GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04, California, and Smog

steve9842015

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

Haven't been on here in forever, but it's the first time I need to smog the car and I'm having quite a bit of issues.

K04, I have the non test-pile and a 42dd spacer on the last oxygen sensor (place doesn't do visual). I'm having a problem getting all monitors to clear readiness, specifically the cat itself. I keep throwing a P0420 no matter what I do with the spacer it seems. I've extended it out as far as I believe it can go, I've oriented the spacer towards the front and rear of the car, etc, but within 10 minutes of driving on stock file it'll pop a soft code and eventually the MIL. Any other suggestions?

I've been trying to get everything cleared with VCDS and I can get all monitors to show passed except for the cat, once again. Using basic settings on group 046 (cat bank efficiency), I can run the test and it'll eventually show CatB1 Not Okay.

My question is, does anyone know the parameters for the cat efficiency to pass readiness tests? During the test the conversion number will sit around 0.03-0.06, then after a minute or so it'll show Not Okay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For other K04s in California, what has worked for you?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I use stock downpipe, not much work and a sure thing.

steve9842015

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there enough space to add a bung on a cfba downpipe? Always heard people needing to use a ccta

nuisancecc

Ready to race!
Just swing down south and borrow my modded CCTA downpipe, I'm an hour south of San Jose. You can use it to pass, I used it to pass the state ref inspection, but I will need a deposit to make sure I get it back. I won't charge you for the use and I will give you back 100% of your deposit. Let me know.

nuisancecc

Ready to race!
Is there enough space to add a bung on a cfba downpipe? Always heard people needing to use a ccta

No there isn't enough space and you can't just swap in a CCTA downpipe because you have to modify the mounting flange and weld in a bung under the car. I already did all that work for you though ;)

steve9842015

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the offer! I ended up getting it to pass smog today, I really didn't want to have to deal with swapping downpipes if I could avoid it.

I ended up putting a spark plug non fouler in the pre-cat sensor and the 42dd+non fouler in the post-cat sensor and it cleared readiness immediately! Smog place was a simple obdii plugin and they didn't do a visual so it only took a few minutes. Took the spacers off immediately after and finally got this thing registered.

Thank goodness. Putting these away until next time.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the offer! I ended up getting it to pass smog today, I really didn't want to have to deal with swapping downpipes if I could avoid it.

I ended up putting a spark plug non fouler in the pre-cat sensor and the 42dd+non fouler in the post-cat sensor and it cleared readiness immediately! Smog place was a simple obdii plugin and they didn't do a visual so it only took a few minutes. Took the spacers off immediately after and finally got this thing registered.

I want to know where this place is

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

so where do you have the sensor thats supposed to be on the turbo?

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
Let me get this straight.

If you can run the k04/f23t on stock mode without throwing a CEL (via spacers/spark plug non-foulers), then you will pass OBDII inspection. Correct? This is assuming the shop overlooks visuals.

steve9842015

Passed Driver's Ed
Let me get this straight.

If you can run the k04/f23t on stock mode without throwing a CEL (via spacers/spark plug non-foulers), then you will pass OBDII inspection. Correct? This is assuming the shop overlooks visuals.

Yep, as long as you have a non test-pipe file for stock mode.

so where do you have the sensor thats supposed to be on the turbo?

That sensor is at the very top of the flange on the down-pipe (billy boat tbe).

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
That sensor is at the very top of the flange on the down-pipe (billy boat tbe).

do you know if all aftermarket cbfa downpipes have a bung for the sensor from the turbo?

I have an ultimate racing CBFA and the lower part I can see my 2 sensors but i cant get far enough under right now to see if theres a bung near the flange if I wanted to go K04

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Thread bump.

Im CCTA and have a CCTA stock downpipe.

So i should be able to just swap pipes and run stock mode and get her to pass yes?