GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04, California, and Smog

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Well, I lucked out on a used APR K04 from someone local. According to them it was only used for 10k.

Got all the pieces in place, so now it's just a matter of waiting to get everything installed.

Hoping to score a used CCTI DP within the next year too so it's one less thing to worry about.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Alright everybody. Got the K04 in, and all expectations have been met with how fun and awesome people described it to be.

However, after running it for nearly two weeks, and even driving it 1000 miles roundtrip a few days after installing it, I suddenly got a CEL for a p0420 code.

My question is, if anyone else has experienced this with their respective k04 tunes and tuning company, and if so, how do I go about troubleshooting this?

I just spoke with GIAC and they said this is common for people to have, and that they recommend running spacers. Has this been the case for others too?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Alright everybody. Got the K04 in, and all expectations have been met with how fun and awesome people described it to be.

However, after running it for nearly two weeks, and even driving it 1000 miles roundtrip a few days after installing it, I suddenly got a CEL for a p0420 code.

My question is, if anyone else has experienced this with their respective k04 tunes and tuning company, and if so, how do I go about troubleshooting this?

I just spoke with GIAC and they said this is common for people to have, and that they recommend running spacers. Has this been the case for others too?

Pretty common for me. I had to replace 3 02 sensors over the 3 years or so of driving my K04 setup. I ran a 200 cel cat.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Pretty common for me. I had to replace 3 02 sensors over the 3 years or so of driving my K04 setup. I ran a 200 cel cat.

Thanks.

I'm not as mechanically inclined as I want to be, but I understand what a spacer does; i've just never installed them before, so i'm assuming I would have to uninstall the DP? Also, how and where do I purchase the spacers that work? And is it just a matter of finding them, putting them on, and then hope it works? Or do I need to do it one by one? I'm trying to figure out the best game plan to approach this.

I'm running an AWE DP so i'm not sure if it's 200 cel or what.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Thanks.

I'm not as mechanically inclined as I want to be, but I understand what a spacer does; i've just never installed them before, so i'm assuming I would have to uninstall the DP? Also, how and where do I purchase the spacers that work? And is it just a matter of finding them, putting them on, and then hope it works? Or do I need to do it one by one? I'm trying to figure out the best game plan to approach this.

I'm running an AWE DP so i'm not sure if it's 200 cel or what.

Generally in a stock situation you have an 02 sensor pre-cat and another or two after cat. The sensors are looking for a specific range of difference. Cat normally there to burn off excess unburned fuel before it leaves the car. If you are running a high flow cat or no cat there won't be a significant difference and you get a CEL. The spacer which is placed on the sensor after the cat works by moving the sensor element out of the main air stream limiting how much exhaust it will read. Easy to do. Do not have to remove exhaust. Just jack the car up (always use jack stands before getting under car). Remove the rear 02 sensor, put in the spacer, screw the 02 sensor into the spacer and you should be able to delete the code and hopefully the problem will go away. The 02 sensor could also be bad.

Spacer from one of our sponsors like
https://www.urotuning.com/UroTuning-O2-Sensor-Spacer-p/ex-99-200.htm

or from Modded Euros

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Generally in a stock situation you have an 02 sensor pre-cat and another or two after cat. The sensors are looking for a specific range of difference. Cat normally there to burn off excess unburned fuel before it leaves the car. If you are running a high flow cat or no cat there won't be a significant difference and you get a CEL. The spacer which is placed on the sensor after the cat works by moving the sensor element out of the main air stream limiting how much exhaust it will read. Easy to do. Do not have to remove exhaust. Just jack the car up (always use jack stands before getting under car). Remove the rear 02 sensor, put in the spacer, screw the 02 sensor into the spacer and you should be able to delete the code and hopefully the problem will go away. The 02 sensor could also be bad.

Spacer from one of our sponsors like
https://www.urotuning.com/UroTuning-O2-Sensor-Spacer-p/ex-99-200.htm

or from Modded Euros

Thanks for this. How do I determine of an o2 sensor is bad?

And is it always the rear o2 I have to tinker with?