GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing amp questions

Serbmatic

Passed Driver's Ed
I was planning on installing a amp and sub into my 2012 golf, i have the basic stereo setup with blue tooth

And i was wondering if anyone knew what kind of wire i have to do inorder to install the amp, i know how to do the basic like power, stereo, ground, and rca cable installations but im confused on the remote cables associated with the stereo. any advice? :iono:

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I was planning on installing a amp and sub into my 2012 golf, i have the basic stereo setup with blue tooth

And i was wondering if anyone knew what kind of wire i have to do inorder to install the amp, i know how to do the basic like power, stereo, ground, and rca cable installations but im confused on the remote cables associated with the stereo. any advice? :iono:

The remote wire can be connected to one of the wires going to your cigarette lighter. There's 3 wires going to the cigarette lighter, I can't remember which it is, but you can use a multimeter to find out which one gets current when the ignition is on. The remote wire is used to turn the amp on/off with the car.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
There is no actual remote wire in, if I'm not mistaken, any Can-Bus linked car (or something). ...Anway, the point is if you want to have an amp turn on only when you turn on the stereo you either have to buy an amp that has power sensing and use it's high-level inputs, or do like RealCyberBob said and use a circuit that is only active when the key is in the ignition, like the lighter circuit. Though, with that the amp will be powered regardless of whether or not the stereo is turned on. [I don't know, so don't quote me on it, but I wonder if that could potentially result in perpetual hiss from the speakers or even an increase in the chance of inducing alternator whine into the system.]

The other option is to buy a DSP. But, that's only an option if you're already inclined to buy one. Obviously you're not going to spend hundreds of dollars on something with the primary motivation being to get proper amp turn on functionality.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
There is no actual remote wire in, if I'm not mistaken, any Can-Bus linked car (or something). ...Anway, the point is if you want to have an amp turn on only when you turn on the stereo you either have to buy an amp that has power sensing and use it's high-level inputs, or do like RealCyberBob said and use a circuit that is only active when the key is in the ignition, like the lighter circuit. Though, with that the amp will be powered regardless of whether or not the stereo is turned on. [I don't know, so don't quote me on it, but I wonder if that could potentially result in perpetual hiss from the speakers or even an increase in the chance of inducing alternator whine into the system.]

The other option is to buy a DSP. But, that's only an option if you're already inclined to buy one. Obviously you're not going to spend hundreds of dollars on something with the primary motivation being to get proper amp turn on functionality.

There is no hissing or whine by wiring the remote wire to the cigarette lighter, I have my system wired this way.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
If you use a good LOC like the AudioControl LC2i, a 12volt remote turn-on source is provided for your amp(s). That's what I'm running in my car.

georgy

Ready to race!
If you use a good LOC like the AudioControl LC2i, a 12volt remote turn-on source is provided for your amp(s). That's what I'm running in my car.

This would be the best solution and this is what I'm using as well.

Most decent amps do not even need a remote nowadays though.