GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should we expect lower parts cost because of this?

2010 UG

Ready to race!
No, somebody along the supply chain would certainly eat up any available margin. They may create some B.S. scheme to charge more.

plat

Ready to race!
IMO, the Chattanoga plant is there to maximize profits and keep costs down to be able to compete with Toyota, Ford, Honda, etc. VW plans to meet their competitors head-on and sell more cars in North America. Also, if a car is built in North America, it won't be charged import duties when it is sent into Canada (don't know 'bout Mexico. NAFTA seems to work more for the benefit of the US more than Canada and Mexico).

So, if they keep their costs (materials and labour) down, they increase profit. On the flip side of the coin, they are more carbon neutral (no need to ship cars from Europe) and employ US citizens.

On having 80% of the parts manufactured from local sources, that's going to be tough as a lot of manufacturing that were once being done within the US are now outsourced to India or China. It would be good to bring back the manufacturing of goods in the US, i.e. would generate more jobs locally, but economically, that seems impossible.

To answer your question, yes, parts will eventually become a bit cheaper if they are of local source. I do not expect them to be lower by that much. It is still a VW part and VW will intend to make more $$ out of it.

Last edited:

Zeraphil

To answer your question, yes, parts will eventually become a bit cheaper if they are of local source. I do not expect them to be lower by that much. It is still a VW part and VW will intend to make more $$ out of it.

Yeah, I guess this makes sense. I guess it also depends on which car they focus on. I think I read, however, that Jetta, Passat and Golfs would be made there.