GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3,000 Mile Oil Change Interval Is Dead

xxmagnusxx

Ready to race!
From: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Like-the-55-Chevy-the-nytimes-3825041162.html?x=0&mod=pf-family-home

“There was a time when the 3,000 miles was a good guideline,” said Philip Reed, senior consumer advice editor for the car site Edmunds.com. “But it’s no longer true for any car bought in the last seven or eight years.”

Oil chemistry and engine technology have improved to the point that most cars can go several thousand more miles before changing the oil, Mr. Reed said. A better average, he said, would be 7,500 between oil changes, and sometimes up to 10,000 miles or more.

Just I'd add more fuel to the fire. :p

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
I was talking to my dealer last week about the 15,000 km oil changes and they said that it's only a guideline. They suggest that you do it every 7,000-8,000 km's. Most things that are in our manuals are just a guide for all vehicles.

plat

Ready to race!
I was talking to my dealer last week about the 15,000 km oil changes and they said that it's only a guideline. They suggest that you do it every 7,000-8,000 km's. Most things that are in our manuals are just a guide for all vehicles.

It is hard to take accept a dealer's suggestion. Obviously, they want you to go through more oil changes so they make more money:) That suggestion might be biased. I recommend following the factory owners manual and follow the recommendations of the manufacturer instead.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
Well for me I've always done my oil changes every 5000 kms when it came to other vehicles I've owned. I always thought with having their (VW) oil changes so far apart that they were trying to get more money out of me down the road when shit goes wrong. I had a talk with my mechanic(not the dealer) and he said the same thing thing. So you know, either way someone is trying to get money out of me somewhere. Regardless if it's the dealer or other mechanics lol.

FinalOne

Ready to race!
apart from oil chemistry technology improved recently engines also improved. its a fact that now cylinders are being laser cut therefore reduce friction. i would do oil changes exacly as manufacturer says i dont worry much about it. my previous peugeot 306Hdi had 20000 km oil changes (within a year) and is still working well after 200000 km on it.

FinalOne

Ready to race!
I'm doing every 5k miles because I'm chipped, and that puts more stress into every component

the GTR version produces 270 BHP whats the difference between a chipped GTI and the GTR engine? you guys are worrying too much, relax a bit.
im not saying its bad too change your oil frequently, but its ok to follow manufacturers instructions

plat

Ready to race!
I always thought with having their (VW) oil changes so far apart that they were trying to get more money out of me down the road when shit goes wrong.

The manufacturer's recommendations are also sort of bragging rights for them. The longer the oil change interval means their engines are well-engineered and 'greener' (less waste). It is for their best interest, as well, as the consumer's best interest when they make claims on their extended oil change intervals. Their word is printed and published. If the warranty's out but you have followed their oil change recommendations, it will be hard for them to deny you warranty for a catastrophic engine failure due to extended oil change intervals.

I do have to agree that frequent oil changes have become habitual because mechanics, manufacturers, oil companies, and even experts have been pounding this in our heads since engines were developed. But, those days are gone. This is precision cutting-edge technology we are talking about :)

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
Yeah! I did my first oil change at 6000 because I didn't want to wait until 15,000. My next oil change is at 15,000 and I'll do every 15,000 after now. Thanks guys!

FinalOne

Ready to race!
there are mechanichal/industrial standards regulating these stuff, manufacturers wouldnt be benefited by longer service intervals thats for sure.

FinalOne

Ready to race!
Yeah! I did my first oil change at 6000 because I didn't want to wait until 15,000. My next oil change is at 15,000 and I'll do every 15,000 after now. Thanks guys!

here in Cyprus the very first oil change is at 3K Km after that every 15K Km

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
"Following what the manual says" is a great idea, if they made the manual specifically for your car, with your driving habits taken into account.

If you look at most car companies, they're packaging all versions of the same year/model together in one manual. For instance, there is the Golf and the GTI, both in one manual. So, you can't take everything at face value if you drive a GTI, when the basics in the manual are for the Golf, which sells a butt-load more units than the GTI does. It makes business sense for them to do it this way, honestly. But, 10K miles on a 2.5l engine are lighter duty (in general) than the ones on a smaller displacement, higher-revving, forced induction engine. So, you can't assume that the manual's mentioning 10K miles as a standard as Gospel when deciding on things that could potentially damage your engine.

Best-case would be to take an oil sample at 3 or 5 thousand miles, send it off and have it analyzed. That way you're seeing what YOUR car does to oil on YOUR driving patterns.

Me? I will change at least every 5k miles, because I treat every stoplight and stop sign like it's a christmas tree at the track. In my old ride, I used to do it every 2500-3000 miles. It was a high-power LS2, so it was even harder on the oil than the 2.0t.