GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Question

JustinT

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I had a local shop do my oil change for my GTI. I believe they used 5W30 Mobil 1 Oil(Fully synthetic). They set my miles for next change about 5K apart, I have about 2K miles left for the next change. But, my oil dipstick says I have minimum oil. Am I allowed to add a different type of oil just to add some more or do I have to put the same exact type and brand?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, as long as it is the same viscosity for the car (5w40 or 0w40)

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Oh okay, so since the shop put 5W30 should I put the same or 5W40?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is weird they used 5w30. Our specs are 5w40, and the M1 is usually the 0w40 European full synth blend.

Back to your original question, anything that is 5w40 works. I prefer Liquimoli

JustinT

Ready to race!
That is weird they used 5w30. Our specs are 5w40, and the M1 is usually the 0w40 European full synth blend.

Back to your original question, anything that is 5w40 works. I prefer Liquimoli

Yeah, I read that it would be fine for our cars. I might just probably ask them to change out the oil completely, and bring my own oil for them to put in. Thanks!

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I read that it would be fine for our cars. I might just probably ask them to change out the oil completely, and bring my own oil for them to put in. Thanks!

Just grab a quart and add some. No reason to change oil completely. My FSI eats oil all the time. Next time, I would just bring your own in, thats always what I do.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Buy 2 quarts of oil. Add one to your car to bring the level up & put the other in the trunk for emergency use. Never run your car low on oil. If you can't find the weight or kind you want use what is available.

JustinT

Ready to race!
Just grab a quart and add some. No reason to change oil completely. My FSI eats oil all the time. Next time, I would just bring your own in, thats always what I do.

Yes sir, thank you again!

JustinT

Ready to race!
Buy 2 quarts of oil. Add one to your car to bring the level up & put the other in the trunk for emergency use. Never run your car low on oil. If you can't find the weight or kind you want use what is available.

Thank you! Good advice

Hoosier Daddy1

Ready to race!
Solid advice. Just as reference look at the approval rating for the oil in question. Our cars are VW 502 approval. Long as it fits you can use. Found that Total doesn't cut it, Pentosin burnt off a bit too quick. Shell has been solid and always recommended by guys I deal with

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
i use Mobil 1 0W40 european formula and have had no issues once o ever and zero oil consumption

JustinT

Ready to race!
Solid advice. Just as reference look at the approval rating for the oil in question. Our cars are VW 502 approval. Long as it fits you can use. Found that Total doesn't cut it, Pentosin burnt off a bit too quick. Shell has been solid and always recommended by guys I deal with

I'll try it out, thank you !

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Our cars can eat up a lot of oil and it is within VW's specs. I always check mine and top it off every couple weeks or so, and I always buy an extra quart when I change my oil. I go through it in about 7k then that's when I change my oil again