GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

REVO tuned GTI keeps going through coil packs

rasetsu

Ready to race!
Here's my story:

Right after my car, which I bought new off the lot, turned 30K miles after about 3 years of ownership I had APR stage 1 tune installed. Almost exactly 100 miles after, I blew a coil pack on the highway while accelerating in 4th. I limped to an Audi dealership that was along my route and installed R8 version coil packs in their parking lot and no more misfire. I replaced the plugs with NGK PFR7S8EG at 45K miles as part of routine maintenance. I am now 5 year and 55K miles into ownership and have not had any misfire incidents since that day. ECM has been scanned at least 3 other times since for faults and no stored soft codes either.

Take it as you wish but to me, swapping to R8 coils right before or after a tune is just cheap insurance to avoid the hassle and expense of being stuck in a jam with paying full retail for coils if you are lucky enough to be near a dealer and swapping them out over a hot engine in the summer.

dcarony

Ready to race!
Here's my story:

Right after my car, which I bought new off the lot, turned 30K miles after about 3 years of ownership I had APR stage 1 tune installed. Almost exactly 100 miles after, I blew a coil pack on the highway while accelerating in 4th. I limped to an Audi dealership that was along my route and installed R8 version coil packs in their parking lot and no more misfire. I replaced the plugs with NGK PFR7S8EG at 45K miles as part of routine maintenance. I am now 5 year and 55K miles into ownership and have not had any misfire incidents since that day. ECM has been scanned at least 3 other times since for faults and no stored soft codes either.

Take it as you wish but to me, swapping to R8 coils right before or after a tune is just cheap insurance to avoid the hassle and expense of being stuck in a jam with paying full retail for coils if you are lucky enough to be near a dealer and swapping them out over a hot engine in the summer.

What if I'm stock?