GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0341: camshaft sensor of timing problem?

JamarGTI

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum. I have a litte problem with my 2010 golf mk6 gti. Last year when i bought the car, i was well aware of the timing chain & tensioner problem. So the first thing i did was buy the timing chain service kit with the revised tensioner from ecs tuning. After that i could still here the rattle sometimes but my mechanic said “no biggie”. At least i can have a peace of mind because it was the revised tensioner.

Okay, now 10 months later i start my car up and i dont hear anything but as soon as i started to drive, i hear the timing chain rattling voor 2 seconds, some sputter and my EPC light flashed on for a second and my dash gives a message with “check engine: service now” and then it goes away after 2 seconds.

The EPC did not stay on and nor did the check engine light came on. i went to scan my car and i only got the trouble code P0341 camshaft positioning sensor.
So i went and ordered the sensor en cleared the code. A few days after that it happened again, sputter, rattle and message. I did another scan and the same message came: P0341 camshaft positioning sensor

Me nor my mechanic knows what te problem is, i get the sputter, rattle thing pretty often now so i dont really want to drive the car, mostly when i go up a bridge or something steep and im going like 20km/h.

Can you guys please help me? Thanks in advance (oh and sorry for the long text)

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
If I were in that position I wouldn't take any chances. I would open it up and make sure everything is still aligned and make sure there are no issues with any of the guides, chains, or tensioners.

MJETTOGTI

I have run into similar problems, 20,000 miles ago a friend and I changed most of the timing chain system, tensioner, guides, chains and cover have not had a problem since. Now I have had camshaft position sensor (replaced) and currently crankshaft position sensor code P0016.

I have checked cam timing, marks are spot on, just inspected the N205 spool valve, no damage, clean and movement is free.

Going to check the electronic actuator for resistance and voltage checks next.

After that may need to go to dealer.

JamarGTI

do you also get the sputter and the check engine message?

i live in Suriname and we don't have a vw dealer here unfortunately. Please keep me posted.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Might be time to pull the top timing cover and manually check timing. Also, I did the revision tensioner install first at 80k, after a while I was getting warm start start up rattles. I went back in and redid the the entire chain and guides due to stretch. The chain on this engine has been revised a few times and is known to stretch and can jump time even with the updated tensioner.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
do you also get the sputter and the check engine message?

i live in Suriname and we don't have a vw dealer here unfortunately. Please keep me posted.

Did you actually change the chains too? or just the tensioner and guides? If you didn't have the chains changed out then that could be your issue, around 100k is usually where the stretch can start to become and issue, I just had to do mine at 109k

JamarGTI

Here is a video of what happens when i drive slow..

In second gear i first hear the chain rattling for a second, than follower by a slight stutter and the message you see in the video

https://youtu.be/FmJEFJ8iBQY

the rattle stops when a start accelerating more

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Here is a video of what happens when i drive slow..

In second gear i first hear the chain rattling for a second, than follower by a slight stutter and the message you see in the video

https://youtu.be/FmJEFJ8iBQY

the rattle stops when a start accelerating more
Did they verify the balance shafts spin freely and the screen in the can bridge was intact or all the parts accounted for if it wasnt

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

JamarGTI

So last year when i had this problem my car went in for a service and the problem mysteriously went away but today, almost a year later it came back. Exactly when it was time to service my car so i did that but it did not resolve my problem

Anyone has some updates for me?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

roukyweal20

Went to start my car to drive to work this morning and low and behold, it starts, sounds funky for 10 seconds, then shuts off. Throws code p0341, and reads camshaft position sensor bank 1. Searching around I found the timing chain could have also jumped a tooth. Almost 170k miles. I don’t think the timing chain is Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1 something I can do myself in my driveway, but I can do the sensor. Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:

GolfswagenVolk

Went to start my car to drive to work this morning and low and behold, it starts, sounds funky for 10 seconds, then shuts off. Throws code p0341, and reads camshaft position sensor bank 1. Searching around I found the timing chain could have also jumped a tooth. Almost 170k miles. I don’t think the timing chain is something I can do myself in my driveway, but I can do the sensor. Anyone have any experience with this?
what happened when you tried to restart it?

Emkelawon

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum. I have a litte problem with my 2010 golf mk6 gti. Last year when i bought the car, i was well aware of the timing chain & tensioner problem. So the first thing i did was buy the timing chain service kit with the revised tensioner from ecs tuning. After that i could still here the rattle sometimes but my mechanic said “no biggie”. At least i can have a peace of mind because it was the revised tensioner.

Okay, now 10 months later i start my car up and i dont hear anything but as soon as i started to drive, i hear the timing chain rattling voor 2 seconds, some sputter and my EPC light flashed on for a second and my dash gives a message with “check engine: service now” and then it goes away after 2 seconds.

The EPC did not stay on and nor did the check engine light came on. i went to scan my car and i only got the trouble code P0341 camshaft positioning sensor.
So i went and ordered the sensor en cleared the code. A few days after that it happened again, sputter, rattle and message. I did another scan and the same message came: P0341 camshaft positioning sensor

Me nor my mechanic knows what te problem is, i get the sputter, rattle thing pretty often now so i dont really want to drive the car, mostly when i go up a bridge or something steep and im going like 20km/h.

Did the issue ever come right?

Emkelawon

Hi all,

Did your problem ever come right, haf 2 mechs say that the camshaft itself is worned out on mine im abit sceptical because that an expensive fix and what if the problem still persists