GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My brother is getting a prius. Need help!

FF_animal

Ready to race!
how bout a 2012 gti dsg with APR Stg 2(v2.4), APR Intake, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone Mount and 034 Subframe Collars

its the perfect car for a brother with 10 grand

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't give up on your brother now! This is clearly a cry for help and he needs you now more than ever. I think there are several things you can do for him.

1) Make sure he knows that there are many other car options available for $10k.

2) Email him listings for used cars. Keep it subtle - no more than 25 per day.

3) Ask him when he started hating himself and find out if there is anything you can do to help him. Tell him how upset you are hearing him talk about hurting himself like this.

4) If necessary make up lies in order to plant subtle doubt in his mind. "What do you think about that new story linking Prius batteries to cancer?" "I've heard that Europe is planning to ban them because of all the engine fires" "Did you hear that CR rated them as the car you're most likely to die in when involved in an accident?"

Remember that he needs your love now more than other. Don't quit on him!

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Don't give up on your brother now! This is clearly a cry for help and he needs you now more than ever. I think there are several things you can do for him.

3) Ask him when he started hating himself and find out if there is anything you can do to help him. Tell him how upset you are hearing him talk about hurting himself like this.

4) If necessary make up lies in order to plant subtle doubt in his mind. "What do you think about that new story linking Prius batteries to cancer?" "I've heard that Europe is planning to ban them because of all the engine fires" "Did you hear that CR rated them as the car you're most likely to die in when involved in an accident?"

the one about making up lies is good. what if you also started your own car news website dedicated to making plausible sounding safety concern articles about the prius and also maybe subtle hints that it makes you gay and or affects your testosterone levels>>>????

ben_m

Ready to race!
Why not look at the 2nd gen Honda Insight. Quick check seems that they can be had for 10K with relatively low mileage. Also, it might help him take advantage of HOV lanes for commuting purposes.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion

Haha this is awesome.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
What's your hybrid sound like?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
LOL "clean diesel"

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
If he needs a commuter... get something that's gonna be cheapest to run with hardly any maintenance. Like a used electric car...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/6035324807.html

This fiat 500e is about $5800 ish. If you have a way to go to a dealer auction you might be able to get a Fiat 500e even cheaper.

Then use the left over $$$ for a fun weekend car like an S2k or mk5 GTI.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion

I can't really add much else to this other than you may need to go behind his back to set up an intervention and talk to his close friends, family members, co-workers, medical professionals, and possibly even local clergy members. Be sure to discuss the toll of your brother's behavior while still expressing care and the expectation that he still has time to change. Remember that your brother can't argue with facts or with your emotional response to the problem. For example, begin by saying "I was upset and hurt when you got 54mpg"

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
alternative idea what if you get behind his back and garrote him while hes in the drivers seat of his prius. itl be like a mercy killing

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'm not a fan of the Prius appliance, but if my brother wanted to buy one so what. Life is too short to worry about such things.

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not a fan of the Prius appliance, but if my brother wanted to buy one so what. Life is too short to worry about such things.
^This.
If he was inclined to get a GTI or something sportier he would try to do that...then the OP would be "brother tries to have me chip in to buy him a GTI"...

Btw, I would love to see how you can get a 500e and GTI mkV, or even worse, a S2K with the "change" out of a $10K budget :mad0259:

He wants a Prius, let him get it.
If he wants some extra uuumpph when on e mode, he could also look into a Volt...that thing has some torque, and so does the 500e, but rear passengers are far worse with the Fiat.
If he doesn't commute yuge miles a day and charging is not an issue in his area, 500e lease is a steal.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

zrickety

The Fixer
10k buys a lot of car...hot hatches abound. I would put him in a 2.5 Golf if he wants boring. A used Civic is the obvious pick. Mazdaspeed 3? Even a second gen Mini Cooper if you can find an unmolested one.