GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 TSI Injector Failure... How Common?

qshashaa

Ready to race!
i dont know why but i feel like you're trolling dude. i asked you which dealers and you didn't say. i know of 3 mod friendly dealers in the LA area who have done warranty work on personal friends tuned cars.. cam followers, HPFP, water pumps, etc.. why are you getting picked on? i named the mod friendly dealers for you, along with service mgr. names in another thread and you didnt respond.. what dealer is saying this to you? and even if they are, which i find very surprising, you can always request to get a regional rep out after talking to VWoA and exercise your rights etc. ive been told flat out by service managers at dealers that unless you come in with a problem that hasn't happened to stock cars, or it is obvious your tune or something caused the problem, that it will be covered.

most people talking about a dealer screwing them would out the dealer by name right off the bat. whats the big secret?

sorry but it doesnt add up

:lol: No big secret, I told you the name of the dealer on the other thread, whereas you didn't tell me the names of the mod friendly dealers you work with as of yet . If these dealers are so great you should go on the regional forums and recognize them so people like me don't have to through this shit again. Regional Rep is checking my car out tuesday and I bet they are going to cover it under warranty. If not you send me the address to your dealer ;)

McQueen77

Banned
i dont know why but i feel like you're trolling dude. i asked you which dealers and you didn't say. i know of 3 mod friendly dealers in the LA area who have done warranty work on personal friends tuned cars.. cam followers, HPFP, water pumps, etc.. why are you getting picked on? i named the mod friendly dealers for you, along with service mgr. names in another thread and you didnt respond.. what dealer is saying this to you? and even if they are, which i find very surprising, you can always request to get a regional rep out after talking to VWoA and exercise your rights etc. ive been told flat out by service managers at dealers that unless you come in with a problem that hasn't happened to stock cars, or it is obvious your tune or something caused the problem, that it will be covered.

most people talking about a dealer screwing them would out the dealer by name right off the bat. whats the big secret?

sorry but it doesnt add up

:lol: No big secret, I told you the name of the dealer on the other thread, whereas you didn't tell me the names of the mod friendly dealers you work with as of yet . If these dealers are so great you should go on the regional forums and recognize them so people like me don't have to through this shit again. Regional Rep is checking my car out tuesday and I bet they are going to cover it under warranty. If not you send me the address to your dealer ;)

you're an odd dude.

i named them already, but, again: VW Alhambra: ask for Paolo. VW Pasadena: Ask for Norm. VW Downtown LA: ask for Julio.

you can find the addresses/numbers on your own.

wow:dnftt:

qshashaa

Ready to race!
you're an odd dude.

i named them already, but, again: VW Alhambra: ask for Paolo. VW Pasadena: Ask for Norm. VW Downtown LA: ask for Julio.

you can find the addresses/numbers on your own.

wow:dnftt:

If my experiences sound odd to you theres not much I can do other then explain, but thanks i guess for the dealers' names. Ill give them I try if it doesn't work out with Mckenna.

GTIProject

Ready to race!
We see these at our Audi shop a lot in 2010-2011-2012. Just the other day I have a 2012 A7 with 7800 miles on it come in with a bad injector. Few weeks back I had two 2012 CAEB EA888 motors with bad injectors. Our rep says its a combination of a vendor quality issue with old injectors from inventory being put into new engines, and the US's amount of ethanol in the gas which I guess messes with the delicate DI injectors.

Another source of proven failure is tiny particles of carbon being pushed back into the injector nozzles and causing the pintle valve to stick open.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
We see these at our Audi shop a lot in 2010-2011-2012. Just the other day I have a 2012 A7 with 7800 miles on it come in with a bad injector. Few weeks back I had two 2012 CAEB EA888 motors with bad injectors. Our rep says its a combination of a vendor quality issue with old injectors from inventory being put into new engines, and the US's amount of ethanol in the gas which I guess messes with the delicate DI injectors.

Another source of proven failure is tiny particles of carbon being pushed back into the injector nozzles and causing the pintle valve to stick open.

Thanks for the input/data. My dealer here in Germany is not seeing alot of this yet.

McQueen77

Banned
no its not just a glorified oil change nor is it cheap 400-500, but essential IMO. they run solvents thru the fuel lines, remove, clean and put new seals on all injectors, new fuel filter, and a bottle of system cleaner in the tank.
may even be more, this is all i can remember off hand.

u can tell them to do whatever u want.

bought a new fuel filter at VW Pasadena today and talked to the service adviser Norm again about the Fuel System/Induction service. It is the BG service where they apparently do everything you are saying above. Definitely way better than Seafoam.. Being mistrusting of dealers, I guess I just have to take their word for it that they did it. They charge $220 for the service and it is separate from the usual 40k service. He told me "if you change your oil and filter etc. yourself, just bring it in and we'll do the fuel treatment and rotate tires, inspection etc. for $280

So if I DIY'd the oil change etc. myself, the 40k would still cost me around $400. Question is, while this sounds like a good thing to do, do you do it even if you aren't having problems related to carbon build up etc., or do you wait til something breaks?

If my experiences sound odd to you theres not much I can do other then explain, but thanks i guess for the dealers' names. Ill give them I try if it doesn't work out with Mckenna.

alright man, fair enough. if you brush up on your overall communication skills, people wouldn't be so hard on you. if you read back on all your posts, a lot of it just sounds bizarre and is not clearly communicated, until the end, where you finally say whats going on and who the dealer is.

edgary

Ready to race!
I just had this happen to me two days ago. Exact same symptoms.

Diagnosis was a leaking injector in cylinder #4. I believe only that injector was changed, and the oil was not replaced. Car has 30,5XX miles on it, so it was still covered under warranty, but it also means that it just had the oil changed just over 500 miles ago.

I was advised to use BG's 44K fuel additive every now and then. I've been reading about that, Seafoam and Redline SI-1, in addition to Gumout, which I've used on another car before.

I guess I need to have a talk with the service representative.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Diagnosis was a leaking injector in cylinder #4. I believe only that injector was changed, and the oil was not replaced.
If fuel got in the oil, it will break it down and that can damage the bearings. I would do an oil change for peace of mind.

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
I had an injector fail wide open and had my engine flooded with gasoline back in feburary. Had to have my car towed to the dealer

edgary

Ready to race!
Interesting development.

Yesterday I was driving from work when the GTI again suddenly lost power and I got the same message: "Service Now!" I couldn't accelerate so I was just cruising when the car shut itself off. I was able to get to a secondary road (I didn't quite make it to an empty parking lot) before stopping the car.

Surprisingly, the car started right away, so I turned around and went back to the dealership to leave it there to get it checked again.

While I was there, I talked to the service advisor and he told me that the instructions to replace all 4 injectors, as well as the oil, or not come from the Volkswagen tech line that they have to call before the service is performed. I still let it be known that I'm no longer comfortable with the oil, that has only been in the car for ~600 miles.

We'll see what they say today =\

kec789

Ready to race!
Interesting development.

Yesterday I was driving from work when the GTI again suddenly lost power and I got the same message: "Service Now!" I couldn't accelerate so I was just cruising when the car shut itself off. I was able to get to a secondary road (I didn't quite make it to an empty parking lot) before stopping the car.

Surprisingly, the car started right away, so I turned around and went back to the dealership to leave it there to get it checked again.

While I was there, I talked to the service advisor and he told me that the instructions to replace all 4 injectors, as well as the oil, or not come from the Volkswagen tech line that they have to call before the service is performed. I still let it be known that I'm no longer comfortable with the oil, that has only been in the car for ~600 miles.

We'll see what they say today =\

Car problems blow, especially right after you just got yours back! Hope all turns out Ok for you.

MY GTI just crept over 30K (I've had it around a month is all) and I plan on taking it in before I hit 36K to have a couple of small things done, oil change, etc. I'm now toying with doing the 40K service while I'm at it so I can keep things as nice as possible. Also will probably have the DSG serviced as well although I'm not sure how often I need to have that done.

edgary

Ready to race!
The second problem turned out to be a cam timing sensor. They also replaced the oil, thankfully.

Great dealership; it's a shame that the car had these back-to-back problems because I really like the GTI, but I would be lying if I said I'm not considering replacing it now :(

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
I'm at 13,500 miles. The car was having hard starting issues. I scanned it yesterday & got pending codes P053f & P2293. Today the engine light came on, I scanned it again & got the same codes. It's at the dealer now. I'm modified quite a bit & holding my breath that it will be covered. Fuel system parts are stupid expensive. I can't help but wonder why on the fsI motor with K04 they used s3 injectors & s3 hpfp .