GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Southbend Drop in at 50k

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Just installed my 'DIY' RSR clutch today and thought I'd post pics of the Southbend 'Drop in' disc with 50k mostly K04 and about 3k on my F23T.

It was still holding strong when I pulled it- just wanted something a little smoother as the SB disc is unsprung and any time I let my wife or someone else who wasn't used to it drive- it was pretty rough.

I've always been pretty easy on clutches- always putting it in neutral when coming to a stop and at red lights or any other time I wasn't moving

Highly recommended for anyone considering it.

On to the photos..

Here's the original pressure plate and flywheel both with 70k

Last edited:

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
That fly wheel and clutch look pretty good still! The only hot spots look to be on the pressure plate which the ceramic side of the clutch was up against

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
How're you liking the SB so far?

He just took out the SB drop in and replaced it with a DIY RSR clutch. He was just showing the longevity and durability of the SB drop in. :) He is enjoying his RSR clutch now.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
He just took out the SB drop in and replaced it with a DIY RSR clutch. He was just showing the longevity and durability of the SB drop in. :) He is enjoying his RSR clutch now.

Exactly.. The drop in disc served me well and is a good budget option if you're running stage II or K04/F23T.

The one thing I would have done differently is install a T/O bearing shim as sometimes it would be a little hard to get out of gear and would 'drag' a little as if it weren't fully disengaging..

YMMV of course..

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Exactly.. The drop in disc served me well and is a good budget option if you're running stage II or K04/F23T.

The one thing I would have done differently is install a T/O bearing shim as sometimes it would be a little hard to get out of gear and would 'drag' a little as if it weren't fully disengaging..

YMMV of course..

Hmm, I wonder if that's what is causing the lower gears (1-3) being hard to shift for me in traffic. Did you install a T/o Bearing shim on the replacement clutch?

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Hmm, I wonder if that's what is causing the lower gears (1-3) being hard to shift for me in traffic. Did you install a T/o Bearing shim on the replacement clutch?

I have the SB drop in clutch and have the same issues with first gear. I didn't install the shim, I have the nls shim unused since i am installing the rsr clutch and clutchmasters hydraulic bearing. If anyone wants to buy the NLS shim kit, I have it for sale in the classifieds here.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

I installed the shim with the new setup. Never had it with the drop-in. I noticed that a quick tap of the throttle made lower gear changes a lot easier. For me it became a habit. See if that helps for you..

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
quick tap of the throttle has been working for me, and/or double clutching, just have to make it 2nd nature though