GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roof Rack Review -Pro Rack Whispbar vs. OEM Roof Racks

chilito

I installed my whispbars, but with all Vw's I notice a slight incline from the rear bars. Do you think it's bad to not put the rear bars in the recommended position? I wanna move the rear bars back so my roof box sits flatter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What cargo box is in your photo? I'm trying to figure out the biggest box I can get that doesn't prevent the rear hatch from opening, and which can sit next to two bike gutters. It seems like you've found a happy medium with your box choice and the flush mount, though I'm doubtful you could get two bike mounts on there as well (from the provided photo).

I'm thinking that my options are limited with the whispbar s16 through bar, but the s17 is 53 inches wide and I don't really want the gratuitous overhang if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

chilito

whispbar s17 GTI project

First, thanks @Jason3d for the great write-up… it's the best I could find on the subject. Second, it was really tough to find photos of GTI's with the whispbar through bars. Everyone has gone flush mount, which does indeed look nice, but what if you want to carry two bikes and a short box? 'Hatchback-friendly" Thule Force (formerly Ascent) and the equivalent Yakima box are 34-35 inches wide. Maybe you can squeeze a bike on the flush-mount rack with a 34-inch box, but I haven't seen pictures of it. But I didn't stop at the still-elegant s16 through bar system, I bumped up to the smash-your-forehead 53 inches of the s17. Since I don't intend to leave the bars on all the time, I was less concerned about streamlining and more concerned with carrying a lot of stuff on the roof. THIRTEEN notches in the front and EIGHT in the rear, ya heard right.

I haven't picked up the box yet but did get two Thule Paceline fork-mount bike trays and matching keys to pair with futurebox. They're pretty slick… it's no longer a gutter at all. I chose this model to keep the width to a minimum, intending to mount a tray outside the feet on one side and the outer attachments of the box on the other side.

In summation, for the google bots: 2010 Mk6 VW GTI with Yakima Whispbar s17 through bar system and Thule Paceline trays.
Rack from rackattack and trays from local bike shop. Photos are not great. Bars are set up in asymmetry as an experiment.

FWIW: with one bike on the roof, windows and moonroof and shade closed, I didn't notice any additional noise. With windows up and moonroof open at high speed, you hear some whoosh around the bars but no whistle.

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Looks like you have a lot of room to fit stuff with the through bars.

Update from me, I sold my mk6 last night so will be putting my oem bars and Whispbars on the classifieds soon to fund a rack for my new car.