GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Rotary Knight was able to get 400whp/380wtq from his F23t. Granted he is running E85, but running a 100 octane tune on 93 + WMI w/ failsafes seems like a much cheaper way to get the reliable power advertised in those kits. Not trying to sound like a dick, just trying to see if there is a fault in my logic somewhere.
I've been through your thought process before. Running full e85 to max the turbo isn't a cheap process either. Plus the big turbos are doing this on just pump gas and lower boost.
Overall just less component stress on the turbo. No need for meth or ethanol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Pag Parts uses the EFR turbos, FFE uses precision turbos, excelerate will use whatever you want.

PPT allows the use of any turbo, their latest TSI kits have been using EFRs. His kits can be setup with Garrett, Precision, Borg Warner, Xona Rotor, etc.

Last edited:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Wait and buy a used kit. Only a few of us seem to hold onto stuff for a long time, the others buy/sell and lose their ass. You can buy used kits for ~2k. Build the motor yourself. It's seriously not hard. Throw rods in with head studs and thats it. You can remove the motor, install rods and reinstall in one day if you have a hand. All in with rods, headstuds and gaskets/sealant/fluid you're at MAYBE 2k max if you do it yourself.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Could also go the K04 Hybrid route:

TTE420
LOBA
Mabotech
Beach Buggy Turbo
DBV2

All will net you in the high 3xx to low 4xx whp range on pump gas and can be had for less than $3k (most less than $2k). And judging from this thread that power is safe on a stock engine. Granted you will need to find a custom tune from someone like UM or Stratified... still MUCH cheaper than dropping big money on a brand new big turbo kit if your goal is to not build the engine or to chill around 400whp. I'm thinking this is the route I will take.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
had the loba...i was great. but regret not skipping it straight to BT from k04

What kit did you get and do you remember the pricing? It’s not listed on their website and I haven’t be able to get a response from them

Also, did you ever figure out how much power it was making?

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
What kit did you get and do you remember the pricing? It’s not listed on their website and I haven’t be able to get a response from them

Also, did you ever figure out how much power it was making?

i know for the turbo itself was around $2k it was the LO4xx. you wont get a response. theyre the worst with that.

I was in the high 300s with that. have my dyno sheet somewhere. it was a lot of fun esp with an ebc. true BT is more fun though. grab a cts kit with a proper tune and call it a day!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
i know for the turbo itself was around $2k it was the LO4xx. you wont get a response. theyre the worst with that.

I was in the high 300s with that. have my dyno sheet somewhere. it was a lot of fun esp with an ebc. true BT is more fun though. grab a cts kit with a proper tune and call it a day!

Oh not doubt BT is more fun! I just can’t justify spending $4k+ on a big turbo setup plus tuning and install. And then having to drop rods in.

Rather just plop a k04/hybrid in there and keep the engine stock. Then move onto a V8 rwd as my weekender.

I assumed the Loba would be around the same price as the TTE420 but $2k isn’t a bad price! I’ll have to check them out a little harder and get my specifics

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Oh not doubt BT is more fun! I just can’t justify spending $4k+ on a big turbo setup plus tuning and install. And then having to drop rods in.

Rather just plop a k04/hybrid in there and keep the engine stock. Then move onto a V8 rwd as my weekender.

I assumed the Loba would be around the same price as the TTE420 but $2k isn’t a bad price! I’ll have to check them out a little harder and get my specifics

USP Motorsports is TTE dealer in states.

TTE420 Turbocharger for a 2.0 TSI $2975.11 for bare turbo

Also a tune for TTE 420 will be 800-1000, putting you at 4000 before you start buying the bits and pieces included in a kit.

Best bang for the buck since you are already a REVO owner is to buy the REVO K04 kit 1950.00 and get the free tune and you are good to go. Fairly easy to install a K04 over a weekend. I ran K04 for 4 years and loved it, OEM, solid performer and it transforms the character of the car. Usually with 2+ you have tons of midrange, going K04 the power just doesn't trail off anymore it runs like a freight train to redline.

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
PPT allows the use of any turbo, their latest TSI kits have been using EFRs. His kits can be setup with Garrett, Precision, Borg Warner, Xona Rotor, etc.

Hm, he gave me slightly different information--maybe I misunderstood. Good to know.

Also, 350whp on a KO4 and 350whp on a GTX turbo are two different things. The difference is that KO4 will make 350whp for about .05 seconds (a bit of an exaggeration), whereas the GTX will make that power all the way to redline.

This principle is illustrated perfectly here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poFJstnZpDI

The stage 3 feeds the KO4 car the gap sauce quite quickly, despite them being only 30-40whp apart.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
USP Motorsports is TTE dealer in states.

TTE420 Turbocharger for a 2.0 TSI $2975.11 for bare turbo

Also a tune for TTE 420 will be 800-1000, putting you at 4000 before you start buying the bits and pieces included in a kit.

Best bang for the buck since you are already a REVO owner is to buy the REVO K04 kit 1950.00 and get the free tune and you are good to go. Fairly easy to install a K04 over a weekend. I ran K04 for 4 years and loved it, OEM, solid performer and it transforms the character of the car. Usually with 2+ you have tons of midrange, going K04 the power just doesn't trail off anymore it runs like a freight train to redline.

The TTE420 is also the most expensive hybrid k04 kit out there. You can get a beach buggy, and Mabotech hybrid for a max of 2k.

I’m trying to get information and pricing from Loba directly right now but they either don’t want to sell to people in the states or don’t speak English cause I can’t get ahold of them for the life of me.

My point is, you could have a hybrid k04 bought, tuned, and installed for around $4k. Whereas you buy a big turbo kit... the kits usually start around $4k then tuning and install and your likely to be around $6k (very big estimations). And then if you really want to take full advantage of the big turbo you’d have to do at least drop in rods. I have to draw the line somewhere lol. Hybrid k04 seems to be a nice middle ground. So I’d rather save myself the $2k + Rods and just go the hybrid k04 route with a custom tune and chill in the high 300’s hp/tq.

A regular k04 + pnp + Revo tune would definitely be the cheapest route for sure... and the least amount of power out of all of them.

I donno, I’ve got plenty of time to really think about it.

I also really like the idea of getting a custom tune from United Motorsports since they are local to me

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Pnp k04 gives a nice low ground. I got 325hp/325tq out of an older tune. Now running e30 I suspect its closer to 350. But if that's not enough for your appetite, then the above suggestions.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Pnp k04 gives a nice low ground. I got 325hp/325tq out of an older tune. Now running e30 I suspect its closer to 350. But if that's not enough for your appetite, then the above suggestions.

It very well may be enough... I’m just not sure since I’ve never been in a K04 car lol

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Drawing the line is hard for me. I have changed my mind probably 5-6 times over the last 2 months about what direction I want to go. The KO4 makes so much sense, but I know as soon as I pull the trigger and get it done I'm gonna be like "damnit I wish I went bigger"

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Drawing the line is hard for me. I have changed my mind probably 5-6 times over the last 2 months about what direction I want to go. The KO4 makes so much sense, but I know as soon as I pull the trigger and get it done I'm gonna be like "damnit I wish I went bigger"
Yeah I'm kinda there now.
I took a ride along in a apr k04 gti and was like yes I want this. Did everything to get it.
Then took a ride in an efr turbo golf r and was like, I need this in my life. Should have never taken that second ride lol.

Best thing I can tell you is try and get a ride along. That's really the only way to tell. Maybe your local performance shock has a k04 shop car.