GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HS Tuning RSR Clutch Kit Product Release

IndyTom

Ready to race!
Totally not trying to thread jack; I'm posting here because this is the option I'm considering, but I'm wondering why more people don't go with the Sachs clutch?

http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sachs-Performance-Kupplung-Sportkupplung/VW/VW-Golf-VI-5K1-10.08-%3E/2.0-GTi-155-kW-;-04/2009-:::2_6_806_5190.html

All I ever really see people talking about are the CM and SB options.

???

You should probably start your own thread and ask this question since this thread specifically talks about the HSTuning RSR clutch kit. You will definitely will get more of a response in a dedicated thread asking about the Sachs type clutch kits.

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
Totally not trying to thread jack; I'm posting here because this is the option I'm considering, but I'm wondering why more people don't go with the Sachs clutch?

http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sachs-Performance-Kupplung-Sportkupplung/VW/VW-Golf-VI-5K1-10.08-%3E/2.0-GTi-155-kW-;-04/2009-:::2_6_806_5190.html

All I ever really see people talking about are the CM and SB options.

???

my theory is they make one of the oem disks (other company making them is Luk) and people don't want to buy another OEM part becase it was so shitty the first time.

i think bowers is running it and has had good results but

ShdBluMkVI

Ready to race!
You should probably start your own thread and ask this question since this thread specifically talks about the HSTuning RSR clutch kit. You will definitely will get more of a response in a dedicated thread asking about the Sachs type clutch kits.

Ok - point taken

but since the only 2 I'm considering is the RSR and Sachs' SRE performance clutch kit, I will rephrase my question to all of you who went with the RSR:

What was it about the RSR that you would say makes it better choice?
(over the Sachs kit in particular, since I'm not even interested in the CM or SB)

IndyTom

Ready to race!
Ok - point taken

but since the only 2 I'm considering is the RSR and Sachs' SRE performance clutch kit, I will rephrase my question to all of you who went with the RSR:

What was it about the RSR that you would say makes it better choice?
(over the Sachs kit in particular, since I'm not even interested in the CM or SB)

I was considering the Sachs SRE kit and even spoke to the representative directly in Germany about it. I was about to order it until he asked me which flywheel I have on my car. Sachs or LUK. I told him I don't know and said why does it matter. He said that the pattern or holes in the friction disks slightly differ between the SACHS Flywheel and the LUK Flywheel and it does matter which kit to order. I then asked if I can give him the VIN number if he could look up if it came with the LUK or the SACHS flywheel. He said you can't tell by the VIN number and the only way for sure is to take the clutch apart and see what is stamped on the Flywheel. So that's the number one reason I didn't go with the SACHS SRE kit over the HSTuning RSR kit. Since I didn't want to order the SRE kit from Europe just to find out it wouldn't fit my Flywheel. I saw on some forums that others did order the kit for the SACHS Flywheel and even thou they had the LUK flywheel still could make it work with some modification like drill out a couple of holes on the Friction disk to match up with their flywheel. I really didn't want to go through that hassle and decided to go with the sure thing and I am very glad I did. The RSR Clutch grabs like a mule and even after the first year it still doesn't show any sign of change or different feel. The reason is that HSTuning is using a Self Adjusting LUK Pressure plate vs the SACHS SRE kit which does not adjust. Also there was no slippage in COLD weather and trust me it got cold here in Indiana this winter. Up to 50 below Zero cold where Birds were literally falling dead from the trees. Heck we had 18 degree windchill this morning and snow yesterday. That after almost reaching 80 degrees on the weekend. Crazy weather.
Anyway, I don't think you will regret the decision in going with the RSR clutch. It's the BEST performance Mod I have done to my car besides the APR Stage II tune. It performs as advertised with absolutely no vibration or noise. The pedal pressure is a bit firmer than the mushy stock clutch and I personally prefer it that way. There is no guessing when it comes to the engagement point and it is a lot easier to modulate the clutch pedal with this clutch than the stock clutch. It's smooth and yet it pulls very aggressively. I mean it's like a Mule on Steroids that just wants to grab those tires and shred them if you let it. ;-) That is my number one problem at this time. Wheel HOP. If you go with any sort of tune and a performance clutch you need to do yourself a favor and get the HPA 75a Lower Dogbone mount. It will take the sloop out of your drivetrain and eliminate your wheel hop. Now Wheel Spin is another story :D

Also the SRE kit for the Dual Mass Flywheel is rated at 550nm which converted is 406 ft lbs and the RSR clutch is rated at 480 ft lbs. It's up to you but to me it isn't worth ordering the SRE clutch from Europe and waiting for it to arrive only to find out that you might have ordered the wrong kit. Then trying to modify it to fit and hoping it works out for you when you can have a kit that has a higher torque rating and is readily available here in the US. To me it's a No Brainer decision especially if you are only considering these two options.

ShdBluMkVI

Ready to race!
Thanks - this was exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

I had no idea about the flywheel compatibility issue.

WEBSTAR5

Ready to race!
flywheel

I like the idea of this clutch however Im at 110,000km and Im worried I would have to replace my flywheel since the clutch has been slipping and I got a qoute from VW here in Canada for over $900!

Is this right? Are there cheaper suppliers/alternatives?

Thanks.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Woot I'm on the way from chicago.

Fangirl status unlocked

mattttt

Go Kart Champion
Please forgive the noob question, but would you recommend replacing the stock flywheel given that I'm about to roll over 40k? (That is, with another OEM DMFW). I'm about to go Stage 2 but my stock clutch has slipped a few times over the past couple months.

oehawks3

Ready to race!
No that you shouldn't but the HS tuning clutch, but I have the southbend stage 3 drop in disc with the oem flywheel and pressure plate with a K04 and have had 0 issues.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Please forgive the noob question, but would you recommend replacing the stock flywheel given that I'm about to roll over 40k? (That is, with another OEM DMFW). I'm about to go Stage 2 but my stock clutch has slipped a few times over the past couple months.

I slipped plenty of times on my OEM dmfw and at 45k miles when I switched to this clutch I had no issues. At 65k now with no issues, either.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk