... it doesnt work like that at all. Even on the same platform it is sketchy because enough attention doesnt go into what track, time of day, weather conditions, and tires being used

THIS. Trap speed is a start and good "tool" to use comparing cars, but not the end all be all. I've trapped as high as 114 on a 13.2 pass on 100 octane on V2. I've trapped 111-112 on 93 octane while still not breaking into the 12's. Got drag radials, lowered 60' times, ran a 12.8 at 108mph. Granted, this will all be different once I make it to the track on the newest APR K04 file, as this was all on V2.

But once again, trap speed can differ GREATLY depending on how "quick" of a pass you make. More spin=slower 60'=slower ET=Faster trap. Better launch=lower 60'=lower ET=slower trap.