GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Sirius tuner

chinolatte

Is the stock Sirius tuner a proprietary VW one or has anyone had success connecting it to an aftermarket HU? Or at the very least, connect to the built in antenna? I'm assuming no but it would be nice if it was possible.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
I see, what about the antenna? I know its built in to the shark fin, can it work with a different tuner?

If you take out the OEM HU you'll notice that there are two separate antenna cables/connectors. One is a dual-Fakkra (if I'm remember that term properly) connector, which is the standard radio antenna - it's white in color and simply looks like two single connectors molded together. The other cable has a green, single connector.

I can't say with absolute certainty that the green connector is the sat antenna because when I asked here about the two cables I got confusing replies, making it seem like no one actually knew for certain what was what. But, I can say that when I had an aftermarket deck in my car, that did not have sat radio, I used a dual-fakkra adapter to connect the white double connector to the aftermarket deck and left out the green connector and everything worked fine. I made the conclusion that the green connector must be the sat connector. I mean, what else could it be? The cables all say "antenna" on them.

In other words, if someone wanted to use an aftermarket HU that had sat radio they would simply need the appropriate VW style adapter that changes that green connector to whatever type of jack connects to the deck's sat radio antenna port. Or, if you get an aftermarket radio that doesn't have sat radio, and you wanted to add one of those little sat radio car kit things you could, hypothetically, leave out the kit's included antenna and connect to the car's green connector using an appropriate adapter (assuming the right one exists). Hard-wiring the power to the unit would not be difficult either.