GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tired of bubbling sidewalls

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
Hey all,

So, once again, my P-Zero Neros on Detroits have bubbled another sidewall on a pothole. This is the 6th tire I have replaced for this reason, always a front tire as well. Luckily I bought a wheel/ tire contract with my dealership when I got the car, which has paid for itself for the most part. However, it will be done at the end of the month, and I don't really want to be dealing with this issue anymore at $150+ a tire.

I am thinking about moving down a wheel size to a 17" for my daily driving. I currently have a set of Winter Contis that are going on 9 years old on 17" MSWs that have served me faithfully, but are beginning to show their wear.

Will going down a wheel size and to a higher profile tire help?

Side note: Apparentlythe P-zeros I use are being discontinued.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Downsizing should definitely help. I also bubbled 2 P Zero Neros on 18" wheels.

If you want to stick with 18", buy your tires from somewhere that offers replacement coupons. I popped a new tire within 1 week of install. With the coupon, they sent out a new one same day.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If you want to stick with 18", buy your tires from somewhere that offers replacement coupons. I popped a new tire within 1 week of install. With the coupon, they sent out a new one same day.

x2 on this

Discount/America's Tire offers that ("tire certificates"). They vary based on the price of the tire, but it might be like $10-15/tire on a $100-150 tire and they replace the tire if they can't repair it

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
x2 on this

Discount/America's Tire offers that ("tire certificates"). They vary based on the price of the tire, but it might be like $10-15/tire on a $100-150 tire and they replace the tire if they can't repair it

Its a good deal. They also do free repair to the tire so if you get a nail or something they will plug and rotate for free.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Driving in NYC, I've went through 2 Pirellis and 3 bent Detroit wheels. I gave up and now run 16" wheels in the winter and 17" wheels during the summer...No issues thus far

thzpcs

Passed Driver's Ed
17s definitely help with sidewall issues. Other than that, tires are just going to bubble if hit hard enough.

Hoosier Daddy1

Ready to race!
Are the roads really this bad? It takes a lot to pinch the side wall and bubble a tire. Why don't you consider changing the brand of tyre? There will be better options with stiffened sidewalls...instead of going through the hassle of finding wheels and changing etc.