GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
ok heres my stupid question

I have a CTS turbo Air intake on my Golf R after cleaning it and letting it dry. Should i just throw it back in or lightly spray so K&N oil on it?
do not oil it. They do not use oiled filters. Also be careful cleaning their filters (they are not meant to be cleaned, i have already talked to them about it).

I bought a AEM dryflow air filter similar in size to my CTS filter and they have a specific cleaner you use on it with water. It cost me about $60 with the cleaner spray bottle and i have cleaned it once so far... speaking of i should probably clean it again soon.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yup, imgur ftw. Although only a matter of time, before they start to ask for money. Storage and bandwidth isn't cheap.

that is why they have ads and sponsored content on there now.

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
I think i ruined my engine...

I was just driving around and floored the gas pedal, it downshifted (DSG) back to second gear as usual, but this time it got stuck in second gear and the car just didnt go any faster. Now both the EPC and Check Engine light are on. The car goes barely faster than 60km/37miles, And thats when i have almost fully pressed the gas pedal in. It also starts-up very hard.

Its an GTI.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion

I was just driving around and floored the gas pedal, it downshifted (DSG) back to second gear as usual, but this time it got stuck in second gear and the car just didnt go any faster. Now both the EPC and Check Engine light are on. The car goes barely faster than 60km/37miles, And thats when i have almost fully pressed the gas pedal in. It also starts-up very hard.

Its an GTI.

That definitely doesn't sound good, it could be something electronic that put you in limp mode and just needs reset but it could be something more serious. Does the car smoke, does it have a BAD ticking/clunking sound? Most TSIs have lifter tick as I understand which is why I put emphasis on bad. Is it shifting through the gears normally?

If you don't have VAGCOM or similar OBD code reader I'd find a friend or local shop or pets store to read the codes and research those. If they aren't serious clear them and see where you get from there.

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Its an GTI.
sound like limp mode.

Was there a big "pop" noise? Maybe you blue a hose off and have a massive boost leak. Please stop driving it until you read the codes and check.

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
That definitely doesn't sound good, it could be something electronic that put you in limp mode and just needs reset but it could be something more serious. Does the car smoke, does it have a BAD ticking/clunking sound? Most TSIs have lifter tick as I understand which is why I put emphasis on bad. Is it shifting through the gears normally?

If you don't have VAGCOM or similar OBD code reader I'd find a friend or local shop or pets store to read the codes and research those. If they aren't serious clear them and see where you get from there.

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sound like limp mode.

Was there a big "pop" noise? Maybe you blue a hose off and have a massive boost leak. Please stop driving it until you read the codes and check.

Yeah the engine does have a bad ticking sound now, but there was no smoke or whatsoever. The car only shifts past second gear in manual, when its in D its stuck in second gear and doesnt go past 4K rpm, and doesnt shift up. It also shift very late from first to second gear, around 3.5K rpm, it just "over revs" a lot.

There was not really a loud noise when this happened, but while i drove back home i could hear a loud "whistle" noise coming from the engine, maybe its the turbo? Or as you stated - a loose hose.

The car is stalled at home now, im trying to link up with a local dealer so they can pick the car up with a tow truck.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thank you!

Edit: The car hasnt been started up for about 20hours now, just went down to the garage and started the car. It started very hard again, it just stutters a bit and then it starts. The RPMs keep switching between 800-1200RPM, stationary.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
So this fuckin hurricane is on its way...It's got me thinking about whether or not to stay. I could make a trip out of it, go on a road trip with my dog. I've got family in knoxville, so I could also stop and go on the tail of the dragon while up there for a week.

My mom also offered me her car, but I always feel more comfortable in my own. Plus if I'm gonna do something like the tail of the dragon I'm gonna have to be driving a manual.

What do you guys think...brave it out and storm the weather or go on a road trip? Could take my camera with me and do some driving in the mountains. That's not something I've ever done before, never actually left the state with my own car before.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
So this fuckin hurricane is on its way...It's got me thinking about whether or not to stay. I could make a trip out of it, go on a road trip with my dog. I've got family in knoxville, so I could also stop and go on the tail of the dragon while up there for a week.

My mom also offered me her car, but I always feel more comfortable in my own. Plus if I'm gonna do something like the tail of the dragon I'm gonna have to be driving a manual.

What do you guys think...brave it out and storm the weather or go on a road trip? Could take my camera with me and do some driving in the mountains. That's not something I've ever done before, never actually left the state with my own car before.
Road trip. Why the fuck would u want to stay. Lol. Granted I live in CA and o ly experience earthquakes. If we were switched I'd already be packing.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Road trip. Why the fuck would u want to stay. Lol. Granted I live in CA and o ly experience earthquakes. If we were switched I'd already be packing.

Biggest problem is I don't know wtf the rest of my family is doing yet. My mom and sis might take off for michigan since my dad and uncle already had a flight scheduled for friday. I don't think my dad wants to leave so he can get back to the business right away, we got a boat dealership. If every one is staying it's kinda weird to leave them all behind, but fuuuuck this hurricane...We've never evacuated for a hurricane before, but we've never been threatened this much either and with harvey fresh on everyones mind...seems like everybody is conflicted on whether or not to stay. All the signs are saying leave, but we're so used to just boarding up and sitting through it.

Shitty part about florida is there's only like 2 ways out too, so if you wait too long there's gonna be a shit ton of traffic and every gas station on the interstate is gonna be empty or busy as hell.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Biggest problem is I don't know wtf the rest of my family is doing yet. My mom and sis might take off for michigan since my dad and uncle already had a flight scheduled for friday. I don't think my dad wants to leave so he can get back to the business right away, we got a boat dealership. If every one is staying it's kinda weird to leave them all behind, but fuuuuck this hurricane...We've never evacuated for a hurricane before, but we've never been threatened this much either and with harvey fresh on everyones mind...seems like everybody is conflicted on whether or not to stay. All the signs are saying leave, but we're so used to just boarding up and sitting through it.

Shitty part about florida is there's only like 2 ways out too, so if you wait too long there's gonna be a shit ton of traffic and every gas station on the interstate is gonna be empty or busy as hell.
And this one is supposed to be stronger than Harvey? Also it could potentially flood? Cars with flood dmg no thx. I'd grab my go bag and go. Also ur dog would love not to be terrified by 160mph winds. I'd board up my windows sand bag my doors including garage lock it up tight and bounce. Take what I say with a grain of salt never actually had to do any of that.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'm gonna try to make a decision in the morning.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Im staying put. Daytona Beach.

Floridians are a special breed of people when it comes to hurricanes. They are powerful but ever since andrew(1992) we have put in place super strict building and remodeling laws to prevent such devastation. Most of the homes in Florida (besides some of the new subdivisions) are built entirely from block construction which is a hell of a lot stronger than stick frame.

And this one is supposed to be stronger than Harvey? Also it could potentially flood? Cars with flood dmg no thx. I'd grab my go bag and go. Also ur dog would love not to be terrified by 160mph winds. I'd board up my windows sand bag my doors including garage lock it up tight and bounce. Take what I say with a grain of salt never actually had to do any of that.

We dont flood like other places its funny. We are at sea-level but we dont have levies or dams holding back water already(so the only flooding we get is from surge and rain fall) which this is more of a wind hurricane where as Harvey was a RAIN hurricane.
The problem with houston and new orleans is they already had levies and dams holding back water from the city before the storm came and then with the surge and rain fall they levies breached and caused catastrophic flooding. We (for the most part) do not have or use levies so there would be no catastrophic break and flash flood of water.

I'm gonna try to make a decision in the morning.

Its really up to you i dont fault anyone for leaving or staying. If you are gonna stay be in a block building/home with shutters or impact windows.

I was thinking of hooking up my go-pro camera somewhere on the house and if i do ill share some of the time lapse if i can.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Seems kind of foolish to me to stay put with a huge hurricane bearing down on you. Your choice, good luck hope you weather the storm OK.