GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any recent GTI owners wishing they waited for the MK7 US release?

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
never knew that about the '10s. i've had mine for over 3 years and its been fine. got lucky i guess.

im looking at current inventory around my way and not seeing any 4 door convenience pkg. all i see are the wolfsburg and drivers edition. how the hell did the wolfsburg get up to 30k? thats the entry level model correct? i paid less than 25k for my 4 door convenience.

Not sure about US spec, but in Canada the Wolfsburg is fully optioned with the exception of leather.. Only way to get ALL the goodies AND the tartan cloth - it was by far the best value for the money by several thousand.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Not sure about US spec, but in Canada the Wolfsburg is fully optioned with the exception of leather.. Only way to get ALL the goodies AND the tartan cloth - it was by far the best value for the money by several thousand.

In the US for 2010 you could get individual options. So it was possible to get one with everything minus leather. I wanted a car with everything but leather and nav, and thankfully that's what I found. So I may have something of a unicorn with a GTI that's optioned with Dynaudio, moonroof, HIDs, etc with no nav and the cloth tartan seats.

My thing was I wanted all those options, but part of the charm of the car for me was the tartan.

green hell

Ready to race!
i could have waited and bought an mkvii, but i'm not a fan of first year models, regardless of point of manufacture.

the mkvii certainly has some desirable new features, but nothing that's an absolute must-have for me. my '13 has everything i need, is fun to drive and was priced very reasonably.

seeing as how this is my first vw (my wife's on her second, no major issues), i'm gonna burn the fur off this one and if all goes well i'll certainly consider a future version of this model.

doublevanosrc

Feeding My Fast daily
Very true.

But hold up, $5500 off new driver's edition? I was only able to finagle about $2.5k off MSRP...:mad0259:

Shoot me too, then again I got mine back in September. Still no regrets.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Do powerlocks make you nervous too? Power windows?? Its a simple electronic activation like all others.

It's like manual transmissions for me, ever since I've been driving I've always engaged the parking brake handle when I park. I like the re-assuring clicking sound of the brake engaging.

This is similar to the BMWs, pull the button, and its engaged. :yikes:

Then jump in your car and drive off, without having to undo the parking brake because it's automagic.

I'll probably pick up a 3rd year release of the MK7 after all the US drivers have worked out all the bugs for me. That buying strategy worked out fine for my MK6.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
i could have waited and bought an mkvii, but i'm not a fan of first year models, regardless of point of manufacture.

the mkvii certainly has some desirable new features, but nothing that's an absolute must-have for me. my '13 has everything i need, is fun to drive and was priced very reasonably.

seeing as how this is my first vw (my wife's on her second, no major issues), i'm gonna burn the fur off this one and if all goes well i'll certainly consider a future version of this model.

The MK7 won't be in it's first model year when we get it.

It'll be in it's first production run off of the Puebla plant, and that gives me concerns.

green hell

Ready to race!
The MK7 won't be in it's first model year when we get it.

It'll be in it's first production run off of the Puebla plant, and that gives me concerns.

you are correct; that's how i should have worded it.

my wife got her second beetle this year, and the interior is a major upgrade from the first and the fit and finish is very well done. the only issue so far was a whistling convertible top, which was eventually fixed by the dealer & vwoa.

so i'm not overly concerned about the puebla build, i'm always cautious of a first year run of any model from anywhere.

zrickety

The Fixer
I understand electric parking brake, but I don't like it and it's just another thing to break. Fifth gear tested the MK7 and they were disappointed. Said the MK5/6 are better.

FeX141

It's a tough decision. Both mk6 and mk7 are great cars!
Biggest advantage of the 7 is the diff. Although, this would only be an advantage on a track.
Biggest disadvantage is the mexico build.

And for the record, my '10 has also been completely flawless.

Cheers,

ShadowBlueWho?

Honestly, I do not. I thought I would, since the release is not so far away. After I found out that the Mk7's were going to be assembled in Mexico instead of Germany, I decided I would rather have the Mk6. A little less horsepower and torque, but that isn't too big of a deal for me. What made me really not regret it was finding out I was getting the last autobahn that was stick in the U.S. (mine was 4-door so I do not know if it was the last two door) , and it was shadow blue too! So all in all, no regrets here. :D

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Im amazed at how many owners here think Mexico is an issue. Do you know how many Audi's are made in Hungary? In Europe, Eastern European labor is the low cost alternative to high cost Western Europe/German labor.

So many VW engines and Audi engines are made there as well. Its really not an issue at all. Let me know when you can tell the difference without reading the sticker/label on origin.

TitanFlyer

Passed Driver's Ed
Mexico isn't an issue for me...but I wanted to stay away from a first year so I bought the MK6. I realize its not a first year for the MK7 as its been in Europe for a while, but honestly its even worse as its the first year for a whole new facility in another country. I used to be an engineer for an auto part manufacturer (tires) and had to deal with new start up facilities for different auto manufacturers. I can tell you that there are growing pains like you can't imagine... at least a year before they figure out things are not right.

Edit : Forgot to mention all the aftermarket stuff will take a couple years to catch up. I wanted to mod my GTI right away. I also keep my new cars for a max of 2 years, so the timing of everything getting worked out on the MK7 seemed perfect.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
In a sense, I'm kind of happy that my lease is ending now before the MK7 is here.
Had it been in the showroom now, I would have rolled right into one.

Since I'll be buying my car off lease, I can wait to make a move.
As long as I have the patience to not jump on a MK7 as soon as I see them.
If they show up here by next fall, I plan to at least wait 'till spring of 2015 before I go for one.