GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New tires unusually stiff

somerset91

Ready to race!
Hi. I downsized to Classix 17" with Hankook Ventus all-season touring tires.
I was very surprised that over most highway surfaces these tires are way stiffer than the 18" Continental Extremecontacts that I had on. Not only is the 'amplitude' of the road imperfections felt the same, it has a harsher nature, whereas the Continental felt like there was a layer of rubber and air that helped 'round it out'. I did get the tires used, but they're less than a year old and certainly newer than the continentals.

I checked the air pressure late last night and it's right at 35 PSI. I did use a cheap pencil gauge, but it can't be off by more than 2-3 PSI right?

I'm using 10mm/15mm H&R spacers with extended bolts, but I am not experiencing vibrations.

What could be some other culprits to this woe of mine?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
From what I understand the Conti DWS is a softer tire. My GTI wears 225-45-17 Conti DWS-06 tires & they ride great. Much smoother than the 18" Dunlops my car came with. Sorry I have no experience with those Hankook tires.

zrickety

The Fixer
Just a guess that they are a heavier tire? The Continentals are usually the lightest out there, which is less unsprung weight and makes a big difference. I know the 17's give you more sidewall, but if the overall combo is heavy you will feel it.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
My first thought was the material used in the sidewalls. I run which PSS which have a steel reinforced wall, so they're known to be on the stiffer side. I looked up the hankooks and I saw a mention of rayon and hard rubber in the sidewall, but that doesn't look like anything that would make it too stiff. Then I looked up the continental and they didn't even mention anything, sooo it's possible the continental are just generally softer.

somerset91

Ready to race!
Ah I see. Welp, I'll just have to stick with these until I feel like I've gotten my money's worth...I'll definitely check out the DWS when I'm due a change, heard great things about those.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Curious why all-seasons? Your location says LA and we don't have seasons here unless your driving up to the snow. I would go with DW's over the DWS's unless your up in the snow quite a bit. Most have said the DW's handle wet better than the DWS's as well. Something to consider when it comes time for new tires. I've been driving on the DW's for about 20k miles and love em.

somerset91

Ready to race!
Curious why all-seasons? Your location says LA and we don't have seasons here unless your driving up to the snow. I would go with DW's over the DWS's unless your up in the snow quite a bit. Most have said the DW's handle wet better than the DWS's as well. Something to consider when it comes time for new tires. I've been driving on the DW's for about 20k miles and love em.

Currently have all-seasons because they came with the 17" classix wheels.

I think DW doesn't come in 225/45/17 size. The Extremecontact Sport does, however. they're billed as the replacement to the DW.

zrickety

The Fixer
Without looking, 235/40 may be an option...I went wider on my 18's with no regrets.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Driving in Dry with DWS all the time you quickly wear through the S layer compound pretty quick, so you're down to the DW layers.

somerset91

Ready to race!
Is it worth trying to get my wheels re-balanced? I took a different road that usually has the second smoothest asphalt in my local area and even there I could feel little undulations...these are just insanely stiff and wondering if it could be that they're not completely balanced.

I'm down to play with different sizes if that gets me more tire options...I have vag-com so adjusting the speedo/odo isn't an issue.