GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
It's not... some just have either never had them, or don't like that their 5k plus kits can be beaten by a k04 frame turbo.

Beaten how? Show me a LOBA dyno on a TSI with logs showing psi and EGT’s. And how much are they again? Last I looked, if you can find a reseller they were like $3k

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
Just a heads up. the TTE is slightly better quality wise. the engineer from loba left after personal issues and started tte. youll never get in contact with loba. ive tried and im a dealer. thats why ive stopped offering and never recommended. just used to have one.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Beaten how? Show me a LOBA dyno on a TSI with logs showing psi and EGT’s. And how much are they again? Last I looked, if you can find a reseller they were like $3k

The LO412 seems to be 2,050 Euros which is roughly $2,425 USD.
http://www.pj-turbo.de/shop/turbote...oba/398/loba-lo412-ea888-tsi/tfsi-211hp-stock

The LO4xx seems to be 2,950 Euros which is roughly $3,490 USD.
http://www.pj-turbo.de/shop/turbotechnik/turbolader/vag-upgrade/loba/400/loba-lo4xx-2.0tfsi-ea113

Plus shipping of course. Like mentioned before the L04xx is on a different level completely but the LO412 is more like the TTE420 and come in at about $500 USD less.

I still am very interested in the BBT K430 turbo since the price is under $2,000 USD. They seem to be pretty big in the U.K. and compared to TTE420 and LOBA turbos a lot.

FriggenT1

Banned

If they overheat soooo bad, why does Porsche use them? Where are YOU getting your "overheating" info from? Do you know a guy who knows a guy, who's second cousin had one that burned up at the track?

Btw. Your numbers 450/430
https://youtu.be/EJgBZ3Cm5O4 420/461 on AWD. I'd say pretty good for a k04 frame bolt on application.

Last edited:

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!

Fair point. I think the fact that you can simply bolt them on if you've already installed the ancillary upgrades (intercooler, downpipe) vs a big turbo setup that can require a lot more work depending on whether you go with a pre-built kit or not. This is especially so if you're talking about a custom build that may require more boost management and tweaking to get both good power output and reliability.

Just a heads up. the TTE is slightly better quality wise. the engineer from loba left after personal issues and started tte. youll never get in contact with loba. ive tried and im a dealer. thats why ive stopped offering and never recommended. just used to have one.

This is interesting, and understandably not uncommon in the aftermarket performance parts industry. Not trying to call you out or anything, but we've never had issues with running their upgraded TTRS turbochargers, and we've installed several to date. Unfortunately we haven't had a lot of Gen 1 TSI installs just yet due to the lack of public knowledge on them, and of course, the aforementioned price hike over your standard K04. At least there are finally a few tune options available now. I will take this into account and have my technicians double-check the tolerances on the next turbo that we get in from them though.

To everyone involved in this conversation, my intent is not to debase anyone or their preference of turbocharger; I simply enjoy hearing multiple opinions and experience from several different viewpoints. If you think I'm doing something to attack you, my sincerest apologies, that is not my intent at all. This should be a simple, civil conversation among adults to help improve the community, not tear it apart.

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
When Simon left Loba, its like they disappeared. never returned emails or part inquiries. I REALLY liked my LO4xx but eventually upgraded to gtx3071

FriggenT1

Banned
Fair point. I think the fact that you can simply bolt them on if you've already installed the ancillary upgrades (intercooler, downpipe) vs a big turbo setup that can require a lot more work depending on whether you go with a pre-built kit or not. This is especially so if you're talking about a custom build that may require more boost management and tweaking to get both good power output and reliability.

This is interesting, and understandably not uncommon in the aftermarket performance parts industry. Not trying to call you out or anything, but we've never had issues with running their upgraded TTRS turbochargers, and we've installed several to date. Unfortunately we haven't had a lot of Gen 1 TSI installs just yet due to the lack of public knowledge on them, and of course, the aforementioned price hike over your standard K04. At least there are finally a few tune options available now. I will take this into account and have my technicians double-check the tolerances on the next turbo that we get in from them though.

To everyone involved in this conversation, my intent is not to debase anyone or their preference of turbocharger; I simply enjoy hearing multiple opinions and experience from several different viewpoints. If you think I'm doing something to attack you, my sincerest apologies, that is not my intent at all. This should be a simple, civil conversation among adults to help improve the community, not tear it apart.

From my recollection, the tte420 was only made for the R for a while. Of course, cutting the end off and welding a different outlet on is all that would've been needed (such as CTS or AWE k04 turbos), but Simon had told me quite a while back they would have an official turbo for the mk6 gti out soon. I opted k04, ported and polished the hotside myself, and installed it since money was tight, and I didn't want the wait time either.

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
From my recollection, the tte420 was only made for the R for a while. Of course, cutting the end off and welding a different outlet on is all that would've been needed (such as CTS or AWE k04 turbos), but Simon had told me quite a while back they would have an official turbo for the mk6 gti out soon. I opted k04, ported and polished the hotside myself, and installed it since money was tight, and I didn't want the wait time either.

This is correct. And don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the TTE turbos. We've installed several and they have been very reliable, it's just that they don't really put out what I would call amazing performance for the money. United Motorsports has several good tunes available for the TTE turbos, which is always nice.

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
been trying to find my loba logs since this convo started lol. they might be on an old inoperable computer :(

I hear you on the old computer situation. We used to have this one old Dell PC that we ran our dyno off of for almost two decades that bit the bullet with only partially backed up dyno runs. We had several thousand runs on there of all sorts of cars with tons of different configurations.

I'm also kinda ticked off when customers don't opt to have us run logs on their setups when they're on the dyno. I know it's fairly selfish of me, but I love being able to pour over all of the data and compare and contrast the information. But hey, it's their time/money, so I shouldn't complain.

FriggenT1

Banned
This is correct. And don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the TTE turbos. We've installed several and they have been very reliable, it's just that they don't really put out what I would call amazing performance for the money. United Motorsports has several good tunes available for the TTE turbos, which is always nice.

I got my UM tune from you guys (k04) and although I cannot say I like dealing with UM, you guys have always been quite pleasant to deal with, so :thumbsup: for NGP.

I still am having high rpm misfires, which just sort of started, not right at the time of tuning, and I need to lower the gap to .023 from .025, so that's probably the only area I'm not happy with, but that could be carbon, coil pack(s), etc, etc.

FriggenT1

Banned
I hear you on the old computer situation. We used to have this one old Dell PC that we ran our dyno off of for almost two decades that bit the bullet with only partially backed up dyno runs. We had several thousand runs on there of all sorts of cars with tons of different configurations.

I'm also kinda ticked off when customers don't opt to have us run logs on their setups when they're on the dyno. I know it's fairly selfish of me, but I love being able to pour over all of the data and compare and contrast the information. But hey, it's their time/money, so I shouldn't complain.

I'd like to get some logs from my tune actually. It may need an adjustment. I added a forge WGA, which didn't cause any issues with the tune other than I was able to spike 25 psi in 3rd or 4th (with a big ass IC) from 22 psi. Oddly enough, going WOT up through the gears, it only spikes 19 or 20 with each shift. I really don't get that.

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
Charles, did you find the LOBA 4xx pricing?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I shot my supplier an e-mail to get the latest pricing on their EA888 Gen 1 turbos about an hour ago. I'll be out of the office at around 1 PM EST today unfortunately, but as soon as I get an update from them I'll post some pricing here.