GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 drivers, does your car jerk horribly during high boost upshifts?

RevvinEvan

I'm having a similar issue as well. However I am using Cobb OTS tunes (Stage 1 93 and 93 High Boost). In drive, the car is quite sluggish in low RPMs, but a quick switch to manual mode and when stopped for just long enough, the car stays in 3rd. Low throttle is saddening and it isn't until I get about 60-65% throttle position that it decides to start moving except it down shifts all the way to 2nd from 5th or 6th gear.

I have yet to do a DSG service as it probably needs it. I'm peaking occasionally over 20 psi, while normally I'm around 17-18 psi. I shift it manually at full load and I drop to around 3 or 4 psi from 17 and have to wait for it to come back while throttle is at 100%. I upgraded to R8 coils and NGK BKR7EIX (0.028 gap), replaced the fuel filter to the 6.6 bar version, and replaced the DV with the rev 'D' version. My AFRs are generally crap (~13.00 @ 17-20ish psi) and anywhere from 14.3 to 15.5 at idle. I figure I have a boost leak, but have not tested for it yet. Wastegate duty cycle is dumb too as it isn't consistent and sometimes opens at 0% throttle and later closes/opens randomly. I had access to a VAGCOM cable briefly and tested the N75 valve and it seemed fine. I don't hear the PCV valve screaming though when the car is running, I lose quite a bit of vacuum when I take the oil cap off and the car runs a little rough but not terrible.

I have contacted Cobb (their HQ are right down the road :happyanim: ) and I just sent them some logs from the AP. I will see what ideas come from that. If anyone else has any ideas, other than tuning the DSG and/or tuning off and on again, I'm all ears.

RevvinEvan

Well as an update, I replaced the PCV unit which did not do much, but its a good maintenance thing to do. I have one last log that I need to send to Cobb to confirm possible suspicions of theirs, but I've got a good idea as to what that is. I did however after replacing the PCV unit, notice that when the windows are down and I start getting into higher boost levels (starting at 9 or 10 psi and up), I hear a much different woosh of air that isn't the turbo spooling.

Most definitely a boost leak that seems to be coming from the driver side of the car. I haven't gotten underneath to check the intercooler connections, nor have I checked other areas attached either though I will hopefully soon. I may need the green O-rings for the piping or I may have cracks which would be more unfortunate. In regards to the previous symptoms of bucking when shifting at high boost/high rpm, that is still present. I do also peak boost wise all over the place. Usually north of 20 psi (stage 1 High Boost on 93). I will update when more news comes in or something else changes.