GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sudden Oil/Coolant Mix Spray

torga

Autocross Champion
Quick backstory: I bought this 2011 GTI two weeks ago - it has 115,800mi as of now. Payed for a PPI and the previous owner fixed all issues (including a warrantied intake manifold (IM) replacement) before I bought it. IM was replaced exactly three weeks ago. Fast forward to last Monday (19th), and I get the same P2015 code. Great. Schedule a dealer visit for this past Tuesday (28th). They keep it overnight to confirm the issue and they end up invoking the warranty and replacing with a brand new IM. I picked it up earlier this afternoon.

Whew, ok.
Got home right after I picked the car up and popped the hood. I'm greeted with oil splattered on the engine cover, few drops on the CAI tube, a bit pooled on the tray underneath the crank pulley and the AC compressor, and all along the RH side of the radiator.
This car has been 100% leak free the whole time I've owned it. Did not have white smoke when I test drove it, hasn't had any in two weeks. Driveway and garage floor were clear until I brought it home today. It's not dripping an insane amount, but there are noticeable drops now where there never were.

I'm mostly trying to figure out if the techs were just messy and whatever they spilled/sprayed is making its way down and dripping, or if I have a coolant/oil mixing issue that conveniently just popped up.
Called VW a half hour after I picked it up, and unfortunately the tech that did my IM already left for the day. So I'll have to wait until the morning to get more information.

I was planning on changing the oil this weekend anyway, so the drained oil should be my final answer. I'm just worried about it right now and am trying to get input.

zrickety

The Fixer
Are you saying this is the second manifold in 3 weeks? That's unheard of. You need to clean up the bay (dealer should have done this) and see there is a real leak somewhere. You mentioned a timing cover leak before, I wonder if there is a problem with the PCV.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yeah, second one. Here's a photo of the detailed service notes.
I already had plans to buy a catch can after the holidays, but if this is the PCV or if there was significant residue on the IM, then I should probably buy the can soon.

torga

Autocross Champion
The tech had to remove the oil filter and tilted it, so a bunch of oil spilled out. Huge relief. I hate how worried I get about these things.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
ive never had oil spill out when I remove the oil filter...strange. crazy how they gave it to you like that without cleaning it up at all

torga

Autocross Champion
ive never had oil spill out when I remove the oil filter...strange. crazy how they gave it to you like that without cleaning it up at all
Right? I changed my oil over the weekend and it was incredibly easy to not spill any oil when I removed the filter. So I dunno what he was doing.
I removed the splash guard while I was at it and cleaned up the whole area - haven't seen a drip since. He somehow must've spilled quite a bit.