GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ModShack intake installation

DaBeef

Appears that this intake gives me better MPGs

I thought I would post my impressions of the Modshack Intake. I've had it for a month now and it is definitely superior to the stock box. Throttle is better and the power seems to be more linear or predictable. I've had the APR Stage I tune for about a year so on my 2009 6 speed GLI. I've had plenty of power for driving in and around LV since chipping the car. Since installing the intake, I have noticed is an increase in fuel efficiency. I keep very meticulous records and always have so I know when my car is sick. Anyway, I moved into my new house in May which is just off of the interstate and my work also is just off the interstate 16 miles away. For the time after the move and before installing the Modshack (beginning of August) my average was a little under 29.1 MPG, mostly to and from work for a total of 2600 miles. Since installing the Modshack I'm averaging 31.9 MPG which is nearly a 10% increase. The number of miles is only 1250 and part of the miles is a trip to Utah. The trip to Bryce Canyon NP is over a mile higher than my house and I recorded 30.8 for that leg (some sightseeing and going nearly a 1/2 mile down to get to the hotel from Bryce NP is probably responsible for some of the loss in MPGs). On the way back we were doing 85-90 MPH and with some city driving thrown in after getting home, I got 32.3 MPG. Last year's trip to the Grand Canyon before the mods and with a 65 MPH speed limit (so I was probably doing 75), I got 31.2 on the downhill leg and a combined of 29.2 MPG. So time will tell if the numbers hold up but I'm fairly confident that I'm getting at least 1.5 MPG better than before the intake. I can't really say if the APR Stage I gave me much of an improvement as when I first moved to LV I moved several times (buying a house here is a bitch) so my commute wasn't consistent (road condition or traffic) plus I didn't have the car all that long before I did the APR tune. I will update this if things change and before it gets much colder which can alter MPGs.

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned
im seriously considering another one of these. i miss it. easy install, etc. easy as pie. the VW tech I know seemed to think it was a bummer because it partially sucks in hot engine bay air but then others say that doesn't matter because the air temps are so hot at turbo anyway that it doesnt matter.. makes the power delivery more linear too..