GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

vinamack

Do ya mind posting the version info screen?

here you go. Hardware and software are the same but android auto is enabled.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
So, is there a unit capable of running android auto that doesn’t have the fader bug? Or, so there a way to permanently fix that issue?

vinamack

So, is there a unit capable of running android auto that doesn’t have the fader bug? Or, so there a way to permanently fix that issue?

Ive been checking sellers on aliexpress everyday. lol nothing new yet. My guess is either a bug in the firmware or maybe a simple VaGCom coding will fix it? I dont know much about it though.

ChancreScolex

Ready to race!
Can anyone comment on the battery drain rate if you don't have the correct CAN gateway revision? I think I'm starting to have issues with my battery but I'm also on the OEM one and it's just about 6 years old.

I have a 2012 GTI and I think it's rev H from the VAGCOM data below:

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: 7N0-907-530-V2.clb
Part No SW: 7N0 907 530 H HW: 1K0 907 951
Component: J533 Gateway H42 1620
Revision: H42 Serial number: 100911F1001007
Coding: 350002
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
VCID: 356147F19C90E5E92C-8060

Bourne96

Just bought one of these off eBay for $220 as my RCD510 ate it. I have a 2011 Jetta SE.

Can anyone else comment about the audio sounding worse with this HU if you have more than 4 speakers? I have 4 plus two tweeters, so some posts here have me worried that they won’t be getting enough power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
Got an RCD330 Plus. Love it, works really well, especially for the price! However, I really hated the USB cable sticking out of the head unit, and it's a bit annoying there's no plug at the back for the USB switch harness.

Decided to solder in a USB extension, which just required pulling apart the unit and soldering to the back of the connector. I used the USB switch harness cable (the one that fits in with the switch buttons), but be warned... the cable colours look like they're the same as USB, but do not match correctly at the connector. I had to use a multi-meter to check continuity at the connector and cable ends to ensure what I soldered in was correct.

I then made some blanking plates - to hide the USB connector and card reader - out of self-adhesive blackboard vinyl. Came out looking really tidy, the matte finish blends in nicely.

Last edited:

sholksmagen

Passed Driver's Ed
Got an RCD330 Plus. Love it, works really well, especially for the price! However, I really hated the USB cable sticking out of the head unit, and it's a bit annoying there's no plug at the back for the USB switch harness.

Decided to solder in a USB extension, which just required pulling apart the unit and soldering to the back of the connector. I used the USB switch harness cable (be warned, the cable colours are the same as USB but do not match).

I then made some blanking plates, to hide the USB connector and card reader, out of self-adhesive blackboard vinyl. Came out looking really tidy, the matte finish blends in nicely.

Looks super clean! I was thinking of doing something similar after seeing a post on a Russian site about it. Any issues running the extension? Does Carplay and Android Auto have an issues with it?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
Looks super clean! I was thinking of doing something similar after seeing a post on a Russian site about it. Any issues running the extension? Does Carplay and Android Auto have an issues with it?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Thanks! It calmed my OCD, really hated that USB cable sticking out at me. Reason for blanking plates is to stop mates plugging something into the head unit while another phone is plugged into the extension, which would cause carnage. Also, it hides the ugly connectors, which also calmed my OCD :lol:

No issues with CarPlay, it started right up :) Can't comment on Android Auto though.

dcnz

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine arrived today. Wasn't wrapped up very well in the box and had no protector over the screen. The unit doesn't look new either. Can definitely tell it's been used. I gave it a good clean and it came up looking new. I still installed it though as I couldn't put up with the Eonon any longer.

This is the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-MIB-Ne...-w-Cable-6RD-035-187-B-Version-B/182657545674

I also had to trim the antenna adapter they supplied as it wouldn't have fit.

Overall I'm really impressed with it. I replaced my very slow Eonon GA6153F unit and this is lightning fast compared to that. Start up time is nearly instant. Audio quality has improved significantly over the Eonon and factory RCD310. I read about the audio issue after using Siri, but it was fine for me. FM/AM reception is really good, it's really clear compared to the Eonon. I had no problems tuning stations on either band. The eBay description said no RDS but it's working for me. I also like the fact that when you go from playing music from an external source back to the radio, the radio audio is muted.

Apple CarPlay works as expected, as does Bluetooth. Call quality & music playback is clearer through Apple CarPlay compared to Bluetooth, but the Bluetooth quality is still really good. And I have a feeling I will use Bluetooth more than Apple CarPlay, especially around town.

Next thing to do will be to scan for any errors using VCDS.

I really like the idea above of soldering in another USB connection. Might have to give it a go.

Tristanmin

Mine arrived today. Wasn't wrapped up very well in the box and had no protector over the screen. The unit doesn't look new either. Can definitely tell it's been used. I gave it a good clean and it came up looking new. I still installed it though as I couldn't put up with the Eonon any longer.

This is the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-MIB-Ne...-w-Cable-6RD-035-187-B-Version-B/182657545674

I also had to trim the antenna adapter they supplied as it wouldn't have fit.

Overall I'm really impressed with it. I replaced my very slow Eonon GA6153F unit and this is lightning fast compared to that. Start up time is nearly instant. Audio quality has improved significantly over the Eonon and factory RCD310. I read about the audio issue after using Siri, but it was fine for me. FM/AM reception is really good, it's really clear compared to the Eonon. I had no problems tuning stations on either band. The eBay description said no RDS but it's working for me. I also like the fact that when you go from playing music from an external source back to the radio, the radio audio is muted.

Apple CarPlay works as expected, as does Bluetooth. Call quality & music playback is clearer through Apple CarPlay compared to Bluetooth, but the Bluetooth quality is still really good. And I have a feeling I will use Bluetooth more than Apple CarPlay, especially around town.

Next thing to do will be to scan for any errors using VCDS.

I really like the idea above of soldering in another USB connection. Might have to give it a go.

Seem like you bought from the same seller as mine. Your unit even might be the one I sent it back. Make sure to try to access via VCDS since I sent back due to the issue with accessing via VCDS. But I didn’t have another car to test it out at that time so might be my car problem too. Anyway, enjoy! This is really a worth upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mojoooo0

Passed Driver's Ed
battery drain

Can anyone comment on the battery drain rate if you don't have the correct CAN gateway revision? I think I'm starting to have issues with my battery but I'm also on the OEM one and it's just about 6 years old.

I have a 2012 GTI and I think it's rev H from the VAGCOM data below:

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: 7N0-907-530-V2.clb
Part No SW: 7N0 907 530 H HW: 1K0 907 951
Component: J533 Gateway H42 1620
Revision: H42 Serial number: 100911F1001007
Coding: 350002
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
VCID: 356147F19C90E5E92C-8060

Hey ChancreScolex, I also have a 2012 GTI and do not have any battery drain issues. I did replace my battery maybe 6 months ago due to it no longer holding a proper charge.

I let someone detail my car and they left the audio on until the battery drained. Afterwards it could no longer hold a good charge and i had to jump it once in awhile. VW also tested the battery had to be replaced. They say to replace the battery around that many years if it ever fully discharges.

dcnz

Passed Driver's Ed
I did a 6 hour round trip yesterday. The RCD330 Plus worked perfectly and I used Spotify via Apple CarPlay the entire time.

I did notice something weird and I don't know if it's in some way related to the radio install or not, but when I shift out of the Park the gear indicator on the MFI disappears.

So today I did a scan in VCDS and got the following errors:

02-Auto Trans -- Status: Malfunction 0010
16-Steering wheel -- Status: Malfunction 0010
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
56-Radio -- Status: Malfunction 1010

I cleared the CAN Gateway and Radio errors which got rid of the CAN and speaker errors related to the radio except for:

Address 56: Radio (J503) Labels: None
Part No SW: 6RD 035 187 B HW: 6RD 035 187 B
Component: Radio 534 5314
Revision: -------- Serial number: VWZZZ4H6243120
Coding: 16000400040005
Shop #: WSC 00078 790 00217
VCID: 46852043F1253F2EE11-8013

1 Fault Found:
02873 - Control Module for Back-Up Camera (J772)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00110100
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 98
Mileage: 53844 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2027.14.16
Time: 12:35:08

And then there are these errors:

02-Auto Trans -- Status: Malfunction 0010
16-Steering wheel -- Status: Malfunction 0010

They both have the error code 00194 - Ignition Key Removal Lock. And the fault date is a week prior to installing the RCD330 Plus. So I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.