GOLFMKV

Sequential/dynamic rear turn signals

Phur

Autocross Champion
OMG video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Can you elaborate how you slid the led strip into the tail light housing without baking the tail lights open? Is it attached or secured to anything or just simply resting. Also would you have pictures of the product you ordered? How did you cut the strip in half and was still able to use it?

Lastly could you comment on the overall brightness of the strip in respect to the oem incandescent or an led amber bulb...

Sorry for bombarding you with questions and thanks in advance lol

I need to see this! :)

SuperDave1

I’ve now successfully installed sequential LED turn signals on my Mk6. I used an “exLED DIY PCB Series - DB18 1533L2 Bar Sequential Vertical” from a Korean outfit called “exLED” [website http://www.exledshop.com/universal-...db18-1533l2-bar-sequential-vertical-copy.html].

The LED bar cost $53 (plus import duties and taxes of course). Briefly, I cut the bar in two, one half for each side’s turn signal. An access hole was cut in each OEM LED rear light unit and the LED sequential bar slid into place, and connected up to the existing turn signal wiring. Please be aware that to work on the LED bar does require some delicate soldering expertise.

The original turn signal light bulbs were retained in service to stop any ‘bulb out’ warning and the subsequent low voltage rear turn signal. Each bulb is 21watts and each LED half-bar is another 6watts: no adverse effects found. Note that the bulb’s light output is effectively blocked by the sequential LED bar, and an internal lens (in the OEM light unit) protects the LED bar from any damage by the bulb’s heat output.

My result is so like the other Korean outfit’s video (see the first posts) that I have to believe that what I’ve achieved is almost precisely what they did!

Do you have pics or video of your tails?

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!

The guy has only had 4 posts in the 2 years he has been on this forum and 2 are on this thread..... I feel like he isn't going to reply. I am going to buy one of those strips and figure it out myself and post my results.

davserbic

Ready to race!
it cost 250 usd + shipping once they receive them (outer led tails) they can install the dynamic turn signals in the same day an ship them back out.

Also — where is this information available? I tried Google Translating the pages but results were not great.

spegheddy

Just finished doing this mod. Bought the ExLED strip DB17. It looks exactly like the video in an earlier post. Lots of surface mount soldering was involved to get the strips to work, yes it does come with components but they have to be modified.

Anyway. I opted for running a resistor to eliminate the bulb out error (and yes you will get one with these strips). The LED strip I inserted into a clear vinyl tube that was 3/8" inner diameter which served as the vessel for the led strip. Then I was able to insert it through the turn signal hole in the euro LED tails, however you do have to remove a plastic horse shoe shaped light diffuser to get it through (I used a dremel). This way I didn't have to bake open the tail lights. However you can only fit 10 of these LEDs as a result, which still looks awesome nonetheless.

No joke, I dropped my phone a little while a ago and smashed the camera lens so I couldn't take any useful photos or videos... But I'm here to give tips if anyone wants to go through with this.

davserbic

Ready to race!
Just finished doing this mod. Bought the ExLED strip DB17. It looks exactly like the video in an earlier post. Lots of surface mount soldering was involved to get the strips to work, yes it does come with components but they have to be modified.

Anyway. I opted for running a resistor to eliminate the bulb out error (and yes you will get one with these strips). The LED strip I inserted into a clear vinyl tube that was 3/8" inner diameter which served as the vessel for the led strip. Then I was able to insert it through the turn signal hole in the euro LED tails, however you do have to remove a plastic horse shoe shaped light diffuser to get it through (I used a dremel). This way I didn't have to bake open the tail lights. However you can only fit 10 of these LEDs as a result, which still looks awesome nonetheless.

No joke, I dropped my phone a little while a ago and smashed the camera lens so I couldn't take any useful photos or videos... But I'm here to give tips if anyone wants to go through with this.

Haha sounds believable buuuuttttt... still gonna wait on those pics before I go crazy with it.

Maybe you can share some photots/videos when you get a chance?! Thank you!

mrlonger

Evidence!

At last, I've a video** to show - brake lights on and partially in the sun, hazards in operation, OEM (incandescent bulb only) on the left, and the half-DB18 LED strip (with OEM bulb still present) on the right.
If anything, the sequential LEDs on the right appear brighter than the OEM bulb on the left. Certainly that's the case when viewing the real thing on the road (rather than the camera's inevitably imperfect recording - color rendering accuracy and light sensitivity).

With my technique it wasn't necessary to remove the "plastic horse shoe shaped light diffuser" to get it through. The strip can easily be inserted without any protection (the "clear vinyl tube"): it's been removed and re-inserted several times with no damage either to the strip or the light unit. Without the LED strip in place the turn signal operates exactly as the original.

**It now seems I can't post a video clip to this forum/site. Any suggestions as to how I can make my video clip available to you to view?
Meanwhile, here're some stills from the video.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-00001.jpg
    vlcsnap-00001.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 720
  • vlcsnap-00002.jpg
    vlcsnap-00002.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 465
  • vlcsnap-00003.jpg
    vlcsnap-00003.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 500
  • vlcsnap-00004.jpg
    vlcsnap-00004.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 408
  • vlcsnap-00005.jpg
    vlcsnap-00005.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 410
  • vlcsnap-00006.jpg
    vlcsnap-00006.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 405
  • vlcsnap-00007.jpg
    vlcsnap-00007.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 411
  • vlcsnap-00008.jpg
    vlcsnap-00008.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 402
  • vlcsnap-00009.jpg
    vlcsnap-00009.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!
At last, I've a video** to show - brake lights on and partially in the sun, hazards in operation, OEM (incandescent bulb only) on the left, and the half-DB18 LED strip (with OEM bulb still present) on the right.
If anything, the sequential LEDs on the right appear brighter than the OEM bulb on the left. Certainly that's the case when viewing the real thing on the road (rather than the camera's inevitably imperfect recording - color rendering accuracy and light sensitivity).

With my technique it wasn't necessary to remove the "plastic horse shoe shaped light diffuser" to get it through. The strip can easily be inserted without any protection (the "clear vinyl tube"): it's been removed and re-inserted several times with no damage either to the strip or the light unit. Without the LED strip in place the turn signal operates exactly as the original.

**It now seems I can't post a video clip to this forum/site. Any suggestions as to how I can make my video clip available to you to view?
Meanwhile, here're some stills from the video.

Great progress! I really want to see the video and if possible, pics of the splicing and tapping of the LED strip wiring to the turn signal wiring. That's where I'm a bit confused. Not sure how to do that or where to start on that.

Once someone explains me the process, I'd be happy to create an extensive DIY (pic heavy) or someone can beat me to it.

Also — in order to post a video, insert the following into the post.

Code:
[ u 2 b ] VIDEO ID HERE [/ u 2 b]

Obviously no spaces between the BBCode tag and the VIDEO ID is typically the last 10 or so characters of the youtube URL. Its whatatever is after the "=" sign.

URL = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe6QDYRV3oE
ID = qe6QDYRV3oE

mrlonger

Illustrations...

More photos to illustrate some of the techniques used...

Attachments

• Golf Mk6 rear light unit - sequential turn signal  install 30JAN17 -01.JPG
    Golf Mk6 rear light unit - sequential turn signal install 30JAN17 -01.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 2,979
  • Golf Mk6 rear light unit - sequential turn signal  install 18FEB17 -14.JPG
    Golf Mk6 rear light unit - sequential turn signal install 18FEB17 -14.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 2,864
  • Golf Mk6 rear light unit - sequential turn signal  install 18FEB17 -06.JPG
    Golf Mk6 rear light unit - sequential turn signal install 18FEB17 -06.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 3,004
  • Golf Mk6 rear light unit - sequential turn signal  install 18FEB17 -05.JPG
    Golf Mk6 rear light unit - sequential turn signal install 18FEB17 -05.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,084

mrlonger

Great progress! I really want to see the video and if possible, pics of the splicing and tapping of the LED strip wiring to the turn signal wiring. That's where I'm a bit confused. Not sure how to do that or where to start on that.

Once someone explains me the process, I'd be happy to create an extensive DIY (pic heavy) or someone can beat me to it.

Also — in order to post a video, insert the following into the post.

Code:
[ u 2 b ] VIDEO ID HERE [/ u 2 b]
Obviously no spaces between the BBCode tag and the VIDEO ID is typically the last 10 or so characters of the youtube URL. Its whatatever is after the "=" sign.

URL = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe6QDYRV3oE
ID = qe6QDYRV3oE

If I understand you correctly, that means posting my video clip online somewhere, such as on youtube. Is that correct?

davserbic

Ready to race!
If I understand you correctly, that means posting my video clip online somewhere, such as on youtube. Is that correct?

Yea, you have to host the video somewhere first...

I believe this specific forum will only allow you to post videos from YouTube though.. Hence the BBCode is "U2B"

If you choose to upload it elsewhere — you just paste the link and others will have to click out to new pages to view the video rather than inline.

Geffrey

Hello is there any more information? I am a student in electronics and i did some research. I bought a ledstrip on AliExpress that was supposed to be plug and play but I tought it was blinked to fast. I removed the controller and reprogrammed the strip. I have my results in a video. The only thing I need to do is to put in my tail. I am scared to do so what is the best way?http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a0cade78dd69/VID_20171115_221245.mp4

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5000 met Tapatalk